Various Artists (Punk)

poor

by Misc USER (1 Reviews)
May 2nd, 2010 | 62 replies

Review Summary: Another Miss for the "Punk Goes" Series

Upon hearing the phrase "Punk Goes," I am usually greeted with the sound of moans and the tortured screams of friends begging for mercy. So it is with great pleasure that I should announce that the release of Punk Goes Classic Rock has managed to make it an ongoing trend. Similarities between Punk Goes Classic Rock and Punk Goes Crunk are abundant, in the ability to butcher songs that other artists worked arduously on.

The album begins with Aaron Gillespie’s new main project, The Almost’s rendition of Free Fallin’. By all standards set on Punk Goes Classic Rock, this track deserves a gold medal. It seems like Gillespie and co. are a few of the only artists that received the memo that the songs should be at least semi- listenable. Following Free Fallin’ is Dream On, covered by Phoenix Metalcore artists Blessthefall. This is where the album starts it’s slow and painful landslide. It begins a 10 track slaughtering of what we have been raised to know as “the classics.” The album then draws you back in with A Skylit Drive’s rendition of Separate Ways by Journey. This track is not a total failure due to lead vocalist Michael Jagmin, whose voice is reminiscent of Steve Perry of Journey. Unfortunately the landslide continues with The Summer Set’s cover of Rock’n Roll All Nite by Kiss. What was originally the anthem of an entire generation is virtually kicked, beat down, and spat upon, becoming just another blip in the existence of the “Punk Goes,” world. We end on We The King’s rendition of Caught Up In You, originally recorded by .38 Special. Another one of the few gems on this album, the song itself starts slow but makes up for this with a very catchy and upbeat chorus.

In the long run the entire album is very unlistenable. It’s very unfortunate for the few shining stars on the album, as it seems a few of them did actually put in the effort to do well by the original artists. If Fearless Record’s intent was to take songs that defined entire decades and future generations of music, and mercilessly stab them through the heart, then they have succeeded. In the end, the classics should remain just that.

1.5
very poor
Dan Norris (2)
In Summary, this album has some hits, some misses, but overall I would recommend a download if you l...

May 2nd 2010

First review, try not to maim me too badly haha.

May 2nd 2010

Good first, definitely better than the horrible (and horribly plagriased) other review of this.

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

Curse.

The only good thing on any Punk Goes album is "Got Your Money" by Say Anything

May 2nd 2010

there are some classy tunes scatter throughout the series

Curse.
May 2nd 2010

You gotta look really fucking hard and wade through a lot of shit

AtavanHalen
May 2nd 2010

Punk Goes is fucking disgusting.

May 2nd 2010

Haha I have to agree there are one or two winners scattered throughout the series, but I will also admit that Got Your Money is definitely one of them.

May 2nd 2010

I only listened to the last three, and there was probably five or six songs throughout them that i reallyreallyreally like

May 2nd 2010

Better than my review for sure, but spirit, get off the idea that I plagiarized. They were both posted roughly the same time, and the kid brought horrible points to the table. I used similar metaphors. OOOOH!!!!! Any smart kid can hear the things I talked about and use those similarities in a sentence. STFU and get over it.

theacademy
May 2nd 2010

no respect for plagiarism. when it happens to you on something you've worked hard on, you'll know what i mean...

I am over it, are you.

dolphin

May 2nd 2010

I'm over it, but I'm tired of people saying I did plagerize. I had never even BEEN to that site before. I got home, decided to write a review, next thing I know some kid calls me out, and I got people like theacademy and you throwing shots at it. I understand, the original review was terrible. it was my first and I picked an EXTREMELY bad album to review. Drop it and lets move on past this GOD awful music.

May 2nd 2010

okay. sounds good. check out that BM yet?

agiganticreggin
May 2nd 2010

i know dnor in real life, and he did plagiarize it , I was at his house when he did it

we were listening to nickelback, and bring me the horizon

May 2nd 2010

Yeah, I don't know, that overly-dramatic whisper growl is still getting to me...I still like it better then some of the shit my friends are listening to.

This looks awful

Satellite

20826 Comments

None of these bands are remotely "punk" and I bet this is what AIDS sounds like.

Bitchfork

Punk Goes Away and Never Comes Back

bbdmittenz
May 3rd 2010

Great review, but someone needs to stop NeverShoutNever. Seriously.

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

May 3rd 2010

I appreciate all of the feedback that I've gotten so far.

Also, bbdmittenz I agree wholeheartedly. They torched Bohemian Rhapsody to the ground.