T-Pain
Freaknik: The Musical

good

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
April 21st, 2010 | 21 replies

Review Summary: Great concept...peculiar execution.

While the one hour show that Freaknik: The Musical Soundtrack pulls from was largely a comedy based on a small-town hip-hop group’s wild quest to achieve fame through a made rapper’s up-and-coming contest; the EP is largely a parody on mainstream hip-hop culture. Although witty, widely accurate, and enjoyable, the performers of the concept can come off as a bit of a pet from tail to head. That is, the people who appear on the soundtrack and are mocking hip-hop culture are the very figures who establish and enforce the targeted customs.

Perhaps the greatest representation of the mentality Freaknik… portrays is the pseudo-metaphor found on “We The Mob.” The instrumental samples gunshots, and lyrically transitions from recanting of hardships to outrageous braggadocio,

See me dog/I’m tryna be on MTV dog/But I ain't paid rent and haven't ate in weeks dog/Sweet Tea Mob, we the hardest y'all soft/But it's hard to write songs when a nigga's lights off/I'm Big Virgil, that's Light Skin, that's Big Uzi/We become rap stars we starrin' in all the movies/I’ll have a mansion in the Hamptons by P. Diddy/Five hundred million copies, laughin’ at that nigga Fiddy/I’ll be so big all my cars will be new ones/If I feel like it I might buy a couple humans.

Although this is possibly an allegory that alludes to rappers abandoning their roots in the midst of fame and wealth while retaining the thug posturing, this isn’t the only issue T-Pain & Co. takes aim at. Amongst other things, the stereotype of effeminate drink preference is assailed (Freaknik’s favorite liquor is blueberry vodka) and the attitude towards women is addressed (Freaknik talks about saving strippers from their terrible lives, then returns to the “b*tch*s is hoes” attitude.)

But not only are lyrics parodied, the instrumentals are too. How could this album ever be complete without the unnecessarily overbearing bass and generically erratic horn loops of “Freaknik Is Back”? How about the hailing horns and sharp snares of the faux-epic “Ghetto Commandments”? Or the bland, typical R&B/Pop club fusion of “Save You”?

On the other hand, there’s something that swilled around in the back of my mind while I listened to Freaknik… Through the duration of my listens, I mulled over the fact that the performing artists were T-Pain, Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg, Mack Maine, and Young Cash. Admittedly, T-Pain largely keeps the autotune levels to a minimum, and the other artists do serviceable jobs. But for a parody of mainstream hip-hop, BY mainstream hip-hop artists is just confusing. It either, A) enforces everything they’ve said in a rather genius manner, or B) makes them idiots and the album less enjoyable. Whether that fact results in conclusion A or B is rather irrelevant. Regardless, it’s something that shouldn’t have to be thought about, and only creates unnecessary confusion.

Supported by moderate wittiness, detailed accurateness, and infectious pop-iness, Freaknik… is a good listen if not for the Dadaist value and humorous experienced. Sadly, it’s heavily beleaguered by a peculiar performers lineup, and it sure as HELL isn’t as good as the show it pulls from. Check out the soundtrack and the show, but more importantly, the show.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang

digging this.

Album is 3/5

show is 5/5

discuss.

EDIT: Urgh, track list/album name/album artwork is inaccurate

April 21st 2010

is there nobody existent in the hip hop section right now?

Nikkolae
April 21st 2010

i dont think there ever has lol, jk

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

April 21st 2010

not too far from the truth, sadly enough.

Hip-hop peaked in activity a couple weeks ago, but it died back down.

:sadbulldog:

Niceinvader
April 21st 2010

it's called speedstick its not 'spensive

AtavanHalen

shawtay

Urinetrouble
April 21st 2010

welli have a review comin for the next twin perils album on april 27th and i will be reviewing recovery when it comes out. album/show rules

April 21st 2010

spreeeadin da luh like i alway do.

Urinetrouble
April 21st 2010

rollin like an og nigga with my finga on da trigga sizin up ma money in figures

April 21st 2010

i love how the DJ shoots a gun and everything

Slum
April 21st 2010

what's with all the negs on this? not a bad review

April 21st 2010

thanks man. congrats on your feature, btw.

Slum
April 21st 2010

thanks. was pretty excited about it, despite the review being a little meh haha. How's your 30 review/30 days thing coming along?

April 21st 2010

im way behind, i believe.

ThePalestMexican
April 21st 2010

Young Money is the only problem with this entire thing, good review

April 21st 2010

alot of people in my class say they havent seen it.

April 21st 2010

alot of people in my class say they havent seen it.

ElutheriusAveilien
April 23rd 2010

I'll admit, the show perked my interest, but I didn't give it a chance like I suppose i should have.

DaveyBoy
January 14th 2013

20857 Comments

Acting as a soundtrack to the Cartoon Network's television special of the same name, 'Freaknik: The Musical' is an interesting 5 track EP from T-Pain - who also produced the special. While he has never taken himself too seriously, this recording not only parodies himself a little, but hip-hop culture as well. The format allows the singer, rapper & producer to showcase his diversity over 18 minutes, while 'Ghetto Commandments' is right up there with the best of his tunes. Yet, it all still feels like a missed opportunity, with the guest vocals for the final 2 tracks definitely doing the EP no favors. Recommended Tracks: Ghetto Commandments & Save You.

oltnabrick