Deez Nuts
This One's For You

by Jezzaxe USER (1 Reviews)
June 4th, 2010 | 12 replies

Review Summary: "A stale, weak fusion band that is too idiotic to even be called pretentious."

Ah, Deez Nuts.

Once a hilariously danceable rapechild of hardcore and hip-hop; now a stale, weak fusion band that is too idiotic to even be called pretentious.

Spawned after the disbanding of Adelaide’s I Killed the Prom Queen in 2007, former drummer J.J. Peters decided to ‘do a Dave Grohl’ and start a solo project, in which he would record each of the instruments, multi-tracked, himself.

Heavily influenced by the hip-hop scene and classic hardcore punk, Peters released an EP (Rep Your Hood) after positive touring of some demoed material. Personally, I loved this release. It was brilliantly self-aware, offensive and in-your-face, and it provided a fun setlist for a live show that parodied it’s own scene for the mindlessness of itself. Plenty of gang-vocals and simple hardcore scene lyrics, it was great fun with a bunch of friends to kind of laugh at yourself and the whole hardcore scene.

2008, Deez Nuts releases his first full-length studio album, ‘Stay True’. Delivering more of the fun, energetic lyrics and song themes of the previous release, Stay True also gave up some of the humour and self-awareness for a slightly more serious and ultimately bland record.

Now, in 2010, we are presented with the sophomore full-length, ‘This One’s For You’. The album opens with a down-the-line hip-hop intro with the title ‘How About Some Hardcore?’. I thought this was going to be similar to the intro track of Rep Your Hood and give me some sort of punch in the face that this was going to be a straight up rapcore album, but the out of place hip-hop goes for the whole track and segues into the first ‘official’ track of the album ‘Don’t Call it a Comeback’.

Now, at this point, after the strange hip-hop introduction, I’m already a little disappointed that this album has lost Deez Nuts’ signature Self Awareness and humour, but low-and-behold, track two starts with some pleasingly in-your-face hardcore punk speed-riffage and yelling.

I’m happy.

That is until track three begins. I sit. And listen. And I’m disappointed already. More of the same Deez Nuts, but with a little more of the serious tone of the previous release. Track four begins. And I listen. Track five begins. And this is where I become irritated. The song, entitled ‘DTD’ is a party song praising Peters’ drinking crew, Drunk ‘Til Death. It’s mindless and idiotic, and I wait impatiently for the next song.

Track six, ‘Go Veg’ is a nineteen second hardcore bombardment that tells the listener to ‘go veg! go veg! go veg!’ It’s funny, it’s hardcore and I like it. But after the nineteen seconds is over, it’s just track seven, ‘I Don’t Give a Mother ***’.

I sit and listen through the whole album, and I’m obviously far too optimistic that it will get better, but at the end of the record I accept the fact that Deez Nuts is getting stale. I really don’t care much for this album at all, and quite frankly, it’s music written by idiots, for idiots. Peters says that he wrote this album in two weeks. It shows.

I can imagine how fun this might be at the next live show, if you’re into that whole mindless parties, hardcore music and womanising thing , but I’d really rather go back and listen to Rep Your Hood for the lolz, because - to me at least - it’s self-parody of that whole scene.

Dudes love pussy. Bitches love dick.

Have a laugh, Deez Nuts, and get over yourself.

June 4th 2010

i love DN but u can tell JJ wrote this in 2 weeks

June 4th 2010

deez nuts.

quoting you:

"Personally, I loved this release."(old EP)

"it’s music written by idiots, for idiots."(new EP)

eeeerm, yes.

forfeit life mb?

don't hate on them that much if it's actually the first release you do not enjoy.

anyway, I know how you feel. I for example loved mayday parade's first. then their best singer got fired and the second record became awful. but I don't hate on the band and say "they make music written by idiots, for idiots", I only say they have to be seen as "dead"/don't make good music _anymore_.

think about it and mb give "This One's For You" some more spins before you judge.

their most mature output up to date, tbh.

September 23rd 2010

shithouse; fuck the "scene".

September 25th 2011

Who names their band Deez Nuts. Seriously.

October 1st 2011

Shatty... I cant believe members of IKPQ are in here

November 21st 2011

I like how idiotic everything about Deez Nuts is. This is what I put on when I want to just have metallic background music when I'm exercising.

June 25th 2012

got the bitches givin' head

July 16th 2012

What the awful did I just listen too?

March 26th 2013

Band are a joke. They headlined a show l went to. Only went to see Northlane and In Hearts Wake. JJ is a fucking tool.

March 26th 2013

Wow I was the 1 person that had given it a 4 till now. Only song with any staying power is the one with the guys from BMTH handling most of the instruments and Oli Sykes on vocals.

April 13th 2013