Albert King
Born Under A Bad Sign

by Maniac USER (21 Reviews)
May 4th, 2010 | 22 replies | 5,867 views

Release Date: 1966 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Buy. This. Now.

There are three recognized “Kings” of blues guitar. Along side B.B. King and Freddie King, Albert King remains one of the most influential blues musicians to ever pick up a 6 string.

Though one of the “3 Kings” as it were, Albert King was arguably the most important of the 3. His album, Live Wire/Blues Power which was released in '68, had a profound effect in influencing big names such as: Clapton, Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. But this is an album before that time. This is his second record, this is where it all started for him. His smooth, instantly recognizable voice, his unorthodox guitar tuning, and his classic lyrics are all here on this often overlooked record.

The original record had the album split in half, which is genius packaging because each side has its own mood and personality. The first 6 songs are pretty up-tempo and short. King wastes no time to getting to the good stuff. He opens up his album with two songs that would become a staple of the blues genre. Born Under a Bad Sign and Crosscut Saw may be short songs, running only about two and a half minutes each, but that takes nothing away from them. Born Under a Bad Sign contains some of the best blues lyrics you could ask for, along with a great backing arrangement. Crosscut Saw has ended up being covered several times by other blues artists years after this recording.

After ending the first side with “The Hunter” (probably the second best song on the album), the second half continues with slower and longer ballad type songs. The second half shows a very sensitive side of King that may not have been picked up before. The songs "As The Years Go Passing By", "The Very Thought Of You", and "Personal Manager" stand out as the best and most soothing of their half of the record.

Though it is known that most of this website hardly touches the blues, it is still sad that this album goes overlooked for so long by so many people who proclaim to be music enthusiasts. I can only hope that this short review of a truly extraordinary record may garner some attention to the genius that was Albert King.

Black Swan Black Swan (In 8 Movements)Rishloo Feathergun
Atrium Carceri PhrenitisUnexpect Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Laura Stevenson Sit ResistJulie Christmas Coextinction Release 5
4.3

Inveigh
May 4th 2010

nice review Maniac, though I don't listen to much music of this ilk.

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

Inveigh
May 4th 2010

no one complains about redskyformiles' or kingsoby1's reviews, and they're generally about this long. in fact, they're probably two of the more well-liked reviewers on the site (hence why they're both staff)

Nagrarok
May 4th 2010

Cream did a great take on Born Under A Bad Sign two years after this was released.

stillexist
May 4th 2010

I love the blues, but I can understand why people on this site aren't that interested since modern rock and metal hits harder. That said "Oh, Pretty Woman" is probably the best song of lustful longing that I have ever heard (tied with Wu-Tang Clan's "Maria") Good review

OhAliceMonster
May 6th 2010

POS'D. will have to check it out

vanderb0b
May 6th 2010

Great review, I need this album.

Maniac!
December 16th 2010

this album never gets old

DarthMann
September 27th 2012

rulwes

October 19th 2012

That's a great blues album. Albert King was a great dude.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

menawati

ye albert was great

Digging: Atomic Ape - Swarm

October 19th 2012

I remember when I saw his Gibson Flying V guitar...It was so strange. Up until then I had seen mostly heavy metal guitar players using it.

Great stuff.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

Maniac!

duh

October 19th 2012

Well yeah it goes without saying, but I said it anyway.

deslad
June 20th 2013

A truly excellent blues album.

Digging: Queen - Live at Wembley 1986

DikkoZinner
November 4th 2013

Indeed it is

Digging: Morpheus Descends - Ritual of Infinity

rockandmetaljunkie
November 23rd 2013

Amazing album.

"As The Years Go Passing By" is the best Blues song ever.

November 23rd 2013

It's up there.

DikkoZinner
December 11th 2013

Could be a 5

December 12th 2013

I really need to listen again to this one. Maybe I'm missing something but this wasn't more than a 4 last time I listened to it.