The Reign Of Kindo
Rhythm, Chord & Melody

by Max Paradise USER (18 Reviews)
April 1st, 2010 | 34 replies | 12,957 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Possibly one of the greatest albums of all time. The 'classic' tag may seem like an overexaggeration--until you hear the music.

When The Reign of Kindo released their debut album in August of 2008, to minor critical acclaim, and almost everyone continuing to have no idea who they are. However, the few who did perk their ears up and search out a copy of Rhythm, Chord & Melody discovered an absolute masterpiece. Beginning with a soft piano line, "The Moments In Between" slowly builds up to an explosive chorus, reaching huge emotional heights just two minutes into the album. And yes, every single song has one of these moments in them--from the absolutely beautiful saxophone solo in the title track, to the furious lyrics juxtaposed by gorgeous melodies in "Breathe Again," to the awe-inspiring start-stop instrumentals of "Great Blue Sea," everywhere you turn, this album throws something new and impressive at you.

The music itself is difficult to describe, a sort of combination of Minus The Bear-esque indie math rock, with evident fusion and jazz influences and an impeccable sense of timing and ebb-and-flow. The drums are a constantly moving, technical force, while the bass provides a wonderful background to the guitars and keys, which meld together, trading off melodies and rhythms, never content to simply play chords. The keys are straight out of a Monty Alexander or Chick Corea jazz piece, while the guitars emulate the softer math rock of Minus The Bear's early albums. The melodies are fast moving and complex, but never overbearing or difficult to keep track of, and all of the musicians show a level of virtuosity that would normally be cause for extreme pretension. Instead, every member of the band consistently knows his place, and never takes over, instead letting the music go where it's meant to, resisting the urge to show off while still impressing the listener greatly.

The vocals are a beast of their own, on par with all the brilliant instrumentals present on the album. Soft at times, Joseph Secchiaroli's voice is smooth and beautiful, and he displays remarkable capacity for emotion when the music swells and his voice absolutely soars over the backing instruments, taking center stage when needed and backing away to let the instruments take over when the moment is right.

Overall, The Reign of Kindo have managed to craft an absolutely breath-taking album, filled to the brim with beauty, emotion, originality, and talent. Their jazzy take on indie math rock continues to impress on every single track on their debut album, and is possibly some of the most universally enjoyable music ever created. Give it a try--I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

DIR EN GREY DUM SPIRO SPEROGiles Corey Giles Corey
Aethere Wave ExistenceSkrillex Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
Drop Dead, Gorgeous Worse Than A Fairy TaleThursday A City By the Light Divided
4.3
Caleb McAlpine (3.5)
the best half-an-album you may ever hear...

LiquidVelvet
April 1st 2010

Edit: Fixed, thanks.

KritikalMotion
May 22nd 2012

I really like their latest so will get on this, always surprised how good they are when I listen to
them but i felt like that album was too long.

SmokingTheClouds
May 22nd 2012

Near everything these guys do is perfect. My only issue with this record was a couple of songs, individually, didn't click for me. Even then, this album is beautiful, and I adore it. Bit more partial to This Is What Happens, but hey.

Great review. Though their is blatant traces of Progressive Rock in their soundscape, I'm not sure I'd ever go as far as to call them, Math Rock. I don't know, I just think of Maps & Atlases, and, This Town Needs Guns, when I hear the tag.

jackalope11
June 28th 2012

I just listened to Hold Out, and it may have been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I cannot WAIT to be obsessed with these guys!

drewcordova
June 28th 2012

Great album.

Pathogenic
September 7th 2012

These guys are so amazing.

sixdegrees

ridiculously chill album.

ITsHxCTOASTER
October 17th 2012

Chill is not an adjective god dammit

sixdegrees
October 17th 2012

idgaf and neither should you!

Omaha
November 16th 2012

I checked out 'The Moments In Between', and didn't care for it much at all on the first listen.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

IMZA1793
January 9th 2013

So good.

WilliaMega
January 28th 2013

Singer's style and voice sound almost identical to Casey Crescenzo from The Dear Hunter/TREOS

February 4th 2013

Amazing album.

Tonger
February 18th 2013

I still constantly listen to this album. Absolutely beautiful.

ITsHxCTOASTER
February 18th 2013

I used to love the absolute fuck out of this and then I listened a while back and wasn't digging it all that much, should probably check again soon

March 27th 2013

"The moments in between" has the best chorus i've heard in a while.

Sheaiskl
March 31st 2013

I can't really fault this to be honest, might 5 it.

Calc

11940 Comments

It should already be fived..

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

Sheaiskl
March 31st 2013

Ok ok calm, I do think though that the first half is stronger

March 31st 2013

Title track + I Hear That Music Play combo, helps the second half a lot.