Sigur Ros
Takk...

by jesusjuice1179 USER (6 Reviews)
April 1st, 2010 | 26 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Quite possibly the most conflicting album ever created

Sigur Ros is one of the most unique bands out there. Not because of how well they play their instruments, or how tight and technical their music is; but because they rely on one very basic, universal idea to connect with the listener: emotion. Sigur Ros relies almost entirely on evoking radically changing emotions within the listener to truly connect with them. And, fortunately, they have the songwriting skill to use this tactic. And let me tell you, it works. This album is a roller coaster ride of emotions, ranging from happy and uplifting, to downright sad. What makes Sigur Ros even more unique is that they manage to evoke these powerful emotions on two fronts.

The first being the actual music, meaning the instruments. They range anywhere from guitars to percussion to horns, all of which are fantastic and work in unison to create mostly uplifting feelings. Each track flows directly into the next, keeping that level of joy at a constant. The variety of styles in which the instruments help to create these emotions is also impressive. In some instances, the music is relatively straight-forward, providing those happy pop melodies at the forefront of the song. Other times, one has to search through the atmospheric haze of guitar drone and feedback to find the uplifing sections. Sometimes it's a simple piano pattern playing underneath all the noise, or it's a lone string churning out joyful notes.

The other way the band conveys these emotions is through lead singer Jonsi, whose ethereal, airy delievery is something to behold. However, instead of instilling the listener with those same uplifting feelings, he instead evokes sad and melancholic emotions. There always seems to be something hidden beneath his delivery (especially his higher pitched, near soprano howls) something mournful and lost. It's almost like you just want to give him a really big hug and tell him everything will be okay, but both you and he know that it won't. Singing in Icelandic also contributes to his mournful undertones. The language itself is beautiful, and very fitting for the music, but, as beautiful as it is, it seems like something more fitting for a funeral than for upbeat music. Another reason why the language helps to create melancholic emotions may be the fact that we don't understand what he's saying. This may be a stretch, but it seems like he chose to sing in Icelandic to hint at the fact that he is alone (at least in terms of the world; only 300,000 people speak Icelandic). The language itself is a symbol for his loneliness and his vocal delivery is symbolic of his longing for someone, anyone, to recognize that he is there.

It is this very conflict that makes Sigur Ros truly unique, and what makes this album such an enjoyable listen. The conflict between the vocals and the instruments help to create a plethora of emotions, and when combined, create something all together beautiful.

I Am Abomination Jaw DropperBeloved Failure On
Hammock Raising Your Voice... Trying to Stop an EchoVersus The Ocean If Only You Knew...
Moving Mountains Pneuma
4.2

April 1st 2010

I'm using this site to improve my writing skills so any criticsms would be gladly accepted

April 1st 2010

ugh...i hate how this came out looking so short

Ponton
April 1st 2010

one of my favs, saeglopur is best. pos

they also use their "hopelandic" as well

Digging: Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were

thanks man

April 1st 2010

awesome album. the first sentence of the third paragraph could do with tidying up dude but cool review

any better Amarin?

TheSpirit
April 1st 2010

good review, probably my favorite Sigur Ros album.

Digging: Volahn - Aq Ab Al

April 1st 2010

er yeah man, hope it was cool me saying

April 1st 2010

@Spirit: it's the only one I've heard so far, so do u have any suggestions as to which one I should listen to next?

April 1st 2010

@Amarin: lol yea dude I wasn't offended or anything, i'm using this to improve my writing so i welcome the criticism

April 1st 2010

Not because of how well they play their instruments, or how tight and technical their music is, but because they rely on one very basic, universal idea to connect with the listener; emotion

Should be something like this... "Not because of how well they play their instruments, or how tight and technical their music is; but because they rely on one very basic universal idea to connect with the listener: emotion."

TheSpirit
April 1st 2010

I would suggest Agaetis Byrjun, it's pretty underrated around here, but definitely one of the bands best

April 1st 2010

cool man, i think you describe the album really well and the point you make about the language is interesting, never occured to me before. all their albums are pretty decent btw, especially the new one with incredibly long name

April 1st 2010

Thanks prophet, my grammar is horrible and Spirit I will definitely check that out

eggsvonsatan
April 2nd 2010

Yes that is quite a stretch.
Some comments: Its fine that you talk about the emotion conveyed, but I think you could spend some more time talking about the music itself. Also, you should mention particular songs to prove your points better.

Aside from criticism, this album doesn't really come off as sad, especially compared to some tracks on ( ) and Agaetis Byrjun. While there are highs and lows here, I see the overall tone of the album as very uplifting and inspirational.

I should probably bump this to a 5 seeing as I have so much to blab about.

AmericnZero02
April 2nd 2010

Great great album. I've been thinking about bumping my rating for this up too. Good review, though I felt like I didn't get a sense of closure from the conclusion.

Douglas
April 2nd 2010

Actaully never thought about that Icelandic concept before, highly doubt it would be right, but that would be swell.

April 2nd 2010

Pretty sure he sings in Icelandic because the band is, you know, from Iceland.

Douglas

no shit sherlock

April 2nd 2010

...point being theres no reason to dig deeper into it.