Black Flag
Nervous Breakdown

by ihopeuchoke USER (3 Reviews)
April 1st, 2010 | 51 replies

Release Date: 1978 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 5 minutes of raw, unadulterated punk rock.

In just 5 minutes, Black Flag, the California hardcore punk group, was able to lay down the groundwork for not only the rest of their career, but for the entire hardcore punk and DIY scene. In their first career release, Nervous Breakdown [EP], the guitar was less than technical and often basic as well as singing that sounded like a drunken man; however, this is what made Black Flag so great. Even with the simplicities and lack of technical prowess, Black Flag showed intense and raw emotion which made their first release a masterpiece.

The EP begins with the title track “Nervous Breakdown,” which showcases everything that the listener is going to get from them for the rest of the EP: raw and furious guitar riffs from Greg Ginn and roaring, angry vocals from lead singer Keith Morris. “I’m about to have a nervous breakdown, my head really hurts. If I don’t find a way out of here, I’m gonna go berserk ‘cus I’m crazy and I’m hurt.” These angry, paranoid lyrics from the title track are exactly what is shown in each song on this EP.

Everything on this EP is raw and angry. In “I’ve Had It” Morris yells “I’m going to explode, I’ve had it!” The guitar roars along with him until Morris’ seemingly delusional laugh to end the song. The song is under 90 seconds, but no time is wasted in those. Each second is stuffed with as much raw emotion as possible. Tracks “Fix Me” and “Wasted” are even shorter, both being under a minute.

In these 5 minutes, Black Flag was able to do something that most bands only dream of: pack raw emotion without wasting a second. With only their first release, Black Flag exploded on the scene with this masterpiece of an EP. Their later releases, while not as raw, angry or all around great as Nervous Breakdown, would give them the role as the band to follow for aspiring hardcore punk bands as well as DIY bands. This EP is not only a masterpiece musically, but it set the groundwork for every punk band since.

4.4

ihopeuchoke
April 1st 2010

First review. Please be kind... Please?

dylantheairplane

Good review.
Black Flag rules

ihopeuchoke
April 1st 2010

Yeah, I figured it was short. But what else could I do with an album that's both 5 minutes and 4 tracks long?

Insurrection
April 1st 2010

Don't listen to him, it's a fine length. Nice first review.

Digging: Soen - Tellurian

combustion07

Glad to see this reviewed. BLACK FLAG FTMFW

TheSpirit
April 1st 2010

Length is perfect, good review.

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

Enotron
April 1st 2010

Very nice first review. I need this.

iBosley
April 1st 2010

This needed a review. Great job

TheyTookOurJobs

good reveiw

dimsim3478
December 10th 2010

Even though it's a bit short, this is a very good review. Keep writing, man!

BLACK FLAG!!!!!!

Digging: Crying - Get Olde Second Wind

emmy
December 10th 2010

good review

i would have preferred a 2 paragraph metaphor and more semi-colons though

deerfeelthis
December 20th 2010

This is one of my favorite records ever

ApplicationToHeaven

better than damaged [2]

Digging: Autechre - LP5

JokineAugustus
August 28th 2013

wtf? That's 7 times this albums length though.

Digging: Cursed - I

sixdegrees

so what

JokineAugustus
August 28th 2013

Isn't that a bad comparison?

demigod!
August 28th 2013

not really i mean i just find this a more enjoyable listen than damaged, that's all