Bleeding Through

2.0
poor

by Adam Thomas STAFF
April 11th, 2010 | 110 replies

Review Summary: Bleeding Through are back and sound the same as ever.

If one was to attach a hackneyed aphorism to Bleeding Through's career it would be “If it ain't broke, don't fix it”. At Metalcore's rise to underground dominance at the beginning of the last decade, Bleeding Through made a name for themselves by combining the aggro-tough guy posturing of Hardcore with a fascination with Death Metal. The problem with this is that while Bleeding Through are far from broken, they are stagnant. Sure, The Truth saw them smooth out some of their rough edges and garnered them more then their fair share of attention from various sides of the music press, although that was due more to the band's resident piece of eye candy Marta Peterson than to anything actually music related, but it was still just more of the same. So now on a new label and starting off their second decade as a band, Bleeding Through's eponymous album is exactly what we've come to expect from them: more of the same.

Between the one dimensional onslaught of tight, but glaringly repetitive riffs and an annoying reliance on uninventive breakdowns, Bleeding Through is shot down before it even gets a chance to get off of the ground. Every track sounds like a retread of the track that preceded it, in so much that by the time the first half of the album has finished, the second half plays out like clock work, each time change and breakdown arriving just when you would expect it to like the across town express. Making things worse, Bleeding Through's ties with the Orange County, CA tough-guy Hardcore scene has them dipping into cliché gang-vocal shout outs whenever they run out of ideas. Topping things off, Brendan Schieppati's pissed off lyrical bent is grating and ridiculous. In the past it was easy to see that the source of his respect issues stemmed from his long standing dispute with Trustkill Records, but now that he's actually getting his royalty checks, his lyrics are reaching at best and downright laughable at their worst.

Bleeding Through's self-titled album is yet another Bleeding Through release that tries to skirt by on the bare minimum. For every good idea presented, there are three more trite and tired ideas weighted to it, dragging it down into the abyss. Hey, at least they're consistent.

At the Gates At War with RealityWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
2.9
good
MoosechriS (3)
Bleeding Through return but somehow you get the feeling you've heard it all before!?...

B R A N D O N S C O T T (1.5)
Bleeding Through continue their battle against well executed metalcore....

Athom

album blows.

Thor

where's the tracklist

Athom
April 11th 2010

just fixed that. guess the guy that added it didn't post it.

Hawks
April 11th 2010

I really enjoyed this album. Maybe it's because I've never been a really big fan of Bleeding Through and never listened to all their albums so I don't see it as being repetitive. The only other album I've heard is The Truth and I thought this one was better.

Deviant.

3.5 by Bleeding Through standards

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

April 11th 2010

True say, by Bleeding Through standards this is decent. By general music standards, this is ass.

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

Spec
April 11th 2010

That was a crappy ass review.

Digging: Midnight - No Mercy for Mayhem

Tits McGee

lol

Really nice review; you really do a good job with the concise reviews.

Nikkolae
April 12th 2010

so i guess its safe to say i wont check this out, dissapointed i am

Digging: Giant - Song

InFiction
April 12th 2010

I wish Bleeding Through (among many other stale bands) will realise that music has evolved and this one dimensional style of music isn't going to cut it anymore. You can't play the same stuff over again. Just my two cents.

Digging: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

theacademy
April 12th 2010

man ure so tough on metalcore bands with no cred!

Ire
April 12th 2010

this is a the perfect representation for this mehtastic band.

30 point bonus for big waior words.

JWT155
April 12th 2010

Review summed it up perfect for me. Bland repetitive songs, predictable breakdowns and horrible lyrics. Check check and check.

ThePalestMexican
April 12th 2010

I actually didn't like The Truth, was kinda like.....without sounding troll-ish, trying to look brutal, but really quite poser-ish.

Aaron
April 12th 2010

Compared to their equivalents this is good, but the entire metalcore genre has begun flogging a dead horse in perfect windmilled unison. Good review though aside from the one-sidedness of the argument.

Mordecai.
April 12th 2010

Aaron and Ruins have the best avatar's on the internet right now

Metalstyles
April 12th 2010

cool review Adam. I missed the metalcore hype-train when it was rolling on full speed, so I must say I don't even know these guys, but judging by this review, I'm not missing anything either.

Inveigh
April 12th 2010

good review, though I disagree with the rating. I didn't like The Truth and thought Declaration was pretty good, though the guitars were still and indistinguishable mess and none of the songs stood out.

The lyrics on this one are still shit, but at least the production's better, the riffs are actually somewhat memorable, his clean vocals aren't as cringe-inducing and the keys add a lot to the sound. For this type of metalcore in 2010, it really doesn't get a whole lot better than this.

But seriously, I think this Brandon guy has like a decade long lyrical writer's block. It seems like he's just tearing pages out of the back of his 8th grade science notebook and trying to pass them off as fresh words. Soooooo bad. I find this to be a fun listen, though I probably won't have any use for it beyond next week.

Digging: Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary

Roach
April 12th 2010

and what you've said equates to this being a 'great album'?

yeah right

Inveigh
April 12th 2010

for this type of metalcore, yes this album is great. Probably Bleeding Through's best. There's just a bias on this site against any metalcore that leans towards the metal side of things rather than spastic hardcore (other than August Burns Red's latest for some reason).

In any case, my rating for this will most likely go down in the future, as discs like this don't have much staying power. But for what the band was going for, I think a 3.5 is legit.