Peter Wolf Crier
Inter-Be

by Super Grover USER (32 Reviews)
May 31st, 2010 | 14 replies | 3,440 views

Review Summary: If Justin Vernon had locked himself in his grandmother’s attic instead of a cabin in Wisconsin, we probably would’ve gotten Inter-Be.

I hope with all my heart that Peter Wolf Crier isn’t one of those bands that get pigeonholed by their influences. It doesn’t really affect how the music is interpreted, true, but I’d hate for a duo with such genuine talent to become one of those groups that can’t go three words into a review without being compared to their predecessors (see: The Tallest Man on Earth). Comparing Inter-Be to more seasoned artists such as Bon Iver and M. Ward is inevitable, if only because it’s already happened a dozen times over, but through every steady drum beat or wailed note on their debut Peter Pisano and Brian Moen are simply refusing to be classified. Therein lies Inter-Be’s greatest strength--- Peter Wolf Crier doesn’t sound like a band trying to imitate any other artist--- they sound like Peter Wolf Crier.

If the basis of Inter-Be was truly written, as Pisano claims, over the course of a single summer night, I truly would have loved to experience such a night for myself as the emotional depth and variety on the album is more than impressive. Pisano’s passionate vocals hit home from the first words of “Crutch & Cane,” a track that does little to dispel the Vernon comparisons (you can almost imagine a chorus of “my my my’s” at its conclusion) but endears itself to the listener immediately with it’s warm, head-bobbing beat. “Down Down Down” is more of a straightforward acoustic piece, but the bittersweet edge of Pisano’s chorus would sound equally welcome as the soundtrack for an empty bar or a crowded campfire. The first half of the chilling “Saturday Night” is a good taste of the band without Moen’s beats, making the moment when he joins Pisano at the halfway point all the more effective.

Even playing second fiddle to Pisano’s songwriting and vocal ability, Moen’s drumming provides the backbone that effectively separates Peter Wolf Crier from their peers. Highlights include essentially carrying the mid-tempo jaunt of “You’re So High” and proudly sending off the record in the final seconds of “In Response,” but rather than usurping the spotlight he works better playing off of Pisano’s moods. From the upbeat and nearly anthemic (“Hard as Nails”) to the more passionate and pristine moments (“Untitled 101”), the duo switches flawlessly from mood to mood while keeping the same sound--- minimalistic, yes, but with layers and layers of depth underneath.

In possibly the most absorbing moment of Inter-Be, the finale of “In Response” right after the album has reached its final climax, Pisano and Moen slowly strip away every layer of themselves until there’s nothing left except a single ambient chime. This is possibly the best example of Peter Wolf Crier work--- calculated yet raw, alternating from inviting to abrasive with merely an acoustic guitar and a drum. Pop harmonies in tracks like “For Now” abound throughout the record, but never to so great an extent that the band loses their personal feel. Inter-Be isn’t perfect, but it’s a bold and comfortable first step for a band with endless potential in front of them, and might just turn out to be the debut album of 2010.

Friendzone DXThe Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle

Lowborn

To Be Kind

Reflektor

May 31st 2010

Check this out here: http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/16 because it's really really good.

May 31st 2010

Nice. I'll probably check this out when I get the chance.

Skimaskcheck
May 31st 2010

Summary alone has got me captivated, will read the review in a sec

edit: nice and concise, pos! what's the deal with the '---' though? '-' not good enough for ya?! ; )

May 31st 2010

Thanks guys, definitely worth a listen. and skimask it's just a habit I got into using that I've been trying to cut down on. I use so many hyphens in my reviews that it gets kind of ridiculous.

Skimaskcheck
May 31st 2010

Haha, fair enough, no big deal it didn't detract from the review

Will go listen!

Donkey
June 10th 2010

I'd like to reiterate, DEFINITELY Worth a listen.

June 10th 2010

Glad to you hear you like it Donkey. I feel like these guys deserve a bit more attention around here but they've been buzzing around on the internet lately so hopefully it'll come in due time.

September 12th 2010

really good, terrible it's been ignored

September 12th 2010

yess I'm happy you liked it. this is probably going to be a top 10 this year for me when all is said and done. it's not like groundbreaking but it's so, so well done. and more people really do need to hear it.

tombits
December 12th 2010

Should get this, sounds cool.

Douglas
December 12th 2010

So yeah, why haven't I seen this before

Digging: James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical

December 12th 2010

yes guys both of you should give this a listen. it's really easy to enjoy

love the first track

December 12th 2010

agreed, probably my favorite on here.

dooooo i want you