Cyndi Lauper
True Colors

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All this Gaga hype, Let’s not forget Cyndi now.

It’s easy to explain the history of pop music, it’s all about sex. As the propelling factor of the genre, the music in general really should impress with itself rather than solely the body of the person singing it. But it’s the sad truth, sex sells.

Gwen Stefani used it, Madonna flaunted it, and Katy Perry completely threw her own religion out the window to get rich off promoting loutish bisexualism. But on the hand of honest matter, Cyndi used pop music to create a true following, and as a result left an undescribable mark on the 80’s. From her start appearance on the newly discovered MTV, critic and listener alike found her songs to be the missing piece to pop music. She didn’t use sex to exploit herself into fame, she used true songwriting prowess and used her own sense of fashion without showing too much skin to pervert the flow of music. In result, each of her songs turned out more infectious than the next and her image startled everyone with shock and awe. 80’s teenagers found a role model to be passionate about, and kids and parents were drawn in alike by her music.

Upon release, “Change of Heart” propelled Cyndi Lauper to the top 5 of the billboard once again, and her fans ate up the lead single “True Colors”, a slow ballad that may only appeal to the more true fans of Lauper. It’s undeniable that she had talent where others didn’t. Around the same time, Madonna was struggling for fame and found it easily with the motive of selling promiscuity and sex in her next album “Like a Virgin”. Cyndi Lauper however, stuck to her famous method and let her heart shine in her music, emphasizing morals over looks. The other notable wonder, “Maybe He’ll Know” is a rerecording of one of her early tracks, and featuring none other than THE piano man, Billy Joel on backup vocals, Cyndi hints at reggae alongside the song “Calm inside the storm” and pressurizes thought with musical motivation and captivation.

Emphasizing a deeper side with pop music, she covers Marvin Gayes’ “What’s Going On” with considerable show. The album doesn’t shy away from fun on the polar scale; the track “911” is a bouncy one, sure to become a guilty pleasure upon a few solitary listens. Compared to her previous release it is very noticeable that the songs have given her considerable control with the music. On her debut, the record company had planned to lead her songs with sex, and to be about pleasuring men. “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” was the prime example of this. However Cyndi Lauper pushed to influence the songwriting herself and changed the tone of most of the songs, and her instant fame actually gave her more creative control as she had songwriting status on the debut.

True Colors is a fine listen from front to end, and is worth the pickup when you notice it. The opening track “Change of Heart” is and epic sprawling masterpiece of swirling bass lines and machine pounding drum tracks. Contrasted against the accent of the New Yorker, the song shines as the easy masterpiece on the album. Rock and Hip-hop enthusiasts alike will no doubt find themselves drawn in by a few tracks.

Recommended:

good review man.

I never liked anything by Cyndi other than She's So Unusual

Parallels
May 8th 2010

it seems you and me are the main pop reviewers

dylantheairplane
May 8th 2010

Haha yeah, I'm just a sucker for really good pop music, none of that Kesha shit

RobotFrank
May 8th 2010

The song "True Colors" is such a leap into adult contemporary, which is what kept me from exploring this release (or anything beyond it). "What's Going On" is an okay cover but I never loved the original (despite my Motown fandom). "Maybe He'll Know" is a fantastic song, although I'm familiar with the original Blue Angel version, and not enticed by the prospect of Billy Joel. Nice review, I was happily surprised to see somebody else do a Lauper write-up. I do adore her.

Dryden

yea man

mvdu
May 8th 2010

Nice review; big Cyndi fan here. A true original. I'm one of the few here who likes Ke$ha. She's no Cyndi yet, though.

Jacquelyn
June 20th 2011

You get the gist of Cyndi! Love it!

Peripes
February 21st 2013

She bop, she bop, she bop...