Coheed and Cambria
Year of the Black Rainbow

by sba4life USER (2 Reviews)
April 13th, 2010 | 56 replies | 5,068 views

Review Summary: Coheed honor colorblind people who admire rainbows with an excellent record!

2000 was the year of the dragon for many people, especially those of Asian decent. This year might be the year that all rainbows are black because the world ends in 2012 and everyone with no money will die in a great flood. I hope I can listen to this record when that day comes!

This record is like Christmas for Jewish people. This record combines elements of previous efforts and combines them to form a trifecta of awesomeness that is Coheed And Cambria.There are very dark moments that are full of melancholy while at the same time we get the normal prescribed dosage of the poppier hooks and choruses. Chris Pennie also introduced new ideas with his new band Coheed And Cambria. There is some killer drumming. Especially the drumming on the song "Guns Of Summer". There are also techno beats on one song.

Claudio's voice sounds as hot as Jason Bieber's pants! The harmony vocals on "Here We Are, Juggernaut" are amazing! His range is at full display! I love everything about this record. My only huge complaint is the bass is not heard in many cases but we always have Chris Pennies rocking beats to cover up!

One thing that I can't stand about this album is the last song. It truly reeks of a GY!BE rip off! They try to make an epic buildup and climax but it is about as exciting as the last time Bill Clinton popped a woody.

I am steering clear from track by tracks forever. Please give me some feedback and some tips!

SUMMARY: This is Coheed's best record since 2004 for me. Great mix of styles!

iwrestledabigmaconce

haha

americanmusicmachine
April 13th 2010

think 'jewish' should be capitalized. otherwise fine effort.

Fixed! Thanks man!

April 13th 2010

im honestly disappointed with this album. id say its no better or worse than their last album

Acre
April 13th 2010

Um, no offense sir, but the title track sounds nothing like GY!BE. Building up to a climax is not exclusively the thing of post-rock, as much as it might surprise you.

Also, don't use exclamation marks when talking about elements of an album, it makes you sound fanboy-ish. The line "The harmony vocals on "Here We Are, Juggernaut" are amazing! His range is at full display!" could easily be changed to something like "The harmony vocals on "Here We Are, Juggernaut" are amazing, with Claudio's range at full display." and would make the review seem much more professional.

Similarily, you mostly skim by most of the aspects of the album, only mentioning two tracks and never even discussing the instrumental work beside the drums. Try to be a bit more thorough to give the reader a better sense of what exactly makes the album so excellent

Just some constructive advice for improving your writing.

PayneTiger777
April 13th 2010

Coheed is either hit or miss, and they are a big fricken miss for me.

Willie
April 13th 2010

The first paragraph is asinine babbling. Who cares what 2000 was? It doesn't even relate in the least to this album. Also, it's "descent".

This record is like Christmas for Jewish people.
What does that even mean? Last time I checked, Jewish people don't celebrate Christmas and couldn't care less about it. So, this record is…. easily dismissible…. something I should totally ignore…. what could you possibly mean?
You're aware that this doesn't make sense either….
Chris Pennie also introduced new ideas with his new band Coheed And Cambria.
Really? Is that his new band? I wouldn't have guessed from the fact that this is a Coheed review…

I'll stop there… needless to say, one of those negs are mine.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

April 13th 2010

thanks for the criticism. Ill use these pointers on my next review!

Deviant.
April 13th 2010

Sounds like someone just finished watching Pineapple Express. And now you've annoyed Willie, do you know how long it takes to get him out of that state? Thanks a lot man

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

WILLIE SMASH

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Xenophanes
April 13th 2010

I pos'd this....because, well, idk why, but it made me lol

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

Is it that bad?

Deviant.

Its pretty terrible, honestly

damn :/

April 13th 2010

It seems like you just reviewed the album just for the sake of reviewing. I suggest sit down with this album and really write a review.

Athom
April 13th 2010

if you put the same effort into actually describing things as you did into making quippy remarks you'd come out with something good.

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

April 13th 2010

I might review a record that doesn't have any reviews yet!

April 13th 2010

That's always a good decision

Emim
April 13th 2010

You might also stop using so damn many exclamation points!

Oceanus
April 13th 2010

Something else to keep in mind is that your review should defend your rating. I honestly can't dig up a purpose to this review, and I think that if you write with a purpose or an idea-oriented mentality (instead of a "let's just write about YOTBR" mentality), your reviews will turn out better.