Vashti Bunyan
Just Another Diamond Day

by Alex Robertson STAFF
May 14th, 2010 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

There's always been a sense of antiquity in the folk music of the '60s and '70s (and its subsequent revival in the past decade); it's all really just a matter of dedication. On her 1970 masterpiece Just Another Diamond Day, Vashti Bunyan had the good will not only to delve full-bore into her little world of lily ponds and trawlermen but also to dress up her tunes so gorgeously that those who listened had no choice but to follow her there. Not only did this release eventually spawn the "freak folk" subgenre that gradually reappeared into the new century, but it also gave birth to a generation of music lovers who weren't stuck in the past as much as reveling in its simple beauties--ones they never got the chance to be exposed to.

As music representative of this "immaculate past", Diamond Day is fittingly simple and stripped-down, Bunyan's gorgeously breathy coo providing a light touch to her smooth folk melodies (usually backed up by her lightly plucked guitar, but often also featuring a wide range of instruments such as fiddle, piano, banjo, mandolin, etc.). The album is often breathtakingly gorgeous, filled to the brim with wide-eyed wonder of the natural world delivered via songs that might just be flawless. Though it's no replacement for the music, one must only look at the cover to see what this album is all about: Bunyan, donned in prarie-like clothing next to her painted furry friends, taking in the wonder of a beautiful world that has long since been shaken out of our imagination by the politicians who are trying to take our jobs.

Teebs E S T A R ATabu Ley Rochereau The Voice of Lightness: Congo Classics 1961-1977
Julia Holter Loud City SongNara Leao Dez Anos Depois
Thelonious Monk Thelonious Monk TrioZahava Seewald and Michael Grebil From My Mother's House
4.2
The Katz brothers (5)

Lookaftering

May 14th 2010

i think this is the first review ive done without a summary--i felt really good when i finished it. thoughts?

May 14th 2010

im also getting continually worse at writing sentences that arent 49583495834 words long

May 14th 2010

holy shit this review is six sentences anyway done posting here

Ponton
May 14th 2010

i like it, straight and to the point

others will complain about length maybe, but you prob already know that

Digging: Gates - Bloom and Breathe

Enotron
May 14th 2010

I actually really like this review. The length and the short, yet descriptive depictions of the albums sound work for an artist like her.

Roach
May 15th 2010

i loved this album at one point

robin

oh man, this album.

rogerdiscoversherpes
May 15th 2010

I've long threatened to delve into 60s/70s folk to see what I could find. I might just start here.

AggravatedYeti
May 15th 2010

well I did ask you for weird pop music.
score.

July 24th 2010

still really good? yep, still really good

ethos
October 30th 2013

dig this review

DogeDaze
March 2nd 2014

i had a disease once called Vashti Bunyan.

Cygnatti

May 2nd 2014

Digging: Billie Holiday - Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday

menawati
May 2nd 2014

like a bit of vash now and again

Digging: Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega

Brabiz
June 6th 2014

Joanna Newsom's Ys reminds me so much of this album.

NorthernSkylark
August 17th 2014

love love love this

Digging: The Jesus and Mary Chain - Honey's Dead

NorthernSkylark
October 9th 2014

everybody, please listen to her new album it's lovely

Chrisjon89
October 11th 2014

was about to say the same thing ^