I Am Abomination
To Our Forefathers

by Caged USER (8 Reviews)
May 14th, 2010 | 32 replies | 16,776 views

Review Summary: Far from an abomination, this album is smart, catchy, and everything similar bands wish they were.

I Am Abomination's debut full-length album "To Our Forefathers" is everything a guilty-pleasure should be - it's fun, it's catchy, and it's highly infectious. However, there are two things that separate this from traditional guilty pleasures - it's smart, and it's actually GOOD! You won't find awful teenage, angst-ridden, heart-broken lyrics on this record, you won't find terribly executed and uneventful breakdowns either. What you will find however, are well-structured songs, great lyrics that actually have quite a bit of depth and intelligence behind them. You'll also find superb musicianship as the band incorporates metalcore-esque guitar riffs and catchy and well-timed synth segments that keep each song fresh and full of energy and heart.

What really drew me in to this was that they were are part of Good Fight, making the likes of Cancer Bats, and This Or The Apocalypse their label-mates. Good Fight typically have their hands in good music (BTBAM, Every Time I Die, August Burns Red) so I figured I had to go out and get my hands on this.

The lead off track "Since 1776" is a great lead in to the whole album. It grabs your attention, and captivates you very nicely. Unfortunately it's the best song on the album, which means what follows may let you down after the intro gets your hopes so high. That's not to say that everything following isn't worth listening to though. You'll find if you start with the second track "Thoughtcrime is Death" that the whole album is actually very good. The only complaint I have throughout is the production, it's slick, but at times can seem over-produced and cheesy, and occassionally the vocals and guitars fuse together and create what I would describe as mixing the color purple with the color orange. However, it's possible to look past these small hang-ups, and they don't detract from the album too much overall.

Every song stands alone very nicely, and has its own style and sound making them all easily recognizable, something a lot of bands seem to forget matters these days. And as a whole this album flows extremely well and is something you can listen to all the way through without having the urge to ever press the skip button. But unfortunately, it can get tiresome after a while (after one or two listens I've generally had my fill of this), which is one major reason I can't give this more than a 3.5.

This album really does have a lot to offer, and although it's not totally free of flaws it is about as good as it gets with pop-core (or whatever CORE you may label this as). It's accessible, it's fun, it's extremely enjoyable. And if you're somebody who really loves what metalcore has to offer but cannot stand the harsh vocals, this is definitely for you. And even if you're a hardcore purist, you can still find plenty of enjoyment with this. Overall, I definitely recommend picking this up, and I can tell you I Am Abomination are definitely a band worth keeping an eye on.

Recommended Tracks:

Sara Bareilles Kaleidoscope HeartRufio Anybody Out There
A Hope For Home RealisBalance And Composure and Tigers Jaw Split CD
Farewell to Freeway Only Time Will TellCounterparts Prophets
VJ90 (3.5)
For now, I Am Abomination will have to just be satisfied being ear candy....

Nick Habisch (3)
A unique style of metal that may please some, irk others...

May 14th 2010

Album's surprisingly decent, much more listenable than their first.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

ikarus
May 14th 2010

the vocals have improved somewhat from the last album but they still sound over processed and painful. the instrumentation is fun though

good review

axetofall517
May 15th 2010

pos'd. i enjoy this. i think the vocalist is really good.

axetofall517
May 15th 2010

definitely reminds me of Protest the Hero a bit.

MrSenior
May 17th 2010

Pos'd good review for a really good album. Yeah, I feel like it's a cross between PtH and Jamie's Elsewhere.

jesusjuice1179
May 17th 2010

is this one an absolute wank fest like the one before it

May 17th 2010

Unfortunately, yes. Even more of a wankfest actually.

Caged
May 17th 2010

I think if you go into this album expecting too much you're definitely going to be let down. I'm still enjoying this, but it's definitely got room for improvement. And I agree this is definitely a bit like PTH and Jamie's Elsewhere, but honestly not nearly as good as either of those bands.

pmmets07
May 22nd 2010

i personally like these guys better than jamie's elsewhere. i think they're more talented. i feel
like a lot of the guitarist's solos are synyster gates-esque. must say, im diggin the album.
especially the unexpected screaming entry in "rock n no soul".

Caged
May 22nd 2010

I know the sreaming is provided by the guy from We Came as Romans on that track and it definitely goes really really good with the song. I do feel like this is one of those bands that could benefit from additional screaming, used tastefully of course.

sexpoi
June 15th 2010

didnt like their last cdc cuz of the vocalist being too high in the mix and annoying but i did like the guitar work so i'll probly check this out. Good review btw

sexpoi
July 21st 2010

I actually really like the guitar work on this album and the vocalist isn't bad on this album. They really showed promise on this release as compared to their first

BringMeTheWaffles.
August 18th 2010

Album was decent.
Worth a listen.

sspedding
August 20th 2010

A bit of a sweepfest, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Music doesn't go with the vocals.

Nifkin
September 12th 2010

Drop the vocalist and I'd give this album a solid 4

choujij
September 17th 2010

At first listen, it gives you the impression of being another generic Joey Sturgis cd. But only once you really give it a chance, it quickly hooks you. I quite like the vocalist's voice, but all the EQ madness on this album detracts from their natural sound.

MacWeener
November 14th 2010

Quite liked this at first listen, not so sure now though - think it's the vocals

November 14th 2010

Yeah, they're a bit on the sugary side

Josh D.