Continuance
Carry Ourselves

by wewillbelegends USER (4 Reviews)
April 28th, 2010 | 28 replies | 10,473 views

Review Summary: Continuance pulled influences from all over this time and managed to write one of the best hardcore albums released in a long time.

Continuance has some big expectations to meet. A band that is comprised of members from both Saints Never Surrender and Means looks great on paper, so naturally fans everywhere were stoked to hear of the new band forming in the wake of the former two breaking up. Their demo set the standards high for the upcoming full length and put Continuance on many new fan’s radars. So does “Carry Ourselves” meet the high expectations put on them from the beginning? Yes, in so many more ways than fans had hoped for.

“Carry Ourselves” starts with a short, atmospheric intro that leads directly into “Distaste for Truth”. The first song starts with heavy hitting guitars and drums, showing Continuance at full force. Before long it goes into an ambient lead that plays out for a short time, only to break off into a verse that acts as a punch in the face, with Dylan and Tyler screaming at full force. Instantly it sounds like a band that has definitely matured past their roots. Max and Stephan are constantly playing very technical leads, while John is never missing a beat in his inventive drumming. As “Distaste for Truth” comes to its end, the energy is picked up again in the next song and continues throughout the album. “As You Break” makes fantastic use of alternating screaming with a guest appearance by Joel Otte from Brothers, while “The Greatest Need” sounds better than ever with some improvement from the original demo.

“No Compass” is undoubtedly one of the tracks that will be talked about. It’s the first Continuance song to feature singing and what a difference it makes. The guitars drive the song, while the drum fills and back up screaming bring more energy as the song progresses. Lyrically, Dylan brought his A game. The lyrics are filled with passion and hope as heard especially toward the end of the song. “This violent sea is not the home we know, it falls to us. Who’s steady hand will guide us on” gets me every time, with Todd Mackery’s (With Honor) fantastic singing finishing the song. Continuance has never sounded so strong and confident in their music.

As “Carry Ourselves” progresses, we see more experimentation. The most obvious example is “Once We’ve Seen”. The light, airy guitar that opens the song gives listeners the notion it will just be an interlude, but it quickly picks up with driving bass and drumming. At the climax of the song, everything comes in at full force with an incredible lead line soaring over the music as it intensifies. Finally, Dylan’s vocals take control of everything and demand your attention as he screams “Stories left untold by young lives taken before their time...” This short song (1:35) has more intensity than many entire albums have. After this the music almost completely drops out to light distortion over muffled drumming. This then cuts out and leads into “Beneath the Concrete”. At this point the album is reaching the end, so Continuance pulls out all they’ve got with these two last songs.

“The Dream Within” encompasses all of the experimentation and diversity Continuance has slowly slid in throughout the album. While it starts off as you’d expect, you’d be wrong to judge it off the intro. This song is loaded with energy. Between the intense and driving guitar, heavy hitting drums, and passionate screams this energy is displayed throughout the duration of the song. All of the fans will love this song live for the major throw down part beginning at 1:15. The guitar rides out, as another lead carries it in and demands movement while John hits the drums harder than ever and Dylan screams raise the intensity. As if this wasn’t enough to make the song superb, it builds up from the remains of the breakdown into another verse that leads into a fully sung ending. I get chills the minute the clean vocals come in, as they soar over Dylan’s screams. Once they take over fully, the song hits its peak and reaches a level Continuance has never reached before. This leads into the last song “We Arm Ourselves”. While is has no clean singing, it certainly isn’t a weak way to end the album at all. It uses more experimentation in its ambient parts and breaks from the action. As the album draws to a close, Continuance gives it all they’ve got with a strong lead and duel screaming carrying the album out.

Continuance has managed to write an album that’s not only better than everything else released so far this year, but is one of best albums I’ve heard in a while. Everything is incredibly tight and well written. Vocally, Dylan captures your attention from the first screams of “Distaste for Truth” to the very end of “We Arm Ourselves”. I can only expect incredible things from this band to come. Considering this is only their debut and they’ve already reached a quality level many bands never do, everyone should give this album a chance.

April 28th 2010

I'm sure most people will disagree, haha. It's my first review in a while, so I hope it's not too long or anything stupid.

Parallels
April 28th 2010

ooo this looks good. i should check this out

IAmInsect
April 29th 2010

ok. you've got me curious matthew.

Captain North
April 29th 2010

Vocals are so fucking bad.

April 29th 2010

they're not for everyone, I guess. The only real complaint is I wish the vocals were louder, but that was out of the band's hands, unfortunantly. thanks to whoever gave me a positive rating for this.

IAmInsect
April 29th 2010

yeah i can't stand the vocals. the instrumentation is pretty good though. the vocals ruin it for me :/

avenge the dead
April 30th 2010

I actually dig the vocals. They don't sound like anyone else. And there is a ton of emotion in them. But I like higher vocals anyways.

thesoulman
April 30th 2010

Yeah the deciding factor for many seems to be the vocals. personally, i really like them. I did not expect this album to be this great. I liked their demo quite a bit but this blew me away.

April 30th 2010

For sure, dude. This album is so rad from start to finish. I wish more people knew about these dudes.

TheDeadWalk
May 9th 2010

The sound in his voice reminds me of a struggle for more and for the greater good, you can really hear the passion behind his voice, I saw them play at a local venue a couple months ago with their tour with Ambush and Take it back! it was such a good show and really had great stage pressence. The band its self is very talented for only having four members. i agree with OP this cd is one of the best i herd so far in 2010

kevcommander
August 21st 2010

one of the best 2010 ... such a great gecording

November 25th 2010

it grew off me a little, but still love the album.

rip continuance

would've been really stoked to hear where they went from here.

Ray91
December 23rd 2010

instrumentally this band is really sick, but the vocals aren´t doing it for me...
and normally u stop screaming when your chords popped,it wasn´t a good idea to go on after that. ^^

xtiarrax
January 3rd 2011

You guys are stupid.
These lyrics are beautiful.
There are only a few people can scream like that well, and Dylan does a wonderful job at it.
So you guys need to get some ears,
and listen.

Curse.
January 3rd 2011

no, the vox suck shit buddy

January 6th 2011

This is actually much better now that I listen again.

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

January 22nd 2011

Vocals sound like Converge lol.

January 26th 2011

So you guys need to get some ears,
and listen.

If you mean scream wrong for so many years that all you can muster out is a shitty scream like this then yes.

Curse.
March 29th 2011

I like the vox a lot more after listening to it a lot more

Kris.
May 5th 2011

goddammit these vocals are so gay