Rust in Peace

by Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) USER (72 Reviews)
September 23rd, 2005 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

At firts glance I bet the majority of you are thinking this is going to be yet another Megadeth fanboy review. However, the only reason I bought this album is because Dave Mustaine used to be in Metallica. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but that reason alone made me want to purchase this album and then review it. So, here we are.

What Is Good About The Album?

The first thing that struck me about 'Rust In Peace' was the guitars. Every riff cut the air like a knife through butter and every solo oozed genius. My favourite song is definitely 'Tornado Of Souls'. Okay, the lyrics are not as good as they could be but every band member plays his ass off. The same could be said for the opener 'Holy Wars... The Punishment Due' which is a showcase for the wonderful riff writing skills each member possesses. 'Hangar 18' is probably the best song on the album in terms of solos, boasting roughly eleven top-notch lead breaks. The lyrics are alo very catchy and I was singing along after a few listens and glances at the booklet. Thta said, the artwork is pretty darn cool too!

What Is Not So Good About The Album?

I could ramble on for ages about the brilliance of the album but that is likely to become tedious. So I will Get to the worse aprts of the album. To be honest, there is not a huge lot wrong with this album. The production is good, the songs are good and the overall quality of the album is excellent. However, there are the odd filler songs here and their. Personally, I can't really enjoy 'Poison Was The Cure' because it is a bit too frantic and punk-fuelled to suit my more metallic taste.The intro to 'Five Magics' is also way too long and 'Dawn Patrol' is ridiculously short and unnecessary. Lyrically, Dave relies on almost juvenile ideas (what is up with the lyrics to 'Lucretia'?) and this may annoy some people. His voice in general may also annoy people but it is very original.

Why Buy?

Because this is speed metal at its very best in terms of tecnical ability and songwriting. If you can forget about the lyrics that is... there are alsop some cool bonus demos if you buy the expanded edition too.

Track Ratings

Tornado Of Souls 5/5
Dawn Patrol 3/5
Rust In Piece 5/5

Pig Destroyer Book BurnerIon Dissonance Breathing Is Irrelevant
On The Might of Princes Where You Are and Where You Want to BeDecember The Lament Configuration
Isis In the Absence of TruthKerouac Cold and Distant, Not Loving

nice review :thumb:
I'd give this album a 3.5 at most

September 23rd 2005

This isn't a nice review at all. It doesn't go into any detail and basically just says "Buy this album because it's awesome." I already know that, but that's because I DO have the album, and I wouldn't have really guessed otherwise just from reading this review.

September 23rd 2005

OK, I really disagree with how you say that "Poison Was the Cure" is too frantic and punk-esk. If you can claim to be a Metallica loving metal-head, than Kill 'em All will be one of your favorite albums. The essence of that album is punk-esk and frantic, except for a few slower songs such as "Seek and Destroy". I think you've lost your marbles if you can like Metallica that much and not like "Poison Was the Cure". You also say that you bought the album because Mustaine wrote some songs from Kill, right? Then it obviously must be one of your favorites if that can convince you to buy an album by itself. This album is my favorite Megadeth album and I think that all the songs are totally sweet on it. You can't dislike bass intros. Come on now. Also, just because a song doesn't progress in 10 seconds to the most intense part does not and cannot mean that it is lacking. I love the intro to Five Magics. I'm listening to it right now and I am just perplexed at why it is "too long". It's dark and dramatic and does not deserve what you said about it.

September 23rd 2005

Also, "Take No Prisoners" Deserves a 5 out of 5. One of the best songs on the album.

September 23rd 2005

This is a good album with lots of strong points but i think it is A LITTLE bit overrated. And Dawn Patrol could have been a kick ass song. Seriously...

September 24th 2005

Okay okay. 'Poison Was The Cure' was a little bit underrated here by me. Actually my favorite Metallica album is 'Ride The Lightning' but kill is a close second. Also, the intro to 'Five Magics' start off as cool as hell but after several listens I (personally) get a little tired of it. I didn't say it was a bad intro, just a little itsy wincy bit too long for my personal liking. Thnx for the comments tho.

September 24th 2005

Best Megadeth album :smash:. It has pretty much everything. It's always in my Walkman.

Site Copyright 2005-2014