Hellacaust
Disgust

by B R A N D O N S C O T T USER (103 Reviews)
May 26th, 2010 | 36 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: War Metal

When it comes to music classifications, people come up with some pretty weird genres. With tags like “trash metal”, “troll metal” and worst of all “whalecore”, it’s a wonder how anyone takes the genre seriously anymore. Of course to go along with such horrid titles, it is not very often that anything worth note rises from these fictitious scenes. Coming from a genre curiously titled “war metal”, many would think that Nova Scotia based band Hellacaust (which once again is a pretty ridiculous name) would apply to this unwritten rule. However upon listening to their third album Disgust the only conclusion that can drawn from the band is that they fucking slay, and pretty damn hard at that.

So, you may be wondering, what exactly does war metal sound like? If Disgust is a viable example, then it is another offshoot of black metal, albeit much more and intense and many times more technical. Instead of depending solely on the tried and true tremolo picking technique, songs like opener “Whore” display guitarists Hell Bastard and Crucifuck providing spastic guitar lines, weaving intricate disharmonious melodies with more traditional black metal guitars. Open to showing some variety, “The Same Old Shit rages with the crude soul of crust punk, while “Feeding the Soul” borrows the dissonant gallop of thrash. Despite the fact that the music is harsh and in your face, it retains a weird sense of accessibility that only furthers its enjoyability . Vocalist Necromancer's fast paced delivery owes just as much to hardcore as it does to black metal with his harrowing vocals displayed best on schizophrenic closer “What We Say Is Real”. On it, his high pitched hardcore influenced screech is matched by his just as excellent gutturals. Unwilling to fall by the wayside, drummer Hellspawn proves to be just as versatile as his bandmates; from simplistic d-beat drumming to thrashy double bass rumbling to lightning speed blast beats, there isn’t a moment on Disgust where the seemingly eight armed drummer isn’t pounding the shit out of his kit.

For anyone looking for more intense, technical black metal, then this is an album for you. If you’re looking for something that sonically smashes you in the face with a sledgehammer, then this is an album for you. So, for this once, ignore all your instincts to reject an album classified as “war metal” and get Disgust immediately.

I know you want to tell us that we are wrong
And I see it's just your own fear driving that thought
And I still would not have had it any other way
Finding fault in us is what will keep you sane

Cara Neir The OverwatchCarved Cross Demo III
Black Beasts IIAzarath Blasphemers' Maledictions
Doth Datura WrightiiCara Neir Sublimation Therapy

May 26th 2010

One has to listen to the album to understand why i went about the review as I did. Also special thanks to Adam Thomas for editing.

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

infantsorrow
May 26th 2010

You do not know a holocaust, or Hellacaust as this blapheming band puts it, until you've crossed the path of the One True Lord and Savior, Me!

What

SlightlyEpic
May 26th 2010

you know i'm going to give this a listen

You make me proud :D

SlightlyEpic
May 26th 2010

i'm feeling pretty war right now, man

I'm about to war myself

May 26th 2010

The title of war metal goes to either Blasphemy or Sacrofago but whatever I'll listen to this.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

Relinquished
May 26th 2010

feeling like warring right now

May 26th 2010

The only other bands that i know that are classified as war metal are Cobalt, Hellacaust, 1389 (with Zima at least) and possibly some Marduk

May 26th 2010

1349 and Marduk are not war metal in the least tbh. Cobalt really isn't either.

Lyrics and themes about war =/= war metal

May 26th 2010

It's not 1349 it's 1389. Different bands.

lobby
May 27th 2010

i've been waring my body for the last six months to save up for uni fees

Relinquished

Dryden

Wizard

19441 Comments

Lyrics and themes about war =/= war metal

Huh? War metal can be thrash, death, or black, doesn't really matter about the music, it's more the themes and lyrics.

Why does this rule so hard Brandon? WHY?

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

June 5th 2010

so Lamb Of God is war metal because they have lyrics and themes about war?

Wizard

19441 Comments

You could classify a bit of their music as such. I'm just saying that music has nothing to do with the whole genre because how would you classify it when it branches out over death, black, and thrash metal?

SCREAM!