Usher
Raymond v. Raymond

good

by Jonathan Kroening USER (29 Reviews)
May 8th, 2010 | 8 replies | 6,795 views

Review Summary: The club’s the thing wherein to catch the conscience of Usher.

R&B star Usher’s sixth album is about divorce, right? Well, not exactly. Sure there are references to Mr. Raymond’s split with his wife, but despite its allusive title, Raymond V Raymond is an album of club bangers, radioplay efforts, and disappointing moments that are relatively uninspired by Usher’s marital conflict.

Here’s the real question: does Usher serve up some summer jams while peppering in a pensive R&B moment or two? Yes, he does. Whether he’s turning up the heat with Ludacris on “She Don’t Know” or getting straight nasty with hot ticket Nicki Minaj on “Lil Freak”, it’s pretty obvious what he’s trying to do here. Besides the title of the album, there’s little pretense that this record is anything more than a vehicle for tracks that will dominate the airwaves.

On a few songs, Usher seems to be trying to be at least a little creative, like on track one, “Monstar”, with its electro-pop feel a la Prince riding a Michael Jackson Unbreakable-era beat. Some of these experimentations fail miserably however. “Mars Vs. Venus”, with its oddly planned title inversion of a Blueprint 3 track, where it feels like the 6/8 time signature needs a DJ to crank back the BPMs so Usher can fit in all the words from his diary. Then there’s “Pro Lover”, which despite being a decent song, feels like it was ripped straight from John Legend’s playbook. Not necessarily a good look for Usher -- and what’s with his biting of the Folgers coffee line “best part of wakin’ up” for track “Okay”? Awkward.

It’s this middle section of Raymond V Raymond that takes a turn for the forgettable. Even buzz single “Papers” loses its shine over time and it’s not until Danja drops the staccato synth on “So Many Girls” that the album regains the favor of the club. One more pop tune joins the party before Raymond fades into the night and that’s the accessible “Guilty” featuring a verse from rapper T.I. on recent release from a halfway house. This track is teed up to make a summer splash with it’s jabbing four on the floor synth part that is like a younger (albeit less likely to be voted homecoming king) sibling of Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling”.

Raymond V Raymond is undoubtedly better than 2008’s Here I Stand -- which, for the record, was painfully overt in its seriousness and fresh out of goodness once “Love In This Club” ran it’s course. Even if Usher might have failed in not attaching an appropriate emotional depth and maturity to its title, Raymond V Raymond is upbeat and fun for at least a handful of tracks. In this regard, all concerned should be thankful that instead of elevating the persona of Mr. Raymond and his familial dissolution, he opted for the one that’s “guilty for wanting to be up in the club”.

3 / 5 stars

-Jonathan Kroening
www.itsjustmusic.net

Fuck Buttons Tarot SportElectrik Red How To Be A Lady: Volume 1
The Flaming Lips EmbryonicSt. Vincent Actor
Wild Beasts Two DancersFlorence and the Machine Lungs
2.4
Tyler Fisher EMERITUS (2.5)
There are three sides to every story. Usher apologizes. Usher gets women. Usher apologizes. Again...

rebel86
July 17th 2010

"Mars vs. Venus" is gorgeous and a pretty decent song, especially coming from an artist like usher, who seems to lack depth and sincerity as an artist. "Okay" is also very addictive.

I think "Okay," "Mars vs. Venus," "Hey Daddy," "Lil Freak," "Pro-Lover," and his best song in years "There Goes My baby" are enough to pull the album up to a 3.5

There are definitely a several misses. But i find that there are more songs on this album that I DO like than I DON'T.

davematee
July 26th 2010

k[pjo

Prince1993
August 30th 2010

Somebody add the delux version of this album.

WeepingBanana
February 21st 2011

so i never liked Usher at all but last night i was baked as FUCKKKKK and More came on the radio and it blew my mind. like really blew my mind.

i listened to it today sober. not as good but still surprisingly decent

Funeralopolis
March 9th 2012

yea this is fairly decent

Digging: Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke

Lucido
June 4th 2012

This is actually pretty good. Too bad he loves that Biebs kid.

Funeralopolis