Bullet for My Valentine
Fever

by Wapaxalypse USER (1 Reviews)
May 26th, 2010 | 17 replies | 4,446 views

Review Summary: Is change a good thing or a bad thing for Bullet For My Valentine? Will they rise to the occasion or will the stumble and fall?

Bullet For My Valentine has brought their name to become almost a iconic band for modern metal, alongside with Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold. Started off pretty emo sounding, and through their adventures through The Poison, and Scream Aim Fire, what would Fever leave Bullet's fans off with? Something sweet and enjoyable? Something completely and utterly amazing? Or will the taste just be straight up bitter?

It is actually sort of a mix between the three, but not so much "utterly amazing"ness. This album, Fever, had been something I was personally looking forward to for quite a while, and when Bullet For My Valentine released the tracks on their Myspace page I couldn't help but take a listen. This wasn't the Bullet I had always known.

The first track, Your Betrayal, starts off synchronized combination of guitar and drums that you can't help but start to try to headbang to. Very great intro, sets a lot of the mood for the album, but the intro of it just ends. It sets you up for this completely amazing and awesome song that could become the headbanging icon of the year, but at the end it just has whispers of "Am I going insane?" Well, thanks Bullet, way to kill the mood, even if there are a couple of typical metalcore almost "banging" sounds coming from low chords on the guitar, which count for almost the whole song. But once the chorus comes, the song picks up.

Next, is Fever, title track. Pretty fast and solid, catchy chorus, and that's basically it for the song. Except for when Matt Tuck goes "Come here you naughty girl," you finally get to hear that great bass in the background, something of a rarity that comes from Bullet For My Valentine.

Following that is The Last Fight, one of my favorite tracks on this album. Very repetetive, mainstream as you must, but sometimes that's a good thing. I would definitely not mind if you put this song on repeat over and over again, it's got decent lyrics, great chorus, nicely placed solo, and great guitar riffs that stand out. Drumming is probably the best on this track, but for this album drumming isn't much sadly, compared to the previous BFMV albums.

After The Last Fight is A Place Where You Belong hanging in The Last Fight's shadows. You can't help but feel dull at how slow and lame this song turns out to be. But definitely some solid guitars in there. Nothing fast or too exciting, but they have definitely have gotten better with acoustics compared to "Tears Don't Fall"'s acoustic version.

Pleasure and Pain comes after A Place Where You Belong and brings you up to pace with the rest of the album. Yes, indeed the chorus can get rather annoying sometimes, but it's definitely great with all the guitars and drumming building up. You can feel yourself rushing the stairs on the bridge of the song and then the chorus walks in on you, things settle down and it all just tags along quite well into a solid song. Except for the unneeded screaming that comes in, which is pretty sad, because the only screaming on this album is usually irrelevant and lame, especially compared to The Poison.

Alone breaks through with quite a great guitar, the highlight for the guitar for probably this whole entire album, drumming is also quite good as well. Great song, pretty good lyrics, but when it comes to this song, you get de ja vu written all over.

Breaking Out, Breaking Down bursts through the doors with the catchiest lines on the whole entire album. "We can blame the world forever, We can just escape together. So are we breaking out, or are we breaking down?" It just rings through your head with satisfying delight. If you pay attention, you can get a great sound from the bass in this song, drums don't show much effort, just pretty much the same beat over and over again for the song. Guitars are nothing extrordinary, but for some reason this whole song pulls through greatly.

Bittersweet Memories. When I had heard this on Myspace, I fell in love with the song instantly. Yes, the whole song is rather boring, mostly focused on the lyrics, but when the chorus comes you better be ready. I don't get that feeling anymore. I don't know if I wore that song out too much or maybe I was just too excited about the new songs, but even now, this is still my favorite song on the album. When your out buying only a couple songs from this album, keep this one in mind.

Dignity comes right after Bittersweet Memories, great vocal work, and... that's about it actually. Chorus is once again very catchy and doesn't get annoying. This song is just vocals practically. Bass also rings in your ears time to time.

Begging For Mercy, another single from the album, sadly is probably one of the heaviest songs on the album (so that's not saying much... at all). Very cool lyrics, nothing special, but the typical "emoness" of them sticks out from the glam of most of the lyrics in the album. Catchy, like most of this album. Just too darn catchy...

The album comes to a close with Pretty On the Outside, one of the better songs of the album. The lyrics are really dull on this though. You can predict the lyrics your predictions will be true. Too cliche. Nothing specially musically really. Just another heavier song (vocally). But apparently most of the songs on this album are all about the vocals... Sadly.

All in all, it's nothing great, but you should definitely check it out sometime.

Cons:
- LESS SCREAMING!!!!! (but that could be good or bad depending on who you are)
- No instruments stand out.
- Dull lyrics
- The solos don't even compare to Scream Aim Fire
- More pop sound.

Pros:
- Catchiness is key
- All solid songs
- Most of the time the songs are distinct and you can tell if you're on a new song or not if you're not paying attention for a while.

Songs to check out:
The Last Fight
Breaking Out, Breaking Down
Bittersweet Memories

2.6

Foxhound
May 26th 2010

wtf that is the lamest band name ever.

ZomarK
May 26th 2010

i like the heavy stuff as well, their older albums were far superior in almost every way. but in all honesty this album really isnt as bad as people make it out to be, they've definetly gone more mainstream and depending on the person, it may not be a bad thing. Ill for sure be looking for the more thrashy bullet next time around, but this really does have redeeming qualities to make it a worthy addition to their discography.

PS. proof reading can be your friend as well, only a few errors, no biggie

Spec
May 26th 2010

Fix the summary before assholes neg you! Pretty good review though the spacing could use some work.

Spec
May 26th 2010

Also I like that you didn't go on dictionary and choose a bunch of big words so you looked smart! I'll pos.

May 27th 2010

they get worse with every album

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

JohnnyBiggs

Good review, crap album.

JamieTwort

19929 Comments

I have no intenetions of getting this album, i agree with KILL they are deterioating with each album, they're debut EP was their best, that says it all!

Wapaxalypse
May 27th 2010

Sorry it might not be the best, this is my first review...

JamieTwort

19929 Comments

For a first review it's pretty solid, good job!

BigHans
May 27th 2010

Album isn't nearly as bad as everyone says.

lostforwords

I agree with BigHans.
Also the review feels much closer to a 3 or 3.5 than the 2.5 you've given it.
Good review!

Dryden
May 27th 2010

"Album isn't nearly as bad as everyone says."

no theyre right

fr33convict
May 27th 2010

This shit had a 1.7 when it first was posted till the BMFV fags started upping the score by giving 5's.

buckfutter
May 27th 2010

Jesus, this band is so bad. You figured that since they have at least a lil bit of talent they'd be able to make a respectable metal album. Ugh

BreakdownsXplease
June 2nd 2010

Step down from their previous albums.... this is boring.

Locrian
June 4th 2010

Good for a first review. You may want to avoid track by tracks in the future though.

Wapaxalypse