Skycamefalling
Skycamefalling

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (66 Reviews)
March 26th, 2010 | 15 replies | 6,158 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

If you’ve heard of Skycamefalling, you’ve more than likely heard of their first and only LP 10.21. It happens to be one of the most forward thinking hardcore albums in the genre, flawlessly implementing post-rock segments into their driving metalcore sound. It may sound like an odd combination, but Skycamefalling were talented enough to pull it off. After a couple years of touring for 10.21, Skycamefalling decided to go their separate ways. But not before giving the fans one more treat.

Skycamefalling only contains two tracks which seems a bit underwhelming after the juggernaut that is 10.21. On the flip side, these two tracks are a large step forward in Skycamefalling’s sound. In their past releases, standard metalcore took center stage with the post-rock sections being used mainly as intros, outros, or interludes. Here, the post- and -core are balanced out giving them a more post-hardcore oriented sound. This style change proved to be an improvement in their songwriting, showing they can completely blend their two genres without it coming across as forced. The players of the band also improved, most notably singer Christopher Tzompanakis. In their previous efforts, all he did was belt the same scream throughout all their material, leaving the clean singing to guitarist Cameron Keym. On this EP, Christopher takes on most vocal duties which was a brave move on his part. His clean singing is a bit nasally and occasionally out-of-tune, but it molds with the music quite well and he still has the signature scream he’s known for.

Essentially, this EP is simply a taste of what Skycamefalling could’ve become. It really doesn’t hold up against 10.21 due to the severe lack of material, but these songs can almost be considered two of the best songs they’ve recorded. It’s a damn shame they broke up immediately after releasing this EP because this definitely was a maturation of the band. Regardless, leaving us with two great songs is sure as hell better than leaving us with nothing.

Within the Ruins PhenomenaSonic Syndicate Sonic Syndicate
Origin OmnipresentMuse Dead Star/In Your World
Justin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2Black Tongue Born Hanged

20631 Comments

I don't think this is anywhere on the internet aside from Youtube so if you want the Mp3's I'll be happy to give them out.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

cinaedus
March 26th 2010

cool story bro. oh and that would be much appreciated

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

20631 Comments

Sorry they're only at 128kbps but it's better than nothing.

Brokenjewel
March 26th 2010

I loved To Forever Embrace The Sun and 10.21. Never heard of this, though.

cinaedus
March 26th 2010

these guys need to reunite... their myspace is desolate

Brokenjewel
March 26th 2010

Thanks for sharing it, man.

No problem at all.

Edwin
March 27th 2010

Thanks for these man, they're pretty interesting.
Pos'd the review, 2 track EP's ftw.

March 27th 2010

20631 Comments

Haha, your review actually inspired me to review this.

Edwin
March 28th 2010

I'm glad to hear I've been so inspirational.
Nothing quite like a good EP. (Except a good LP).

March 28th 2010

True dat.

witchxrapist
September 9th 2010

This EP is so fucking good seriously. Thera is one of my favorite songs ever.

Digging: Stray From the Path - Our Oceania

TheMoreira
July 29th 2012

pos'd
I feel kinda dumb that im yet to listen to this band.

Digging: Vinterbris - Solace

November 12th 2012

thera is incredible

deezer666
June 23rd 2014

Have to be honest Im glad they called it quits. 'To Forever..' was the best shit they ever recorded. Remember picking it up as a 16 year old and being blown away and is STILL a great record. Even better than the album for me. This is moving into a direction I wouldn't have cared for and tainted their name in my memory banks.

Digging: Slugdge - Gastronomicon