Cocteau Twins
Head Over Heels

by Steve Firth USER (4 Reviews)
April 25th, 2010 | 9 replies | 8,134 views

Release Date: 1983 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A monument to dreams

This album to me is quite simply the glorification of dreams, an audible, tangible reminder that there is a wonderful world without limitation just forty winks away that can defy description but for the lasting remnants of awe as you wake. 'When Mama Was Moth' is the perfect opener, snares crash like seething waves against the rocks where the siren lies, her hauntingly majestic song rising above the whirling froth and lulling you placidly into a sea shimmering with guitar lines. 'Sugar Hiccup' then joyously bobs you up and down in the water as if a baby in the arms of an elated mother, drenched in wistful nostalgia until the thunderous drums stir up a storm in 'Musette and Drums', the heartrending wail of 'Tragedienne' echoing as you drown in an ocean of distortion. You can hardly complain about intelligible lyrics either when the sheer delivery of them makes the bassy slither of 'Multifoiled' all the more sensual and the gleaming guitar chase of 'In the Gold Dust Rush' all the more exalting. A monument to dreams that is lasting the test of time.

dragonaut
April 25th 2010

Would have given this a 4.5 or even a 5.0 if it weren't for the fact I feel you have to be in the right mood to truly appreciate the music. Fantastic album at high volume though.

Deviant.
April 26th 2010

Its a bit small, but ace summary

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

dragonaut
April 26th 2010

Cheers, but I always figured why say what I can in a thousand words when I can use a hundred and have it just as (arguably) good. Think I should make them longer and even more detailed?

Deviant.
April 26th 2010

Well its up to you, but there's definitely room to go more in depth

January 6th 2012

August 10th 2012

best cocteau twins era

Funeralopolis
October 31st 2012

so apparently this is called ethereal wave

Digging: Deftones - White Pony

Gard3n
February 15th 2014

I loved this since the first spin. Don't know why nobody seems to know it.