Common
Resurrection

by Joe Schmoh USER (17 Reviews)
May 15th, 2010 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 94's Resurrection is a great record, with highlights as high as the sky, but suffers from being too complex for complexities sake.

One song title should automatically give Resurrection true meaning: “I Used to Love H.E.R.”. A song detailing how hip hop evolved and ultimately died through the metaphor of a past love of Common, it’s a brilliant show case of story-telling and is a classic in hip hop. Rappers nowadays constantly try to flip that song, which is unfortunate, as none will do it as well as the mindful song off formerly unknown artist Common’s sophomore release. Now, a question is begged from the listeners: is the rest of Resurrection quite on the level of the legacy making song? Of course not, but it’s still something worth listening to from the mid-90s collection of hip hop gems.

Now, as a sophomore album, Resurrection is a bit of an immature record. Common’s first record, Can I Borrow A Dollar, is a rap record built entirely around two factors: Common’s MCing, and pure fun. Resurrection, unlike his one dimensional debut, shows at least two dimensions throughout, but it’s still jumpy and a bit jagged in flow. Common sort of switches from sentimentalisms, streetisms, and social consciousness like that on songs of “I Used To Love H.E.R.” and “Chapter 13: Poor Man vs. Rich Man” to pure fun tracks that envelop themselves in Common’s individuality like “Thisisme”, “Watermelon”, and “Comunism”. One major derailing flaw in the albums flow is points where Common wants to really take time to show of his ability. His a bit of a syllable packer, going more for lyrical stylings than actual sensical MCing. He starts off the record with the wordy gibberish of the title track, undertoned with jazzy piano loops, and its hard to really believe that the same meaningful “I Used To Love H.E.R.” came from the same record as this song.

Common’s lyrics, however, are also a major asset to the record. Befitting perfectly to No I.D.’s jazzy loops and mellow atmospheres, Common mostly possesses a carefree atmosphere around the mic. He switches his flows around, from mellow, free flowing story telling, to internal rhyming, syllable packing, lyrical swipes at wack MCs. Common’s universally easy tone makes his words ooze from his lips to perfection.

Part of Resurrection’s charm is Common’s wholly effortless rapping, even when lyrically he’s trying to pull syllables out of his ass. It’s all smooth 90’s rap, horn samples abound, chopping drums, booming bass (via No I.D. before he started making beats out of the toilet), and a microphone for the MC to rip. The simplicity of the record, and how everything fuses together, is how Resurrection has been recognized over the years. Even with it's minor flaws, it's still a great record, and it's notable songs make it even better.

Big Boi Sir Lucious Left FootLootpack Soundpieces: Da Antidote!
Sun Ra LanquidityHigh on Fire Surrounded By Thieves
Young Jeezy Trap Or Die 2: Reloaded (Mixtape)Sleep Sleep's Holy Mountain
4.2
Bandido (4)
Common marked his territory in the hip hop world, with this over-looked classic...

O.J. Simpson
May 15th 2010

Generic intro, shut the fuck up.

Counterfeit
May 15th 2010

Way too fucking generic. Nah jk. I wuv joo.

MUNGOLOID
May 15th 2010

i've heard many say that this is Chicago's Illmatic and to some degrees, i can agree.

O.J. Simpson

oh yeah fuck

ALEXGVEGA
November 7th 2010

I literally got an account with sputnik just so I could comment on this review lol. Did you really just say resurrection had a generic intro?? Wordy gibberish? Do you listen to music or do you just skim through it? Check this....

They tried to hold my soul in a holding cell so I would sell
I bonded with break and had enough to make bail
A misdemeanor fell on his knee for the jury
I asked No for his ID and the judge thought there was two of me
Motion for a recess to retest my fingerprints
They relinquished since, cause I was guilty in a sense

Do you not see all of the complex wordplay within the first two lines alone?

I ride the rhythm like a Schwinn bike when in dim light
I use insight to enlight devices hit the skin tight
Words of wisdom wail from my windpipe
Imaginations in flight
I send light, like Ben's kite I've been bright

c'mon.....

I bathe in basslines, rinse in riffs, dry in drums
Come from a tribe of bums
Hooked on negro and mums

C'MON!
If you still see this as generic, then I suggest you take a closer look and analyze these lyrics. I'm sorry, this is just my favorite hip hop album of all time haha, so it pains me to see one of the best songs on the album get blasted like that. I hold this with Illmatic and MMLP as far lyricism go. The entire album is filled with lines like these.

Panzerchrist
February 26th 2012

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the review dude. Calm down.

snoopdogg6969
September 9th 2012

This album is at least a 4... lol you call this music "generic" when it was being made long before any of the bullshit yall listen to today, and everything you listen to probably copied this somewhat... i really just dont get peoples ratings sometimes at all

Ethics
November 4th 2012

not a 3.5 lol
really good album lyrically, which is what i look for the most in rap

TrueBlood
July 5th 2013

such a sick beat on In My Own World (Check The Method)

FourthReich