Flaw
Endangered Species

by Maniac USER (21 Reviews)
April 20th, 2010 | 21 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Nu Metal is one of those genres that Sputnik loves to hate. Some see it as poser metal; others see it as nothing more than music pandering to teenagers with anger issues. With that being said there seems to be a few diamonds in the rough, one of those being Flaw’s Endangered Species.

Though Flaw is often compared to Mudvayne, on this album the similarities seem to be few. The main differences being that they drop all hip-hop influences and incorporate heavy doses of melodies compared to previous releases. This seems to be a hit and miss with most fans, with some thinking that it was a sellout release. Personally, I believe the melodies make the album stand out more than some of its contemporaries. With songs like “Medicate”, “Final Cry”, and “You’ve Changed” Flaw show some aggression, but the rest of the album is full of nicely polished melodies.

Instrumentally, there is not much I can say, seeing as there seems to be a lack of anything special. The riffs are solid but nothing spectacular, the drums are a nice backbone to the guitars but don’t do much else, and although it’s a matter of production, the bass is pretty much inaudible through the whole album.

So if it hasn’t been made clear already, the album relies on the vocals to do anything interesting. Though that sounds like a daunting task for the vocalist, Volz seems to pull it off nicely. Not only does his voice show up many other artists within the genre, but his lyrics are a bit more mature and thought out than his contemporaries. The lyrics have less to do with violence, anger, and destruction, and more to do with warning about the future, optimism, and hope.

So this may be nothing groundbreaking, or extremely original, but Flaw have been able to put their own spin on a genre that has been beaten to death by kids with baseball bats, baggy pants, and unfocused rage. And that alone makes this album worth owning if you’re a fan of decent Nu Metal.

Black Swan Black Swan (In 8 Movements)Rishloo Feathergun
Atrium Carceri PhrenitisUnexpect Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Laura Stevenson Sit ResistJulie Christmas Coextinction Release 5
Acey (4.5)

TheSpirit
April 20th 2010

incorporate huge uses of melodies compared to previous releases.

That reads a little awkwardly. Perhaps "incorporate large doses of melody compared to previous releases"?

Otherwise good review.

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

April 20th 2010

You get brownie points for reviewing one of the few good nu-metal bands.

April 20th 2010

"Through The Eyes" is a surprisingly good album, but I have yet to hear this one.

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

April 20th 2010

I'm in a good mood so pos all around...except for Crysis, he gets neg's

April 20th 2010

except for Crysis, he gets neg's

negnegnegneg

April 20th 2010

I guess people didn't like my latest one, oh well, it happens.

April 20th 2010

No I like your BFMV review. And while I disagree with your Demon Hunter one, it's still a good freakin review. I just like to break balls.

April 20th 2010

Breaking balls is the name of the fucking game here at Sputnik. It's everyone's favorite past time.

April 20th 2010

I know, I tell ya what, I'll love you forever if you rate Periphery a 5 ;)

April 20th 2010

Your offer is tempting....

I'm going to review 'Through the Eyes' next... it needs a review that isnt a TBT

Go for it, you're right it does need a decent review.

April 20th 2010

I'm diggin the other review for this album, no offence Maniac, but that guy has got a way with words.

Inveigh
April 20th 2010

wow, that's weird, even when I click on this from your profile page it takes me to the spam review. take a pos man, I'm not a fan of these guys (never was) but your review's good.

PayneTiger777
April 20th 2010

I loved these guys back in the day. Decide and Worlds Divide are some of their best songs.

Deviant.
April 20th 2010

Album is terrible, review isn't though
Pos'd

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

JulesWin
April 21st 2010

"Nu Metal is one of those genres that Sputnik loves to hate"

sputnik and everyone else!
good job, pos

Metalstyles
April 22nd 2010

nice review (sorry for the late response)

Flaw are one of those nu metal bands I never checked out, but when I find the time, I'll give this a go as it sounds like it could be pretty good.

Willie
April 22nd 2010

Album is terrible
Say it isn't so! It's not as good as the one before it, but it's still good.

Digging: Necropoli - I

Sciroccu
December 25th 2010

Not bad even if i prefer Through the eyes to this. it's catchier.

Shuyin
February 27th 2012

good but through the eyes rules harder

Digging: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain

MudIdol
May 20th 2012

This album is awesome. The lyrics make me feel really inspired and optimistic.