We Came As Romans
To Plant a Seed

good

by James Jaskolka USER (10 Reviews)
April 8th, 2010 | 22 replies

Review Summary: Joey Sturgis must die.

I have to admit that up-and-coming metalcore bands have it tough. Most modern metalcore acts rehash the same ideas over and over, and while they all try to bring something new to the table, it doesn’t always work that way. We Came As Romans take everything about this dying genre and do their best at being original.

Everything in this band seems to be required for today’s hardcore scene; lots of breakdowns, some synth, and lyrics about Jesus (thank you Underoath). Album opener “To Plant A Seed” wastes no time describing what the next 10 tracks are going to offer. They take everything that we have grown to associate with modern metalcore and actually throw in some pretty original twists in the form of guitar work. The breakdowns don’t do too much to help their cause, but around the halfway point of this song, we hear chugging guitars and double bass kicks followed by the vocalist roaring “Our visions for this world will not die when we are dead.” Cliché as it may be, there is no denying that the throaty, surprisingly gruff screams stand out in the wave of same-ness in metalcore.

With so much to work with, one might wonder why this album has been ridiculed and torn apart all over Sputnik and other various websites and magazines. It’s simple: Joey Sturgis must die.

The same monster that is responsible for the catastrophe that was Someday Came Suddenly, Joey Sturgis ruins a band’s potential once again. Production is the only thing that gets in the way of this band’s originality. Just when they kill you with a jaw dropping harmonic lead or well thought out synth section, a hideous autotuned bridge follows, making you shake your head. The true problem is that this album has been layered with generic vocal harmonies and autotune (Which make the clean vocalist’s voice nearly unlistenable after a few times through), as well as effects that make the guitars sound clean and lifeless. Not to mention the bass is inaudible.

Many of these problems can ruin a genuinely good record. When you produce it so much that the songs themselves lose personality, it can destroy potential. This band is good, and this album is good (maybe flattering a little too much), but it could have perhaps been more than that. If they broaden their horizons a little more and choose a producer more carefully, We Came As Romans could be a band to look out for one day.

Pros:
Good vocals (screams)
A splash of originality

Cons:
Overproduction ruins the record

Check out:

Motionless in White When Love Met DestructionA Day to Remember Homesick
3.2
good
Corey Hoffmeyer (3.5)
Despite some major cliches, We Came as Romans manages to create a fun, workable album....

Christopher (3)
A lot to be enjoyed, but a lot of filler, and lacks major song writings skills. An above average lis...

Carnifex

1918 Comments

Good review, but this album is terrible.

dansxdead
April 8th 2010

Good review. Sturgis fucked their shit up after the EP.

April 8th 2010

Agree with this review 200%. Also not all of the album Sturgis has produced have been like this.

But this style of production is definitely terrible for anything outside of pleasing scene kids. That's why people hate the genre. They hear stuff like this, Attack Attack and all the other overproduced generic garbage and then judge anything related by that experience. Of course the opposite of that is the stuff like Emmure and Suicide Silence which just go for all out "brutal" and neglect any other musical elements. There's a lot of room between these two extremes and there are plenty of bands that fall within them that are actually good.

It just happens that the generic stuff is at the forefront, and people are wary of venturing further because of the crap they see people hailing as the "best" is actually awful.

JoeJonas1997

eye leik this bandd

April 8th 2010

Best summary ever. He's the hottest producer right now in metalcore and post-hardcore though, he's gonna be around for a very long time me thinks.

AbyssalCreation

2041 Comments

I second Blocs comment.Best Summary ever.I hope he doesn't ruin the new Born of Osiris.

April 8th 2010

Shit you totally reminded me that he's producing the new Osiris. I am so damn excited to hear his impact especially in that band.

April 8th 2010

Well he seems to be fine when he's doing things that are actually metal. He did both For the Fallen Dreams albums, The Crimson Armada and Woe of Tyrants, and those all turned out fine. I'm not too familar with Born of Osiris but as long as they don't have too many clean vocal parts they should be fine.

danrawkz
April 8th 2010

Suddenly Came Sunday wasn't bad because of it's production: it was bad because the music was utter rubbish. Even the band admit most of the album was written in a rush because they simply needed to release an album within a certain time frame.

The production is good for this album as far as I'm concerned, and from an engineering point of view, I like Joey Sturgis. I think you overstate the effect T-Pain style autotuning actually has on this album, because I can only recall about 5 instances across the entire album it's actually used.

April 8th 2010

323, that's actually a good point, he usually does well in harsher stuff without any clean vocals or whatever. It's not like I am worried about him on the new Osiris, but since I looooooooooooved their last album I really want to hear it.

dan, vocal tuning is probably what stands out most but you have to consider the other instruments too. On all his records, the drums have sounded absolutely terrible (the worst is on Of Machines) while the guitars always seem to sound the same no matter who the band is.

April 8th 2010

Although the autotune isn't as blatant as Attack Attack, every clean vocal part sounds almost exactly alike and has a distinct sound of production, at least from what I can remember. I would also agree with bloc that a lot of the instruments sound alike, and that generally the tone he uses sounds unrealistic and over-electronic (if that makes any sense).

And yeah the music sucked in Attack Attack but the production didn't help the situation at all.

MentalityOfA
April 8th 2010

Never found this album very interesting.

danrawkz
April 18th 2010

It's no surprise all the guitars sound the same across the guys discography, because as far as I'm aware they all use the same patch on POD studio and none of his albums have been recorded with typical amp/mic setups.

I think this album is better depending on how many Joey Sturgis albums you've listened to /laugh. I tend to avoid anything other than about 4 bands he's done and I think that preserves some of the appeal.

I think you'll find most of the vocal parts sound like that simply because it's how the vocalist singing voice sounds, and he doesn't have much of a range (yet), I'd expect that to improve on their next release though.

TheSpirit

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

Broken Statues rules though

cycon0
June 25th 2010

Joey is great with fake instruments and knows how to make every band sound the same with is producing "skillzzz". Havent you all noticed by now that every drum is sampled the exact same way from him, no matter who the drummer is and what band he is in? Or how the guitars all seem to be the same tone and cleanness. I think it has to deal with him using lots of software and little to no hardware. Yes he has amps in his studio (most notably mesa rectifiers) but every band has it's own sound which he is infringing on. I feel he did in fact harm WCAR by producing this album. It was terrible! I remember listening to these guys when their Debut EP came out and thinking "they are pretty badass" but with this release..........man.

/end rant.

June 25th 2010

^ That is the truth right there. Joey Sturgis is the only conceivable reason that they could go from being good on their EP to utterly forgettable on here.

June 25th 2010

Yeah, I definitely agree with him too. The guitars sound so stale because he uses DI and software to produce them. I don't think he ever uses mics and amps like usual.