Slash
Slash

by Professor USER (5 Reviews)
May 1st, 2010 | 15 replies | 7,666 views

Review Summary: A Solo Triumph With Impeccable Co-Pilots From The GN'R Legend

It’s all enough to make you wonder how good Axl Rose really was. OK, just kidding, but there’s enough here to suggest that anyone sitting opposite the top-hated riff lord could sound godlike, and – although the thread running through these 13 sterling tracks is Slash’s inimitable relationship with his fretboard – every single one has an identity and so-cool-it-hurts vibrancy, all its own.

Really, could The Cult’s Ian Astbury sound anything less than completely heroic with a thrilling, trimmed-to-the-bone rocker like opening salvo “Ghost”? And could anyone backing Ozzy Osbourne for the understated, melancholic sizzle follow-up “Crucify The Dead” really dare attempt to overpower the Prince Of Darkness?

M Shadows’ jackhammer “Nothing To Say” is a snarling howitzer-paced belter rocketing downstroked riffs and wrathful ire that only bodes brilliantly for his upcoming tribute to The Rev with Avenged Sevenfold.

Lemmy Kilmister’s “Doctor Alibi” is a barn-storming “F*** you” off a ditty with a hilariously autobiographical “Doctor…don’t you know that I feel alright doing what I do/I ain’t gonna tow the line until I’m turning blue” chorus that’s the funny flipside to the forlorn balladry of Myles Kennedy’s Jeff Buckley loving “Starlight”.

It’s a credit to Slash’s musicianship that his playing never overshadows whoever is behind the mic; rather he makes them sound good, as if he’s amplified their abilities, a point hammered home by the swaggering, strip-club destined infectiousness of “Beautiful Dangerous” with Fergie. It’s one part The Who’s “Who Are You” two parts Kid Rock’s “Cowboy” and completely badass. Sure, she sings for Black Eyed Peas, but it’s really through the lens of Slash’s playing that her credentials shine through, as they do for a tag-team with Cypress Hill for an explosive reinterpretation of “Paradise City” (only available on the standalone Fan Pack edition). It’s gloriously slick and testament to both Slash’s magnetism and incredibly diverse abilities as a player.

The star-studded proceedings, take a candlelit moment with Chris Cornell’s “Promise” which, evidently, is merely sonic tenderizer before the colossal weight of “By The Sword” with Wolfmother’s Andrew Stockdale. With an acoustic intro and a slow building chorus big enough to register an 11 on the Zeppelin scale, it’s here that his collaborative curiosity cabinet morphs into something landmark and anthemic.

The process of ceremonies would not be complete without Slash taking centre stage though which he does for the instrumental “Watch This” alongside none other than four-stringing comrade Duff McKagan and Dave Grohl behind the drum kit. A storming jam-sesh packed with “Use Your Illusion riffage”. Its sheer rocking joy caught on disc until a solo wailing and stately enough to make David Gilmour blush kicks in.
This album isn’t just about flying the flag but taking the battle to charts that are overrun by banality, soullessness and criminally misrepresentative of just how huge this rock and metal thing really is.

It’s a release the world needs to hear; a one-off intersection of unsurpassed talents and a snapshot of the state of rock’ n ‘ roll in 2010. By the sound of this gem, it’s in very good hands indeed.

• mark sammut (3)
    Friends & Slash present......

AleksiS (4)
    After various projects, ex-Gunsman release's his first true solo album, and it was definet...

archerparadise (3)
    Slash makes extensive and exclusive use of les paul guitars and it shows in the slow tra...

ShowStopper0328 (4)
    Ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash releases his solo debut effort and regardless of your sta...

• Ali CONTRIBUTOR (3)
    Slash hides behind his friends when he should be taking the front seat....

Piglet
May 1st 2010

Been reviewing like a hamster on coffee.

porch
May 1st 2010

He's obviously had these reviews for a while on other sites and is just submitting them one by one here

wakeupdead
May 1st 2010

"although the thread running through these 13 sterling tracks is Slash’s inimitable relationship with his fretboard"
14 tracks
"Top-hated"
Top-hatted, not hated lol

Professor
May 1st 2010

It's 13 tracks with him accompanying another musician on the frontline of the vocal section - the 14th track is instrumental with him at the forefront of the song. The emphasis of my intro is that this album is about these 13 tracks where several musicians lead the song with him accompanying it. I wasn't counting tracks.

Emim
May 1st 2010

Hans Gruber... We should start a league of supervillians.

JWT155
May 1st 2010

I need to listen to this again soon, really enjoyed it on my first listen. Probably gonna bump to at
least a 3.5.

AnotherBrick
May 1st 2010

surprised it actually has a 3.6. figured most sputnikers would 1 it just because its slash and he's "sold out"

Parallels
May 1st 2010

i saw this in my local record store. wasnt interested.

porch
May 1st 2010

Oh? I bought twelve copies of it

tiesthatbind
May 1st 2010

I've only heard a few tracks, mainly the Myles Kennedy ones, but the album sounds like a 3-3.5 for me, I really should listen to the rest of this soon.

WhiteNoise
May 1st 2010

It's a basic album, but it's a bloody fun basic one. Lovin' this album.

Digging: Eagulls - Eagulls

Asiatic667
May 1st 2010

So this looks and sounds terrible

Bitchfork

so does kick-ass

ExcavatedSkull00

Slash my wrists

danielcardoso
July 22nd 2013

There are some awesome songs in this album.
It really surprised me.