Matthew Good Band
Avalanche

by guitarnugget USER (5 Reviews)
September 15th, 2005 | 5 replies | 2,737 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Who's Matthew Good?

For those who don't live in Canada (proud resident), Matthew Good is our answer to Oasis, combining amazingly pretty melodies with great uplifting lyrics, or moody melodies combined with lyrics that are so depressing you could hang your head and cry. The Vancouver, Canada, group called the MGB, or the Matthew Good Band, formed in 1995. Since then, MGB has been stirring things up a bit in the Canadian world of music and by 2000, was set to do a little stirring in the United States. The band has already walked away with a number of awards and nominations, such as Best Male Vocalist, Best Live Performance, Artists of the Year, Best Group, Best Album, Best Video, Best Single, and more. The group's list of hits is growing just as fast. Members of the MGB are frontman Matthew Good as vocalist and guitarist, Dave Genn on keyboards and guitar, Ian Browne as drummer and percussionist, and Rich Priske as bassist.
When Matthew Good first formed MGB, it was kind of by accident. He was recording a few songs he had written and called some musician friends together to help out. The name Matthew Good Band was just something he came up with, something he meant to use for a while until he could think up a better name. Fate happened to step in and take over. That first album, Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, an independent release, did better than any of them ever dreamed. It even earned MGB Most Played New Artists for 1996. In 1997, a sophomore album, Underdogs, was recorded in Canada under the Darktown Records/A&M label. "Hello Time Bomb" was the first single released to the United States audience. It landed on the Billboard charts almost instantly. The single was followed in 1999 by another album, Beautiful Midnight, completed on the Atlantic Records label. It was released in Canada first, debuting at number one on the SoundScan chart there, going double platinum, and then hitting the States for January of 2000. Some of the other tracks from this first full-length offering to cross the border are "I Miss New Wave," "A Boy and His Machine Gun," "Running for Home," "Let's Get It On," "Failing the Rorschach Test," and "Strange Days." ~ Charlotte Dillon, All Music Guide
nder how he's been around for this long.

Though with the success of MGB, they soon split up, which launced Matthew Good's solo carreer, giving us such gems as Avalanche and White Light Rock n Roll review.

Matthew Good Band (for Avalanche)
Matthew Good: Vox, Guitar, Piano, Percussion
Patrick Steward: Drums, Percussion
Richard Priske: Bass, Additional Keys

Track Listings:

Pledge Of Allegience- Starting out a great album on a high note, Pledge Of Allegience shows matthew good doing his thing. Great musicianship, amazing lyrics and the bells are a great touch. A great example of what these guys can do.

5/5

Lullaby For The New World Order - Right off the bat, you can what the song is, a beautifully orchestrated ditty featuring a great vocal performance. A beautiful song that helps introduce a great album.

5/5

Weapon- The first single off the album, a dark song, saying how emotions can be your weapon, and the unedited version plays up to 2:25 seconds longer that the radio play- just more to enjoy of this beautifully depressing song featuring an all star performance. Great chorus.

5/5

In A World Called Catastrophe - I, Personally cant stand this song. The second single is just too poppy for some (me), and a happy ballad for others. I perfer the first one.

2/5

Avalanche - The title track, and the best song on the album, this song gives us over seven and a half minutes of music, with a haunting intro complete with persistant chanting, which ascends into a real beautiful song, with awe inspiring chorus hooks, with a powerful performance by Good, who steals the show. Possibly one of my favorite songs ever.

6/5

21st Century - Starts with a talking guy, hosting a phone in talk show, and the result is dark but humorous, and the song itself is nothing short of astonishing, and is one of the best on the album. Another great perfomance by all members. Well Done!

5/5

While We Where Hunting Rabbis - Very little can really express the beauty of this song, giving Matt a perfect performance, and giving his best performance on the album. Sheer beauty and instrumentations give this song a quinessential value to it. The percussion is great, and great lyrics, and a quiet chorus,give this song an extra zest.

5/5

Bright End Of Nowhere - A quiet song, this balladish tune is heavy on acoustics, laying us with a repetitive beat, leading into a beautiful instrument break, with matt breaking in with some of the greatest lyrics on the album. It's hard to imagine how to satisfy a listener so, but Matt Good does so, keeping us fresh with this song. Great Piano,

5/5

Near Fantastica - An electric, song, Near Fantastica starts with a severely edited drum beat, which leads into a great alt. rock piece complete with turntables and orchetrations. Another gem, and one of the best.

5/5

Song For The Girl - It's not that's it's not a great song, but it's been done befoe. Nuff Said.

3/5

Double Life - Once again, it's merely ok, and the band is getting into more weird stuff, like the guitar sound, but it's the rhythm section that saves this song from a 2.5.

3.5/5

A Long Way Down - Ah! This is more like it! a terrific performance with ear popping musicianship, with Matt singing about some modern inconveniences(?), and the lurching piano makes a second spectacular performance, with a drum & vocal chorus, this song has everything. Hats off, matt good!

5/5

House Of Smoke And Mirrors - Another acoustic song, hsm represents simple music writing but takes it to the next level - matt's singing his heart out, and that gives this song something new, while the rhythm section quietly following along the the piano, and matt's powerful performance.

4.5/5

An unbelievable album, this is a quinessential alternative album, and even though White Light Rock n Rol review is nowhere near as good as this, this album is definitley a milestone for alternative music.

Just genious. Nirvana should be jealous.

GN

4.2
Mike Stagno EMERITUS (4.5)

Boxes Of Cats (4.5)

Zesty Mordant
September 15th 2005

Dammit i was just thinking about reviewing this album. oh well, good review anyways though.

However this is definately not a 5 star album. I'd give it around 3.5. His lyrics are great, but the musicianship is a little on the bland side. His vocals aren't too strong either.

Plus prolonged listening to Matt Good in general usually makes me depressed as hell.This Message Edited On 09.15.05

Xander_Christ
September 15th 2005

I give it a 4. This and Audio of Being are my favourite Matt Good albums. I didn't like his last one, White Light Rock and Roll Review, it was too bland and rock-radio-ish. This album is good tho, it puts me right to sleep in a good way.
My fav tracks are Pledge of Allegiance and While We Were Hunting Rabbits

Two-Headed Boy
December 4th 2005

I might have to review this. You didn't do a good job.This Message Edited On 07.16.06

Music_Is_My_Life
January 25th 2006

Good review, could have used more in depth descriptions of each track.
This album is, without a doubt, Matt's best work yet. While we were hunting rabbits, Avalanche, 21st century living and Weapon are my personal favs from this album.

flamethisuser
April 7th 2008

Oasis? Really?

---

Some of Matt's best songs are on this (Near Fantastica, While We Were Hunting Rabbits, 21st Century Living, etc.), but its just too inconsistent for me to give it a 5.