High on Fire
Surrounded By Thieves

by Joe Schmoh USER (17 Reviews)
May 15th, 2010 | 16 replies | 9,992 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Burgeoning heavy metal loaded with influences, this is metal as it was meant to be made. Also, Matt Pike riffs like hell.

From the ashes of Sleep rises yet another high functioning metal band, the Matt Pike led High on Fire. As opposed to groovy, foggy stoner metal atmospheres, we get something much more high energy and heavier. As seen on their debut The Art of Self Defense, High on Fire sort of started off with a mesh of the groove-oriented sound of Sleep’s Holy Mountain with heavier riffing and darker lyricism, only slightly less sedated than Sleep’s material. With their sophomore effort, Surrounded By Thieves, we get a bulk more heaviness and less groove, which works into a mind jogging, no frills, heavy metal record that doesn’t really grow on you.

Surrounded by Thieves hasn’t completely lost the Sleep brand distortion pit, quite the contrary. It’s an album, despite it’s 80s-esqe pulsating rhythms and black metal inspired howls, is still covered with sludgy riffs, and slows down every chance it can. What differ in this effort from others are influences. Sleep was more influenced by 70s rock and drugs, and as a result, it’s bed of distortion rested upon bands like Black Sabbath and it grooved a bit more and felt some melody. High on Fire’s sound on this album is low on frills, high on pure metal. Groggy, down-toned riffs, aggressive shouts, spiraling solos, this is metal as it was meant to be made. In short, Surrounded by Thieves is a metal album made by metalheads for metalheads, as opposed to stoner metal for stoners. There are still minor slips of stonerisms, like the vocal effects and slow paced of the Doom-esqe “The Yeti (Vallad Of)”, but by this album those were starting to disappear in favor of their newer sound. Nowadays, it’s hard to picture High on Fire coming from Sleep, which is a mixed blessing, but at least we now know Matt Pike can absolutely shred on his guitar. What a relief.

Big Boi Sir Lucious Left FootLootpack Soundpieces: Da Antidote!
Sun Ra LanquidityCommon Resurrection
Young Jeezy Trap Or Die 2: Reloaded (Mixtape)Sleep Sleep's Holy Mountain

Parallels
May 15th 2010

short review, but i liked it. its to the point, im not really into this kind of metal, but it seems an interesting listen. pos'd

AliW1993
May 15th 2010

I need to get some more High On Fire, I only have their most recent two, both of which are great. Nice review.

Ire
May 15th 2010

I love Sleep but I honestly cannot like this band. I've seen them twice actually.

rogerdiscoversherpes
May 15th 2010

Only really like Death Is This Communion. Couldn't get into this album so much.

O.J. Simpson
May 15th 2010

i've been digging through this bands stuff, so i'll probalby check out Death Is THis Communion next and then the most recent stuff. I've only heard the early stuff, which is pretty good.

HenchmanOfSanta
May 15th 2010

I have everything except for this and Blessed Black Wings.

Good review, but I think you say "thrills" when you mean to say "frills."

O.J. Simpson

yeah

SteelErectedb4you8er
May 15th 2010

Yeah, I like their whole entire catalogue, but Blessed Black Wings is my favorite. The first and second album are more doomy and the production isn't as crisp as the others, but it fits the sound they were going for on these albums. Good review, Matt Pike does indeed shred.

eggsvonsatan
May 16th 2010

Love high on fire, but surprisingly i've never listened to this one. Time to check it out. However, this review doesn't really say much about the album.

January 30th 2012

great album. some of the sound walls that HOF create are unbeleivable.

Digging: Demilich - 20th Adversary of Emptiness

February 8th 2012

The Yeti!

man I think their albums are way underrated here. I don't understand how the composite rating on this beast is 3.5

May 8th 2012

January 7th 2013

Yes m/

DreamingWithTheDead
July 26th 2013

This riffs better than Blessed Black Wings.

November 12th 2013