Rollins Band
Weight

by februarystars57 USER (5 Reviews)
April 19th, 2010 | 15 replies | 8,717 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Intense, yet polished album from the artist currently known as Rollins :)

Henry Rollins is a diverse man. To be perfectly honest, the spoken word material he has released' for which he is very famous and acclaimed for, is not really my bag and doesn't interest me to much. It doesn't stop me appreciating he as a great narrator, and even though he has been part of various bands, I feel Rollins band were arguably his most focused and intense work, with the album Weight being a commercial and artistic high point.

Henry Rollins seems to be obsessed with self analysis, and self loathing, and he portrays this incredibly well through his visceral and intense narratives over power of Rollins Band. There aren't any obvious singles on this album, but Liar managed to become a relatively big hit on MTV, (accompanied by a video where Henry was kitted out in red paint from head to toe!) and through the notoriety of their live shows, where they had previously impressed at the Lollapalooza festival, the album managed to gain reasonable success and were an extremely hot live ticket.

Musically, the band certainly pushed the boat out, and became more experimental from their previous album, but also had a much sharper and polished sound. This doesn't, however, take away from the intensity of the music or vocal delivery, which again has increased ten fold from the last album, Rollins screaming the chorus for Liar, being a prime example of this. The tight ensemble playing really doesn't get the attention it deserves because of Rollins charisma, but the guitarist, drummer and bassist all shine on this album, fusing together elements of hard rock, prog, funk, and sometimes even toying with the idea of jazz (!), all the time staying true to Rollins vision of what the band should be. The hard sabbath like riffs are a plenty on here, yet still managing to sound fresh.

End Of Silence was a good album, but Weight has certainly aged much better, and will surely stand the test of time for years to come, Henry Rollins makes sure of that on this record.

April 19th 2010

Great review, havent heard this yet but plan on it.

Brylawski
April 19th 2010

Good review but i disagree strongly. End of Silence is far superior. This has too many weak funk rock style songs and marks the beginning of the end for the Rollins Band, IMO

April 20th 2010

Thats the great thing about music, there is no right and wrong, and as artists and listeners we have the freedom to disagree. Thanks for the positive response people.

Personally I think Rollins grew on their excellent End of Silence album into this, and I think the musical and artist growth on Come in and Burn is even more impressive, but isnt quite as easy to listen to as this one, as they delve more into jazz and contemporary. I may review it after a few more listens.

Again thanks for the nice comments, and constructive criticism is always welcome, as I really want to go places with music journalism.

porch
April 20th 2010

come in and burn is pretty bad. the earlier rollins albums are best, when he had the original band and not those dull
classic rock guys (Mother Superior)

April 20th 2010

Mother Superior joined after Come In And Burn didnt they? I thought he used them for the Nice album

porch
April 20th 2010

cant remember, i'll take your word for it. anyway nice sucked balls and lyrically he started getting really redundant on those albums too

April 20th 2010

The beggining of Come in and Burn starts off with real power, and I remember seeing them on Jules Holland in 1997, performing ''on my way to the cage'' it had real power. and rollins owned the stage. as usual. Shame and starve are outstanding tracks, and the musicianship on Come in and burn is as good as it gets for Rollins, but again not the consistent highs of the previous 2 albums.

May 5th 2010

Just bought this for $5.

omnipanzer
March 31st 2011

Love this album, its a blast from the past. Needs a bump, see if I can get Hans in here.

MANLY BUMP!

Digging: The Ettes - Shake the Dust

August 22nd 2011

This album is intense.

August 24th 2011

Henry Rollins is a beast in Def Jam Fight For NY.

May 19th 2012

I really like this.

Titan
October 12th 2012

A thousand miles an hour goin nowhere fast

SanguineCream
July 1st 2013

Riffy Goodness

sinsexsodomy
July 13th 2013

Yeah as said b4, his early solo stuff is the best, my personal fav is Hard Volume but this is probly his best work