Architects
Nightmares

by Spec USER (44 Reviews)
April 9th, 2010 | 21 replies | 5,149 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Rare Band That Has The Guts Not Just To Chug For The Sake Of It. Fantastic Debut.

Architects are a 5 piece Metalcore/Hardcore band from Brighton, who specialise in jarring rhythms, off beat time signatures and foot to the floor, knockout speed. It would be easy for someone to shove them in the same tidy little pigeonhole as Johnny Truant, Dillinger Escape Plan and anyone else remotely technical and challenging, but to do that would be sacrilege. "Nightmares" is their first and last album with previous vocalist, Matt Johnson. This album in particular could be categorized as a tech metal album more so than metalcore.

The album opens with a ferocious blast of dazzling guitar work and scattered rhythms, all tied together by vocalist Matt Johnson's shredding, visceral screams. This is literally the stuff nightmares are made of, discordant, unhinged, disorientated, flashes of clarity sounding more powerful for the chaos that surrounds them. A superb example of this comes about half way through "In The Desert", the albums sixth track. The song itself is all chugging riffs and pinch harmonics, albeit at lighting speed. But at exactly 1 minute 58 seconds it descends into the most amazingly beautiful guitar line with an "I'd do anything..." refrain that almost brought tears it was that touching. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from an album called "Nightmares". For fans of the band's later albums, expect a complete change in vocal style that is much different than present vocalist, Sam Carter's.

The comparisons to Johnny Truant were bound to come, both are Brighton based bands who have toured together, both peddling a similar kind of terror, but what sets Architects apart is the dynamics, the guts not just to chug for the sake of it. It's that determination that makes Nightmares an absolute marvel. Now that Johnny Truant is gone, looks like Architects will have to carry the torch for the U.K's best new metal band.

The Flatliners Dead LanguageLiving With Lions Holy Shit
Architects Hollow CrownArchitects The Here and Now
The Pants Situation The Ugly ManMEANS More Than Watchmen For The Morning
Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) (4.5)
A band that is all too often overlooked in the UK metal scene. The band's debut showcases their perf...

Piglet
April 9th 2010

One review per main page.

atrink
April 9th 2010

er'rbody trying to bump my review off the main page...

Edwin
April 9th 2010

If they re-recorded this with Sam Carter it'd probably be their best.

April 9th 2010

That is a fantastic idea

adhoc
April 9th 2010

Best Architects album hands down!!

Plutonio
April 9th 2010

Weren't there like a hundred reviews for this at one point?

April 10th 2010

I thought there was only one. I try not to review albums that have a bum-load already.

cvlts
April 10th 2010

really no need for the capital letters in the summary.

other then that, good stuff dude.

Phrike

adhoc: YES!

Those are my feelings too man. I like you.

Pos'd

SmurkinGherkin

fucking love this album

probs my favourite metalcore record

good review as well, pos'd

NeutralThunder12
April 10th 2010

this bands new album sucks

Edwin
April 10th 2010

I can see why you might think it sucks, but I'll disagree.
I think they did a good job of streamlining their sound, without losing too much of the flair they have on this.

Burn2Burn
April 10th 2010

I think i like JT more, but this is still one crazy ass album. Still trying to get into Ruin and Hollow Crown though.

intothepit83
April 10th 2010

This album is just a big "NO!" to me. it's terrible

HighandDriving
April 10th 2010

If they re-recorded this with Sam Carter it'd probably be their best.

GTFO

and they did re-record To The Death.

Anyways this is their best albums, noobs might not agree, but it is.

Digging: Nightmares - Suspiria

SmurkinGherkin

^ fo sho

Phrike
April 11th 2010

Undoubtedly

Adash
November 20th 2010

this is unbelievably good, and the lyrics are great
whereas on the other albums, the lyrics are shit

May 7th 2011

Such an awesome album.

MalleusMaleficarum
May 7th 2011

havent listened to this in awhile. should re-visit