Wintersleep
New Inheritors

by Mike Stagno EMERITUS
May 20th, 2010 | 29 replies | 14,851 views

Review Summary: Wintersleep continue to develop and flesh out their craft, and sound really good doing it.

The release of New Inheritors sees Wintersleep in an interesting position. Each of the band's first three records were met with varying degrees of acclaim – their self-titled debut and untitled sophomore efforts were well-received locally, and Welcome to the Night Sky even won a Juno for best new artist in 2007 – but they haven't exactly hit it big yet. Whether or not New Inheritors actually becomes Wintersleep's breakthrough record remains to be seen, but it's catchy enough to appeal to a wider audience. That isn't to say Wintersleep confine themselves to popular alternative rock aesthetic; though they certainly have a solid grasp of this, there is a lot more going on. In a way, New Inheritors both expands on the elements found in Welcome to the Night Sky, while still covering new ground. Wintersleep haven't lost any of the charm that has been a staple in their music, but this time around they get more creative instrumentally.

Frontman Paul Murphy has always been rather important to Wintersleep's sound. He was the main draw on cuts like "Weighty Ghost" and especially "Astronaut", both of which combined fairly insightful lyricism and super catchy hooks exceedingly well. Although Murphy remains a significant member (just listen to "Terrible Man"), New Inheritors sees the rest of the band step up their game, to great successes. The album is simply bigger, louder, and dare I say better off for it. It's no coincidence that New Inheritors' best songs are the ones which see Wintersleep loosen up. The long, guitar-heavy instrumental passages featured in "Mausoleum" are the strongest example of this new found prowess, and considering the accompanying pop flare, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to call it one of the band's better songs. And though much of New Inheritors features some sort of instrumental break, not all are based around driving guitar rock. The prominence of jangling guitars in "Echolocation" make for a nice change in pace, while "Experience the Jewel" has a sparser build, before going all out in the final minute.

New Inheritors isn't devoid of peppier moments. "Black Camera", "Encyclopedia" and even the title track represent a collection of more upbeat works. The album lacks a truly experimental piece ala "Miasmal Smoke & the Yellow Bellied Freaks" (the closest we get is a shorter emotional build up in "Baltic"), but given the album's modest structuring, this is hardly a problem. If that makes New Inheritors a bit of a safe album, so be it. More importantly, it sees Wintersleep develop and flesh out their craft, and sound really good doing it.

Funeral for a Friend ConduitPropagandhi Failed States
Tycho DiveMegadeth Th1rt3en
Fair to Midland Arrows and AnchorsArch Enemy Khaos Legions
Mike Allen (4)
Wintersleep has demonstrated that they have become exceptional at what they do; creating the soulful...

Mikesn
May 20th 2010

This is more or less all I've been consistently listening to lately.

SeaAnemone

19703 Comments

fantastic... I'm so so excited to hear this.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

SeaAnemone

19703 Comments

on second though, I'm expecting this to be great-- but nowhere near WTTNS. I fell in love with the emotional build-ups (Mismal Smoke is my favorite)... oh well, I have nothing against Wintersleep if this is a solid 3.5... what I'm expecting.

Malteserz
May 20th 2010

album cover upload is of terrible quality

Mikesn
May 20th 2010

I've heard people say that it's taken them a number of listens to get into this, but I really enjoyed it from the start. Mausoleum and Blood Collection are boss

armfarm
May 20th 2010

its lacking the post rock influences of Welcome to the Night Sky, which saddens me. but overall its a good album.

Ponton
May 20th 2010

Nice, I guess this is another on my list to check out.

Stream for those interested, but I'll put it in a news post, too:

Mordecai.
May 20th 2010

lol I thought these guys were a metal band

/dumbass

jimay333
May 20th 2010

Live Wintersleep is a thing of beauty.

megadeth101
May 20th 2010

Nice review Mike. I was kinda disappointed by Black Camera. This review brings my hopes up.

Jimbo282
May 21st 2010

These guys rock live, can't wait to pick up this album tomorrow.

jingledeath
May 21st 2010

Really liked Welcome To The Night Sky, gotta hear this soon.

tombits
May 21st 2010

It's a good review, if a little lacking in description of the band's actual sound. Putting some bands in the recommended section should fix that.

Apollo
May 21st 2010

who would you compare this too?

toolpeth182
May 21st 2010

listening to this now, about halfway through, and i'm liking it, but not as much as WttNS. maybe that was their climax oh well.

AliW1993
May 21st 2010

Good review. I liked this, need to listen to it more though.

BobbbyLight
May 21st 2010

Wintersleep is probably my favorite band and I have been around from the beginning. This is pretty easily their worst CD. It's missing way to much of the darker stuff from their past, which was also their best stuff.

It's like they tried to put a radio friendly coating over their music and it did not come out well. Of course to each their own, but I think this is a major disappointment.

YouAreMySilence
May 21st 2010

Welcome.. was incredible, the two songs Ive heard from this were not. Listening to the stream now though, the opening track is pree great.

Dryden

1-10 which do you say it was

tcat84
May 21st 2010

after 5-6 listens Dissapointing for me, loved this band since thier second album, find the lyrics/vocals repetitive and annoying at times, missing the jammy feel it had on the past albums

some of the interludes in songs are top notch though, really improved with the stringed instruments (cello, violin)

best songs are black camera, mausoleum, and baltic(would have fit great on wttns)

ps. wearing my wttns shirt right now actually