Zebrahead
MFZB

by Fox83 USER (9 Reviews)
September 23rd, 2005 | 18 replies | 16,345 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Iím going about this review differently than most Iíve done simply because this album has been in such heavy rotation in my CD player over the past year. With that said, itís particularly hard for me to view this album as anything but. A track by track opinion just canít cut it and, in fact, Iím not sure if I could have even accomplished this when I first heard the CD.

Imagine a CD which incorporates pop/punk/rap. Drop your first thoughts of Linkin Park. ZH came first.

MFZB is one of those albums that you can pop in your CD player, dare a friend to pick a number, one through fifteen, and watch them grin over the realization they managed to ďrandomly" select and high energy, catchy, and hard-driving piece of work. Each song contains the staccato lyrics of Ali as Justin soars his vocals into a chorus which youíll love having stuck in your head the rest of the day. Highlights include Rescue Me, Hello Tomorrow, Blur, Into You, Falling Apart, Runaway, and Dear You Ė but please donít let these songs limit your investment in checking this album out. If you like the first song, youíll love the rest of the album, and vice versa. Itís just that kind of album.

This album molds so well into a solid effort on itís own terms. Zebrahead critics could use this as proof of an album with lack of unique song differentiation. I disagree. The core of these songs remain the same, but Zebrahead has managed to create an album of balls-to-the-walls pop/punk which fails to bore your ears.

Iím just going to shove this out of the picture right now: ďWaste of Mind" and ďPlaymate of the Year" were not great albums. Hardcore ZH fans or ska/punk fans hail these albums. My opinion is that Waste of Mind lacked structure and solidity, and Playmate was all over the place in terms of musical direction.

PROS:
Lyrically, ZH isnít all that bad. Some points are a tad predictable, but they never fail to maintain an earnest feel to their words.

Guitar work is highly underrated on this album, but this is understandable since there is obvious potential which is seemingly restrained. Look at it however you want.

If youíre a fan of pop/rock or pop/punk Ė this album is YOUR album. Do NOT pass it up!

CONS:
Less ska than their previous albums. It does seem that a little flavor has been stripped from the band, but this promises a new direction.

It is what it is. While the album is solid, this comes with the fact that each song holds back from being more unique than the others. While each song holds its own for the most part, there is the sharp hint of room to expand their sound.

Zebrahead Broadcast to the WorldEve 6 It's All In Your Head
Lit LitMxPx Panic
System of a Down MezmerizeFall Out Boy From Under the Cork Tree
KrisGodly (4.5)
Overall MFZB proves to be a pop punk album, a step down in creativity from Waste of Mind's Ska influ...

labonza01 (5)

Zebra
September 23rd 2005

I used to Zebrahead a long long time ago.

Good review.

FauxApathy
September 23rd 2005

I have the song What's Going On by Zebrahead. I'm thinking of getting Playmate, since you mentioned that there was more ska in that area.

Nice Review!

SamRI
October 10th 2005

Pretty good review.
NEVER have heard of them before, saw you're review and I decided to check them out, they are awesome. I like Playmate of the Year album myself.

labonza01
December 15th 2005

I love zebrahead, this cd has been in my cd player for the longest time. good reveiw, but i think this deserves a 5 instead of a 4

Two-Headed Boy
December 27th 2005

my friend (and AV8RS drummer) is obsessed with these guys.

nirvana_gate7
March 19th 2006

Zebrahead are magnificent, good review.

Descendent
June 6th 2006

Broadcast to the world Release Dates:
June 30 in Germany and July 3 in rest of Europe.

craigy2
September 27th 2006

i haven't got any zebrahead albums, but what i've heard i like-a lot, could anyone recommend what would be the best album to get first? cheers, nice review by the way

KillingInTheNameOf
October 25th 2006

Get this!!! It is the best album of the most underrated band ever!

Kestero
September 10th 2007

Brilliant. First band I'll see live too :D (More due to location than anything else - I want to see much more music than I can.)

SylentEcho
July 31st 2008

Good album. I got into them because of the "Smackdown Vs Raw" game on which theyre featured in. "Alone" and "Falling Apart" are ****ing awesome.

Motiv3
July 9th 2009

Ive heard 3 songs from this, really catchy and well done, maybe i should check out the whole album.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Parallels
April 25th 2010

Waste of Mind is wwayy better than this

I remember this.

April 3rd 2012

Not something I could ever really get into I don't think though.

Maybe I lied. Gettin' all nostalgic n' shiiiiiii

Eulogize
June 6th 2012

Alone and Falling Apart were on Smackdown Vs Raw 2006.

Fuckin' nostalgiaaaaa

Youtellme
September 24th 2012

More like Day of Reckoning.

That was mah shit years ago, and i always listened to Falling Apart before a match, though i'm laughing at myself because i used to think it was heavy.

Pretty good still, but heavy... lol, wtf was i thinking.