SIG:AR:TYR
Godsaga

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (54 Reviews)
May 14th, 2010 | 83 replies | 11,048 views

Review Summary: Combining the electric power of his sophomore release with the dark cohesiveness of his debut, SIG:AR:TYR has reached new heights in blackened folk metal.

A SIG:AR:TYR full length album is always a pretty grand thing. His debut saw the listener embark on a cold, dark journey alongside an army of northern warriors. In 2008, Beyond The North Winds saw the band experiment with the more important use of distorted guitars and added soundscapes. The end result was another magnificent outing that didn’t have the same feeling of togetherness as the debut but was saved by the sheer quality of each song. Now after having his album to experiment go so well, you’d expect the next album, the one where he puts his experiments to proper use, to be breathtaking? And, you would be correct.

On Godsaga, Daemonskald has taken the best elements of both his full lengths and combined it into one powerload of an album. The album brings back the electric power found on Beyond the North Winds but while giving the feeling of a linear journey the same way the debut did. Everything feels like it was placed where it is for a reason, as a driving force, pushing the album forward with every song. The album goes through moments of triumph (Eternal Return) and moments of darkness (Blood Of The North, Sleep Of The Sword) without ever feeling like anything is out of place but rather like it is demonstrating a new aspect of its main theme (Odin’s sacrifice on the world tree of Yggdrasil).

The album opens up with what too many will probably disregard as a “cheesy viking” opening acoustic piece. Upon a first quick listen, one can easily think this due to the way it is sung almost like a prayer, asking for Odin to hear this song and come. But to me this brought back memories of the song Far Away, from the past album that I had unjustly disregarded as a cheesy ballad but took on a whole new meaning when I read the artist’s commentary on it and saw the thought and effort really put into it. Determined not to let this happen again, I did a bit of non extensive research and was able to spot many references to the album’s themes in this opener (the title itself referring to the nine days Odin spent hanging on the tree). This research also allowed me to spot references like these spread out all around and I am sure there are many more that I have yet to find. But it is through such research that one can see the true importance Daemonskald puts into his writing both lyrically and musically.

This passion can be felt all over the album. Whether it be the way everything feels like it has been systematically placed exactly where it should, the thought out lyrics or the raw emotion that can be felt in his vocals (the chorus of Godsaga is a perfect example of this at its peak), the album takes on a life of its own for its 55 minute play time. It does not give the impression of being another folk metal album but rather a true northern folk story played with modern instruments, a new type of folk music almost. A folk music where deep, distorted guitars are used to create the cold setting of the story, and details are thrown in the form of melodic leads (acoustic and electric). Where moments of hope can be represented with an acoustic guitar and moments of intensity made felt with the pounding of drums. This is the feeling given by Godsaga, a feeling that I, personally, have not seen done to this extent since Ulver’s Bergtatt or Bathory’s Hammerheart. For 55 minutes, the album brings Old Norse traditions to life and takes the listener on a trip like few albums nowadays manage to.

By combining all he has done so far in his career, Daemonskald has crafted a masterpiece of folk metal. An album that feels true to its roots and brings to life the grandeur and the darkness of ancient Norse mythology. This Canadian somehow finds more passion in Northern legends than any modern European band I have had the chance of hearing.

Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
Matta PrototypeDeadmau5 Random Album Title

Ponton
May 14th 2010

I'm glad you weren't let down by this.

good review

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

Essence
May 14th 2010

scream faps to daemonskald once again

May 14th 2010

Essence keeps on living in his blissful ignorance of one of the best bands in the folk metal scene

Zoo
May 14th 2010

i'm assuming this hasn't leaked yet since he probably sent you a promo right?

May 14th 2010

Yeah he did but its actually been released already.

its on sale at http://www.theoldoutpost.com/ for pretty cheap, 12$

May 14th 2010

Listening to Eternal Return, this reminds me of Primordial. I'd like to hear more. Good work.

jingledeath
May 14th 2010

Good work man, will eagerly wait for someone to leak this then listen.

TheSpirit
May 14th 2010

Excellent review. Been folkin it up as of late so
this sounds orgasmic

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

OpenDoorLeia

Sounds. Interesting.

Hawks
May 14th 2010

Good review like always dude. Album sounds awesome.

Crysis
May 14th 2010

I looked around the internet a few days ago and couldn't find anywhere to buy/download this album, but I hope that's changed now. I figured you would review this and I figured you'd love but we'll have to see whether this is a 5 or not. I'll listen to it soon. Great review.

Digging: Katatonia - Kocytean

Wizard
May 14th 2010

I already have my copy of this and I have yet to listen to it. Doubt it's even close to a five (partial bias on reviewers part ; )) but we will have to see. Excellent review dude!

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

AngelofDeath
May 14th 2010

Was wondering when you were gonna review this dude. Nice work again. What I've heard off the album is certainly solid.

Hawks
May 14th 2010

Yeah I don't think it will be a 5 either. Wouldn't be surprised if it's close though because this band does rule. Scream just loves them a whole lot, and with good reason lol.

rasputin

lol

Ire

fap

May 15th 2010

I dun get it

Everyone likes the band but no one else seems to like the band

Essence
May 16th 2010

how'd you get him to send you a promo anyway D:

Crysis
May 16th 2010

He probably contacted the label.

May 16th 2010

Way back when i wrote the review for Sailing i was really proud of that one and figured a small undergroud artist would appreciate the praise and see someone is getting his name out so i sent it to him. He then offered t osend Beyond the north winds promo for me to review but i had already pre-ordered it so it was too late but i sent him that review too since he appreciated the first so much. Then when the time was apporaching for this to be release i got an email from him offering a promo copy of this. Being broke i hadnt had an opportunity to pre-order so i obviously accepted lol