Stone Temple Pilots
Stone Temple Pilots

by Mike Stagno EMERITUS
May 31st, 2010 | 45 replies

Review Summary: A swing and a miss.

Last September, Alice in Chains released Black Gives Way to Blue, and showed us that even '90s rock artists can pull off successful comeback records and sound pretty cool doing it. But for every Alice in Chains there's a Hole, who released a mediocre record in Nobody's Daughter last month. Or a Marcy Playground, whose Leaving Wonderland… In a Fit of Rage was noticed by approximately nobody. The Smashing Pumpkins' Zeitgeist was a middling effort with little replay value (and the two EPs they've released since then were awful). As for Creed, well… haha.

Stone Temple Pilots falls into the latter camp, and for many of the same reasons. Black Gives Way to Blue was a great album because Alice in Chains was inspired; not only did it give Jerry Cantrell and co. a chance to show that they were still relevant, but it also allowed them to pay homage to a fallen friend. It was a dark release, certainly a far cry from the hard rocking debauchery of a song like "Between the Lines", but it was meaningful all the same. I wouldn't expect Stone Temple Pilots to write an album as gloomy as Black Gives Way to Blue for obvious reasons; they've never been that kind of band to begin with and they haven't gone through the same *** that Alice in Chains have. But half-assed references to the drugs they used to take (used to take) and swine flu really don't cut it. Stone Temple Pilots are on autopilot from the start, and a couple good songs spread out over a 41 minute runtime do little to deter from the feeling that the album is just kind of there.

Musically, Stone Temple Pilots is very much Dean DeLeo's record. The mix is dominated by DeLeo's heavy guitar, which takes cues from the artists that influenced the band, especially '70s and '80s brand of hard rock. At times the results are kind of neat; the atypical "Cinnamon" hankers back to '60s guitar pop and makes for an excellent change of pace after the five dreary tracks that precede it. There are a couple groovy licks scattered here and there which are half decent, but otherwise it's a tepid exercise in mediocrity difficult to even feign interest in.

For what it's worth, the album is rarely terrible. The band's only truly awful moments come during forays into bluesy rock (think Aerosmith) in "Huckleberry Crumble" or through Scott Weiland's unbearably obnoxious swagger in "Hickory Dichotomy". But it isn't good enough that Stone Temple Pilots isn't terrible. It isn't good enough that Weiland sounds kind of cool conjuring grunge vocalists of old in the chorus of "Take a Load Off". It isn't good enough that songs like "Peacoat" or "Hazy Daze" are only enjoyable if you try hard enough to like them. It isn't good enough that this isn't Velvet Revolver (though that is a huge plus). Point is, the album isn't without positives. But these moments do little to make up for the utter lack of inspiration on the part of Stone Temple Pilots. And until they can demonstrate the kind of imagination that has fuelled successful resurgences in the past, Stone Temple Pilots will be hard pressed to breakout of the half-baked reunion phase.

Funeral for a Friend ConduitPropagandhi Failed States
Tycho DiveMegadeth Th1rt3en
Fair to Midland Arrows and AnchorsArch Enemy Khaos Legions
2.9
good
CheapPurple (3.5)
STP returns after nine years to release a refreshing new album which hearkens back to 60s psychedeli...

lateoctober (3.5)
There's nothing here as undeniable as Interstate Love Song or Sour Girl but that doesn't stop the St...

Mike Allen (2.5)
While Alice in Chains reminded us that grunge is not dead, the Stone Temple Pilots are reminding us ...

May 31st 2010

Oh come one it isn't a 2.5.

greg84
May 31st 2010

I liked Stone Temple Pilots from the 1990s as well as Velvet Revolver a lot. This album is disappointing though, implied from the first listen.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

lateoctober
May 31st 2010

I really think people should lay off the Alice In Chains and grunge camparisons, nicely done but I just can't agree.

Romulus
May 31st 2010

Yeah I don't dig this too much, good review.

But half-assed references to the drugs they used to take (used to take)

This was gold.

PearlDrummer20
May 31st 2010

"I really think people should lay of the Alice In Chains and grunge camparisons"

^this

EVedder27
May 31st 2010

Nice Mike, you hit the nail on the head. This was incredibly underwhelming.

MassiveAttack
May 31st 2010

So how was Marcy Playground's last outing?

does this have plush

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

theilladelph

Satellite

20816 Comments

Your fucking cocaine party fucking creeps me out. When did Scott Weiland show up? How long's he stickin' around?

Digging: Spoon - They Want My Soul

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

Also me neither.

JWT155
June 1st 2010

I'd be disappointed if I expected another Purple, I find this to be a really fun record with some catchy riffs and a solid rock album. Lyrics and lack of diversity in Weiland's vocals are my only complaints.

Ire
June 1st 2010

Kinda hate the last sentence of the first paragraph.

Other than that the review is great.

June 1st 2010

Basically what JWT said. I didn't come into this expecting anything. I'm actually glad they didn't try and rehash past glories. Would've been a miserable failure.

EBTCardMania
June 1st 2010

who we kidding band has never been that special anyway

Purple was fucking tits dude. And to a lesser extent Core and Tiny Music

Wizard

19399 Comments

Oh come one it isn't a 2.5.

Yeah, it's worse.

Digging: Khonsu - Traveller

>.>
On a side note, happy first day of june Wiz.