Counterparts
Prophets

by Caged USER (8 Reviews)
May 12th, 2010 | 531 replies | 40,852 views

Review Summary: Counterparts deliver a legendary debut album.

It's hard these days to find any kind of hardcore or metalcore worth listening to. Especially when the scene is overwhelmed with underwhelming bands delivering carbon-copy burnt out records that not only fail to reinvent the wheel - but also fail to even push the existing wheel forward.

Enter Counterparts, a young 5-piece hardcore outfit from Ontario and you'll immediately recognize something special. With the debut album "Prophets" these Canadians make their intentions bold and clear - they're here to be the future, and the future is now. On the opening track "The Reflex Tester" the band wastes no time getting straight to the point, as the track blisters through its short minute and a half length at break-neck speed, and paints a clear picture of what the rest of the album has in store.

All of the ingredients you would expect in a hardcore recipe are here - emotionally charged vocals and powerful lyrics, backed by chugging guitars and fast drumming, and of course enough breakdowns to keep you wanting to punch the closest elderly person in the face. However, the difference is immediately noticeable, the breakdowns are interesting and actually well used and well timed, the vocals seem more prominent and convincing, the cleans are used sparingly and flow seamlessly with the music, and the guitars are absolutely the most interesting facet this band has to offer, bringing a fresh technical-yet-melodic sound rarely heard in hardcore these days.

Throughout the album's 31 minutes you'll find yourself on a rollercoaster of a musical journey, one that is completely unexpected but entirely long overdue. Counterparts won't stop pounding away at your cerebellum and you'll wish it would continue even when it stops. This is a band that should become legendary, and with this album it's clear that will happen much sooner rather than later. The sky's the limit for these 5 guys from the north, and as Brendan says himself "Only Anchors" can keep them from moving forward.

Recommended Tracks:

Sara Bareilles Kaleidoscope HeartRufio Anybody Out There
A Hope For Home RealisBalance And Composure and Tigers Jaw Split CD
Farewell to Freeway Only Time Will TellI Am Abomination To Our Forefathers
Dante Alighieri (3.5)
Give it a listen, you might be surprised....

dansxdead
May 12th 2010

Good review man, this cd is gooooooood.

Caged
May 12th 2010

Been hooked on this for a couple of weeks now, figured a review was deserved and wanted to make sure the 5 I initially though wasn't just a honey-moon feeling, and turns out it definitely wasn't. Even after 50+ spins in that time I haven't even outplayed anything yet, which says alot. Needs a lot more attention, as it is currently and likely will be the best hardcore release of 2010.

dansxdead
May 12th 2010

I hope to see them if they come to the states. They have such a solid sound for such a young band.

cvlts
May 12th 2010

I'll check this out. Probably not a 5.

Digging: As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

cvlts
May 12th 2010

huh. this is actually prty good... solid 3.5 but it might become a 4. sweet shit.

Burn2Burn
May 12th 2010

whoa a 5. album gets pretty meh for me after a while.

May 12th 2010

Good job on the review, but I don't think this is 5 worthy. Still, a very impressive debut.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

shindip

just started listening. pretty good but not a 5

Scoot
May 16th 2010

Liking the fuck out of this so far.

IndieOut
May 17th 2010

i love this. this review is justified. band is 17-18 years old

ffs
May 18th 2010

this is good

Caged
May 18th 2010

Yeah I gave this a 5 after taking into consideration how young the band is, this is their debut album, and with how dull and boring metalcore as a whole has become this album seems destined to be the album we will point to in 10 years and say "That's what saved metalcore"

Winsomniac
June 4th 2010

Dude this CD is BADASS!!!!

kevcommander
June 10th 2010

great record, gave it a 4, to my mind the songwriting is a little bit too "boylike" ... but i love it ! :p

charlie15
June 23rd 2010

What a great cd. Good review too.

shortone323
June 23rd 2010

Good review and album. If anybody is looking to listen to any bands like this you could try Phinehas or Kingdoms. I downloaded all 3 at about the same time and their sounds are somewhat similar to Counterparts.

fromtheinside

getting this.

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

Is good

fromtheinside
June 24th 2010

summary makes me nervous though, legendary?

June 24th 2010

True, I wouldn't call it legendary. In fact, this album really isn't anything out of the ordinary, but because there has been so much shitty metalcore released recently, this is like a breath of fresh air.