System of a Down
Steal This Album!

by barosjn USER (20 Reviews)
September 21st, 2005 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

This review is a continuation of my review on Toxicity. Why did I do this? Because during the making of Toxicity, they made thirty songs and only fourteen got recorded. All of their fans wanted to hear the sixteen remaining songs that they didn't release on Toxicity, so they put them onto a B-side album called Steal This Album!. You'd probably think Steal This Album! would sound similar to Toxicity, but some of the tracks are Toxicity's opposite. Toxicity was a mostly hard album and Steal This Album! is way softer. Steal This Album! hasn't gone commercial compared to Toxicity either (only had two singles that never made the album chart topping) and contains no lyric booklet and album art whatsoever (you can find the actual lyrics on their official website though). System of a Down have always made amazing studio albums since the beginning and what I'm reviewing now might be a sixteen song B-Side compilitation, but its "unique" sound makes it the best album System of a Down have made so far.

01. Chic 'N' Stu
The album starts with Serj Tankian muttering the words "Walking to the refridgerator, door's closed, lights are out, BUTTER'S GETTING HARD!". You'd think the song is about chicken stew hence the title, but it's actually about pizza pie. The verses state a pizza advertisement, the pre-chorus mentions pizza toppings, and the chorus and the bridge describe how advertising has got us on the run. The guitar, bass, and drums are nothing special though, just the typical sound Toxicity had. A decent way to start the B-Side compilation off.

02. Innervision
The first single and was supposed to be the only single on the album. The guitar starts off almost as heavy as "Chic 'N' Stu", but gets softer and softer throughout the song until it gets hard again near the end. The lyrics also help make the song more beautiful and Daron Malakian sounds amazing singing in the chorus and the bridge. Seek your innervision and let it be the judge of this track.

03. Bubbles
Now we get to a short interlude song. The heaviness continues, but this crazy track on getting lost in a bubble jungle and dealing with the power struggle will get you prepared for the next song. Nothing much else to say here, except that this is the basic System of a Down interlude.

04. Boom!
SOAD made this as a typical anti-war song for Toxicity, but two years after Toxicity and one year after Steal This Album!, the most famous fat college guy Michael Moore created a video for the song as a way to protest against the war on Iraq (a protest that eventually failed). This so called "second single" wasn't meant to stop the war on Iraq and because it didn't make it onto Toxicity, it was written before September the Eleventh. Other than that it's a decent pick for a single, sounding similar to "Bubbles", but SOAD could've done better picking the next single.

05. Nuguns
A song with simple lyrics about a boy getting framed for shooting a girl, but the instrumentation is brilliant. The average sound of System of a Down still goes on, but it gets soft on the verses and before the last chorus lots of Middle Eastern type music comes into play. Shows how this album slowly changes its tone.

06. A.D.D. (American Dream Denial)
The System of a Down anti-American anthem. It explains how the Americans have failed to accomplish the American dream and that now the rest of the world doesn't give a f**k about their world. This track is the opposite of "Innervision", except for the bridge which still remains soft. The best lyrics are "There is no flag that is large enough to hide the shame of a man in cuffs".

07. Mr. Jack
Don't know who Mr. Jack is, but he's an example of the poor homeless guy who lives on the side of the freeway in the car. The song is soft all the way through, except for near the end when the guitar gets pretty heavy. At that part of the song, Mr. Jack gets arrested by a police man, just for being black (at least that's what I think the words are saying anyway).

08. I-E-A-I-A-I-O
This is a really silly song. The bass, drums, and guitar get you headbanging while Serj Tankian says the most twisted tongue twisters in the verses ("Peter's pecker picked another pickle bearing pussy pepper") and joins with Daron Malakian to sing the chorus. The strangest lyrics though are at the bridge, which lists the most nonsensical objects out there (except for maybe plutonium wedding rings, which gets said in a weird way).

09. 36
The only other interlude on Steal This Album! and the shortest song they've ever written. Serj spazzes out on how much of a disgrace television is and the craziest words in the interlude are "Life... so... unnecessary!". Nothing really special about the instrumentation, except that it makes the interlude go right into...

10. Pictures
System of a Down have written some crazy drug songs, but none of them are as crazy as "Pictures". Serj Tankian gets lots of pictures on your mind with lyrical content almost as strange as "I-E-A-I-A-I-O" (for example: "Parachute your chocolate soul"). The drums and guitar are set up so that it sounds like a hard hitting soldier marching tune and after the first time the band goes through the chorus, Serj does this effect that sounds like the cluck of a chicken. The best guitar can be found at the bridge though and this makes the track one of SOAD's best B-Sides. However, this song leads to...

11. Highway Song
This is the reverse of "Pictures" and is the band's most emotional soft song. The music is a nice change to all of the very heavy material SOAD wrote in the past. The guitar is decent and the drums are awesome while Serj compares a bad relationship getting fixed to a highway. Daron Malakian joins in at the chorus and it's a great song to drive to.

12. F**k the System
If you thought "I-E-A-I-A-I-O", "36", and "Pictures" were strange, this track gets stranger. It starts with an incredibly hard and speedy guitar riff and then after the percussion comes in, Serj Tankian says a bunch of gibberish in the verses and shouts in the chorus "War! F**k the System! War! F**k the System! F**k the System! War! F**k the System! War! I need to f**k the sys! I need to f**k the sys! I need to f**k the sys!" The bridge is awesome and this track is one of my favourites. I'm not sure if System of a Down are making fun of themselves or giving a big "f**k you" towards the political system, but it's a big headbanger.

13. Ego Brain
A track sounding similar to "Highway Song", but slower. The message is emotional as well, but this time it's about a woman saving a man from being an egomaniac. Pretty decent track here.

14. Thetawaves
The guitar, bass, and drums go back to a crazy fast pace while the words go on about how the mind of the government thinks. The chorus contains one of the best messages on the album, but by the time the song's about to end, it gets cut off to...

15. Roulette
Now we get to the album's softest song, done only on an acoustic guitar. It's like MTV made a System of a Down unplugged album. This is the third relationship song Steal This Album! has, telling about the gambling problems that the character Serj is pretending to be has. The big highlight of this track is the acoustic guitar solo and every part of "Roulette" is very relaxing.

16. Streamline
What "Roulette" would've sounded like if SOAD went electric and just like "Roulette", it's another relationship song. This time however, the subject of the song is that the girl breaks up with the guy. A sad, but nice way to end the album.

Overall album rating (on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best): 10

Content Rating: Mildly offensive (The only tracks with swearing on them are "Boom!", "A.D.D.", "Mr. Jack", and "F**k the System")

Korn Take a Look in the MirrorWeen Chocolate and Cheese
Queens of the Stone Age Lullabies to ParalyzeKorn See You on the Other Side
System of a Down HypnotizeLimp Bizkit Significant Other

Rudd13

How could you dude.

Not another classic score for this.
Well, it IS a good review at least, so all is not lost. :thumb:

I can barely stand it though...This Message Edited On 09.21.05

Storm In A Teacup
September 21st 2005

For once I agree with him^^^

Killtacular
September 21st 2005

Oh noes, it's a fanboy review!!

Boooo.

Ace_of_Bass2112
September 21st 2005

fanboy or not its still a very well written review

NEDM

Wow, a five!

Gimme a break, Im sure this wasnt a "life changing" album.

EDIT: I hated all of this except for 'Bubbles' and 'Chiken Stew'This Message Edited On 09.21.05

ocelot-05
September 21st 2005

It is a good review, and a good album; it's what got me into SOAD actually, but come on. I own this cd, I like it, but I woudn't say it was a classic. Will it be the foundation for albums to come? Will it inspire people to change their paths in life? I think not.

Xander_Christ
September 21st 2005

Thier worst album. Some songs, namely "Highway Song" and "Streamline" are awesome and redeem the album wnough for me to enjoy it, others such as... well... most of it make it the stain on SOAD's otherwise flawless career.

NEDM

perfect response Xander.

shimmy
September 22nd 2005

it's not their best album at all...it's some good songs like innervision and streamline but it's not so good in general..other soad album including the last one are very better according to me....however it's a good rewiev man!!

barosjn
September 22nd 2005

I gave this a classic rating because if they actually put those songs on Toxicity, Toxicity would've been a more influential album.This Message Edited On 09.22.05

Storm In A Teacup

^ :rolleyes: :eek: ^

Diabulus in musica
February 4th 2006

it may not be a classic album but hey this album is awesome....i think some songs from the last half keep me from givin it a 5 star rating

MediocreAtBest
February 21st 2008

While certainly not a classic or superb album it gets a lil too much crap IMO. Innervision, A.D.D., Mr. Jack, Highway Song and Roulette rule. Highway Song is one of my favorite System songs.
O crap I forgot Ego Brain rules too.This Message Edited On 02.21.08