Muse
The Resistance

by Genrebender12 USER (2 Reviews)
May 28th, 2010 | 18 replies

Review Summary: Muse-The Resistance

What allways strikes me about Muse is how much edge there allways have been in there sound, especially on "Origin In Symmetry" but in reality, they are pretty formularic. - Like in the first single "The Uprising" the choros sounds so similar to past material compositionwise that if it was sung by anyone else than Mr. Bellamy you could still tell it was Muse, which is both good and bad i guess, and which is by far not the only example.

But that aside. The album itself is a bit more streamlined soundwise, yet a bit less genrewise when we both have some Timbaland like beats in "Undiscoled Desires" thou beautifully sung by Bellamy, to some Queen esque in "United State of Eurasia" Maybe a bit too much atleast one place in the song, thou it is beautifully executed by Bellamy´s piano and sining.
The record allso contains a three-piece song called "Exogenesis" which is really just most of all piano, and imo it lets down a lot to hope for when you in the beginning wait for a change and a eventually complex rock klimax will kick in. But it doesn´t, thou again beautifully executed by Bellamy which once again shows us his multiinstrumental talent!

The Good: Muse has that distinct quality that if you really ARE in love with Bellamys voice they won´t really let you down, and there IS good melodies and song distorted guitars, maybe just too few if you have hoped for a new Absolution or Origin, and if you love emotional hymns there are definetely something to come after, mainly in "Guiding Lights" which has a main melody that i can´t remember the name of, but you will definetely recognise it from somewhere else, reminds me a little of "Invicible" from BHAR.

The Bad: The album has no Knights, New Born, Bliss, Time is Running out ore Hysteria, and overall lacks the energy from those. It has pop songs, it has hymns, it has classical pieces and some dirty rock guitar but even there they fail to come up with some really stunning catchy riffs like in New Born or Supermassive, and overall too many halfbaked ideas to call it one of their best.

2.8
good

tiesthatbind
May 28th 2010

This is a really messy review, spelling mistakes all over the place. Basically this looks like it was written in less in 20 minutes.

HenchmanOfSanta
May 28th 2010

Tons of spelling mistakes.
Not much substance.
Totally unnecessary review.

I would neg if it wasn't your first.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

HenchmanOfSanta
May 28th 2010

And why would you rec Jeff Buckley and Dream Theater for this album?

May 28th 2010

umm...well...the summary was good i guess

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

H61
May 28th 2010

bad

Counterfeit
May 28th 2010

why would you rate this a 3.5? HUH?! HUH?!

check that.

tiesthatbind
May 28th 2010

And that's just the first paragraph.

read that.

Emim

You missed

good and bad i guess

ihopeuchoke
May 28th 2010

Was the writer in the 3rd grade?

May 28th 2010

there IS good melodies and song distorted guitars

probably.

and I didn't caps 'is'..

Dryden

i forgive you

Ire
May 29th 2010

Dre. You should listen to this.

red0
May 29th 2010

album is not as bad as people say

Ire
May 29th 2010

If you're a fanboy I can understand but aside from Absolution and maybe Origin Muse are trash for me.

vanderb0b
May 29th 2010

I agree with the rating, but the review is not very good. Proofread before submitting next time. Won't vote cause its your first.