Ugly Casanova
Sharpen Your Teeth

by Bill Thomas USER (15 Reviews)
April 15th, 2010 | 11 replies | 1,713 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

So, I was late to the party on this one, so I didn't get any of the benefits. The cleverly disguised 20 year old 16 year old girls, the ***ty beer in cups where snotty teens try to score, by making ping pong balls into the cup. But what I do get is a Modest Mouse record, formed to my liking. All of my favorite things about Modest Mouse are here, the clever lyrics, the odd country-tinged rock melodies. Only these songs are almost all country, which, some may assume might turn your neck red upon listening, but nothing is more misRED, hahaha, oh I just went there, that just happened.

So I was out on the town the other day, and some Barnacles came out of the ocean with red capes and hand grenades trying to recruit me into their new army. I said no, I will not join your Dick Armey, because that name is too fun-----.

This album, much like a snobby rich person has 12 pairs of shoes, and they are all glamorous, and special in their own ways. Down to the heels even. This is what alt-country should sound like. I mean, sure Wilco is pretty, and Neko Case is hot, but Isaac Brock is insane, and I think that is all that matters. "Parasites" has a really nice catchy vocal melody that might cause certain people to eat their own feces, and then throw microphones into the audience to prevent the spreading of aids.

I found out earlier today that I am schizophrenic.

The single on this album is fantastic, and I am surprised that I didn't hear it on the radio, because I don't listen to the radio. He talks about cum on pianos. I don't know how the cum came to be there, but it's there god dammit, probably because he saw alligators, got aroused, and just started FURIOUSLY MASTURBATING while writing the song. Which means that the song references itself inside itself, so it's a relation....relating itself to itself in the relation. Kierkegaard would be proud.

What this collection of words is trying to say is that this album is quite frankly the best work that Isaac Brock has done, and as an avid Modest Mouse fan, that's hard for me to say, but god dammit it's the truth.

The truth is out there.

so are fat people

and prostitutes

fat prostitute philosophers who will die in their search for truth (or they'll get herpes).

Evanescence EvanescenceThey Might Be Giants Join Us
Ween 12 Golden Country GreatsDIR EN GREY MACABRE
Ween The PodWeen Chocolate and Cheese
Tyler (4)
Modest Mouse frontman Isaac Brock creates some brilliant tracks with this experimental side project,...

tom79 (3.5)
Modest Mouse mastermind Isaac Brock creates an introspective acoustic record with a handul of gems...

April 15th 2010

Recently people have been putting a lot of these kind of reviews up and it really needs to stop

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

druglesshippie
April 16th 2010

Well, tell me why it should stop. Cause I'm not doing this for humor purposes, this is honestly what goes through my mind when I'm listening to music.

April 16th 2010

That's cool, but because of this nonsense, i have no idea what the music sounds like.

SeaAnemone
April 16th 2010

god this is bad... personal reviews CAN be good, but they take a little finesse... not just rambling. read qwe's film school review for a good one.

April 16th 2010

Agreed. If your going to do something like this, at least make it somewhat professional and not a jumbled mess.

SeaAnemone
April 16th 2010

it should come off like you put MORE thought and time into it, because they're generally harder to pull off, not less. I only tried it once out of 87 times.

focksy
April 16th 2010

this is my least favorite brock cd

kitsch
April 16th 2010

are you sure you dont have any drugs

mmfarva
April 16th 2010

Love the album, but damn this is a mess.

Slum
April 16th 2010

lol what is this I don't even

WatchItExplode
April 16th 2010

I feel this review is very representive of the music on the album...drugless hippie reviews are an acquired taste