Muse
The Resistance

by red0 USER (14 Reviews)
March 26th, 2010 | 18 replies

Review Summary: Epic, bombast, pure album rock straight from 1975; flaws and all, The Resistance is still a solid album if a bit different and ridiculous.

Everyone goes around and says what Muse should be-what they sound like, who they’re influenced by, or who they’ve copied. It’s actually quite ridiculous when you tend to think about it; from the second Muse burst on to the scene they were obviously influenced by Radiohead, added a bit of the bombast of Queen, and experimented like Pink Floyd. Who else, other than Muse, would have the balls to release a song like “Micro Cuts”? From the second that over-the-top, operatic song was released, their ambitions should have been blatantly obvious. Yet why is it that the release of “The Resistance” caught people off-guard? It was apparently coming, the so-called “loveably lame” Muse have an obsession with the large and grandiose, and after slowly working their way towards those ambitions with their past three releases, Muse did it all in one album, and split the fan base in appropriately epic proportions.

“The Resistance” is quite the tough and challenging album-especially for a typical Muse fan. Outside of perhaps two or three songs, it’s unfamiliar territory. Bellamy’s falsetto is mostly absent, riffs are sparse, and it sounds like Depeche Mode in places. It’s scatterbrained, and massively epic towards the end (that’s right, a three-part symphony concludes the album), and a bit cheesy. But it’s not intolerable like everyone. The songs are weaker than previous, the music cornier, but the album is epic, retro, classically influenced, and plays beautifully all the way through; which is what they wanted to accomplish-a great, huge concept album based as album rock and not a collection of singles.

However, there are a few unforgivable mistakes on the album, which unfortunately seems to be the case with all Muse albums. “I Belong to You” is horrific in more ways than it’s possible to count-the clarinet solo is horrific, the lyrics mind-numbingly dumb, and it sounds awfully like Maroon 5 kidnapped the rest of the band. “Undisclosed Desires” is almost forgivable, considering its not alright, but it sounds a lot like, either a R&B song or a Depeche Mode B-side. Whether or not, the song is catchy, creative, fun, and danceable. More of a club-oriented “Supermassive Black Hole”, with less falsetto. Ignoring those two highly unusual tracks which barely sound like a Muse song at all; say what you want, The Resistance is a pretty damn solid album.

Starting off with the industrial-tinged mega hit “Uprising”, Muse picks up where the epic “Knights of Cydonia” left off. Lots of soaring synthesizers, pounding drums (Dominic Howard continues to improve behind the kit), a sing-along stadium revolution anthem, and some of Bellamy’s better lower-register vocals, “Uprising” is very reminiscent of past tracks and has appropriately rocketed the band to star-level status in the United States. The song glides right into the long, sprawling “Resistance”, which opens up slowly before plunging into a groove followed by a massive chorus. Once again, it’s a lot like older Muse tracks, just a little bit more progressive in a sense of the song’s construction. Bellamy’s lyrics are at his best, “Is our secret safe tonight/and are we out of sight/or will our world come tumbling down?/Can we find our hiding place/is this our last embrace?/Or will our world come tumbling down,”. But really, after this song, “The Resistance” takes a turn for the bombast first with the aforementioned “Undisclosed Desires” then the “Can we sound any more like Queen?” of “United States of Eurasia”. And even though the comparisons to other bands Muse draws get frustrating, it’s so hard not to see the glaring tribute or rip-off on “Eurasia”. Piano explodes into layered vocals, crowd-rousing chants of “Eur-ASIA!”, and a piece of Chopin’s music. Muse went out and said it sounded like Queen and it was more of a tribute-since, considering there’s always about one or two Queen-inspired tracks on a Muse album, it’s forgivable because the lyrics are great and it’s a catchy tune.

There’s a seamless transition into the ultra-cheesy love song (but the music of it is actually pretty cool) titled “Guiding Light”, which slides in right nicely after “Eurasia”. However, the ADD of old Muse of quickly resurfaces on “Unnatural Selection” and “MK Ultra”, definitely the stand-outs of the album. An organ introduction bleeds into sped-up choppy guitar riffs and quick changing segments ranging from loud to quiet, like a modern-day “Citizen Erased”. This song is a sure-fire way to assuage any doubts that Muse has disappeared completely, and next track “MK Ultra”, a fantastic distorted synthesizer/guitar anthem continues that assurance that Muse is still very well alive. After a trainwreck failed experiment of “I Belong to You”, the album launches into Bellamy’s massive symphony. Now, many bands use the term symphony very liberally, but “Exogenesis” really sounds like a symphony, borderline post-rock. “Overture” bleeds with strings and explodes into “Cross-Pollination” before settling down into the finale, ending the album on an epic scale. “Exogenesis”, lush with strings, ambience, and the return of Bellamy’s falsetto is magnificent, very easy to get “lost in”, and an alluring promise to what Muse can do in their future projects.

“The Resistance” isn’t perfect by any means, and some of its flaws are quite large. There’s not as many memorable songs as, say, “Origin of Symmetry”, but the album flows along like a classical work of album rock bombast, straight from 1975. Which is what Muse wanted to accomplish, and it seems unfair to grade the album because there’s not enough guitar riffs or there isn’t enough sing-a-long choruses. They wanted to craft a gigantic over-the-top progressive rock album, and whether it goes down as a flop or masterpiece is frivolous. Muse still sound like themselves, they gave fair warning that the album would be absolutely ridiculous, and sound like something from 1975 (which it does), so what’s the problem?

How to Destroy Angels How To Destroy AngelsThe Smashing Pumpkins Teargarden by Kaleidyscope, Vol. 1
Pink Floyd The Division BellThrobbing Gristle 20 Jazz Funk Greats
Alice in Chains Black Gives Way to BlueChevelle Sci-Fi Crimes
2.8
good

March 26th 2010

good review bro. never could get into this band that much though. ill download this first

March 26th 2010

Download Origin of Symmetry first (unless you don't like falsetto/soprano vocals by a guy). This is good, but Origin of Symmetry is like "DAMN!"

March 26th 2010

alright ill donwload that now. me and my friends do things caled "" online album swaps" where we send each other mediafire links and listen to the stuff

Omaha
March 26th 2010

Great review! I feel the same way, except for the fact that I love I Belong To You.

Digging: Thou - Heathen

haha typical "oh it's tribes = neg" review

go fuck yourself you insecure s.o.b.

qwe3

album is terrible

Knott-

album is lolbad

MassiveAttack
March 26th 2010

What an average release. Bored me if not for a few decent songs.

Plutonio

Lol.
And get rid of the comma after the last "down".

Plutonio
March 26th 2010

Yeah, so that's confusing; it's about as meandering as this whole album.

says?

since, considering needs to be omitted. The em dash needs to be a period.

A lot of other errors like this, but otherwise okay review. Next time, avoid track-by-track review formats, as they can oftentimes be summed up in a few sentences. Remember: A surplus of verbiage-words and phrases and other things of that sort, kind, or variety- tends to distort the author's purpose and obfuscate the dear reader.

mmfarva
March 26th 2010

Boring and pretentious. I'd say they're overrated, but I haven't heard a lot of the old stuff so it wouldn't be fair.

March 26th 2010

listened to it twice. i liked a lot of it but matt bellamy is your standard alterna-rock vocalist with the cheesy falsetto. it could use some guitar solos here

AliW1993
March 27th 2010

pretty good review, but for me almost everything here is either very average or plain awful

Foxhound
March 27th 2010

Not a bad review at all. Album sucks though.

IronyIsALivingScene
March 27th 2010

Porter Richards, keeping vagina's sandy since 2005.

ElutheriusAveilien
March 27th 2010

I've heard about two songs from this. Both were boring as all hell.

hoipolloi
March 29th 2010

i've just never been into muse, i gotta give this album props though just because it does not contain that god awful "knights of cydonia", that song makes my ears bleed, this album is at least kinda listenable

June 8th 2010

really? knights of cydonia "fucking awful" go die in a fire you dumbshit