Blink-182
Flyswatter

by brycey USER (19 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 38 replies | 15,422 views

[url]www.blink182.com[/url]

Mark Hoppus - Bass, Vocals
Tom DeLonge - Guitar, Vocals
Scott Raynor - Drums

Now before I continue, I am reviewing the Flyswatter DEMO TAPE. I wasn't sure whether to put "Blink" or "Blink-182" as the thread title, as they were known as "Blink" back then, but no longer.

Mark. Tom. Scott. Long before the days of Blink-182, this is Blink. As soon as you put this on, it is clear that they did record this in the original Blink drummer's bedroom. The pruduction isn't to an high quality, and neither is the singing, but it sure is a catchy album. If you listen to this album, you think twice before you doubt Mark's bass playing. "Marlboro Man" for example has a bass riff that catches your attention and brings you closer to the music. It reminds me of a "jazz-type" song at the beginning because of the drums. "Time" starts out as a sort of ska song, and has ska parts throughout. Something I like. Ska.

The album has many solos, not MASSIVE solos, but small and effective solos. The lyrics are not the best written, but are still a pleasure to listen to. The guitar could have been better in places, but is still "trademark Blink-style".

Recommended Songs:
Marlboro Man
Red Skies
Point Of View

This album, is not the greatest Blink album, but after all it is their demo tape. Just sitting here listening to this reminds me of my band and our practice sessions, as it will for anyone else.

I give this 3.5/5. A cool album, but could've been a little bit better.

Avril Lavigne Under My SkinThe Cure Greatest Hits
The Vandals Look What I Almost Stepped InThe Vandals Hitler Bad, Vandals Good
Less Than Jake B Is For B-sidesRancid Life Won't Wait
3.2
good
Chris Maziejka (4)

RollerQueen
February 22nd 2004

How did you get ahold of this? Is it a copy of the actual demo tape or did someone dub it from one onto a blank casette?

sweboy
February 22nd 2004

It's good. But, i mean, it's really bad quailty, and they were really young and all... But it's good. The song 'Alone' is awesome.

There are two covers of this demo, NOFX's The Longest Line and Dinosaur Jr's Freak Scene.

punkrockd00d
February 22nd 2004

I got mine for a wad of $$$ on eBay :naughty:

hybridofsound
February 22nd 2004

The quality of the tape pretty much ruins the tape for me. I've listened to all the songs put onto MP3. Also Tom and Mark both had really weak voices in those days. There are a few good songs though.

2/5

pixiesfanyo
February 23rd 2004

I love the song Alone..it's almost as Blink's insturmental ability has gone down since they have started

sting-ray
February 23rd 2004

the longest line is a good song.

guitarded_chuck

Eleven years old. Whoa.

4/5

ntnguitarist
February 25th 2004

I have a copy of it..got it on ebay..its good..3/5

BadKarma
February 26th 2004

I got the cd. i downloaded it from mIRC. i havent really listened to it. maybe when i get out of school i'll try it out again.

brycey
February 26th 2004

I have the original cover, but without all that "blink-182.org" crap.

PunkinDonuts
February 26th 2004

Hey Im a pretty good bassist. Im no Matt Freeman, or Fat Mike, but hey Im pretty good. I can come up with rad basslines, but let me tell you, Blink-182 with "rad" basslines toattly screw it up. It just doesn't sound like blink anymore. Im sure Matt Freeman could probably pull it off, but like I stated eariler, Im no Matt Freeman.

-El Hefe-
February 27th 2004

It's okay. I think it'd be pretty good if you could hear some of the lyrics and if it was just produced better. 2/5

pixiesfanyo
March 14th 2004

-to punkindonuts-

Why would you say your no Matt Freeman?

His basslines aren't that hard..he just plays them extremely fast

Why not say your no Stanley Clarke are some other Bass Innovator

Also Blink isn't about the insturments it's about making great pop songs..and they do that

Pechorin
March 14th 2004

[QUOTE=Ganondorf]They were eleven when they recorded this?[/QUOTE]

I think he means that the CD is eleven years old...

rdavidson510
April 1st 2004

[QUOTE=Paul150]I think he means that the CD is eleven years old...[/QUOTE]

Actually he might be refering to scott. He was Rather young when they got their first deal, I think 14 years old....

sr800bkAGAIN!
April 2nd 2004

sweet, they covered "Freak Scene"?

brycey
April 2nd 2004

Yeah, by Dinosaur Jr if I'm not mistaken.

sr800bkAGAIN!

[QUOTE=brycey]Yeah, by Dinosaur Jr if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]
yup, great great song, not dino's best, but great song.

sd_whiteboy619
September 28th 2004

[QUOTE=Kif]
It features early versions of Cheshire Cat songs which I really like, and the covers are great too.

:D:D:D:upset::upset:[/QUOTE]

well if u wanna get technical about it:naughty:, it has early versions of Buddah songs which later became majorly released on cheshire cat

ClayTheJ
November 13th 2004

The best lyrics on Flyswatter are on Point Of View, and you can get these songs from download at www.blink.ru