ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION
Fanclub

by Eli Kleman EMERITUS
March 22nd, 2010 | 22 replies | 6,003 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With "Fanclub," we find Asian Kung-Fu Generation at their most thoughtful as well as accessible.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation (AKFG from here on out) hail from Yokohama, Japan. Formed in 1996, AKFG really hit popularity in the past decade. Arising from Japan's indie scene, the band has since become one of the biggest acts in their home nation. They consistently release albums and EP's, often twice in the same year. With a large fan base and with their popularity still on the rise, AKFG are a real force in the Japanese music scene.

AKFG are simply a rock band, with accents of western punk and alt rock. They generally utilize a fast tempo, but on "Fanclub" we find them at their most melodic, often slowing down their usual fast pace. This experiment on their sound really pays of with great songs like "Waltz in Code" and "Moonlight." The latter of which features a great Claude Debussy segment in piano. It's little accents like that which really add to the overall quality of "Fanclub." Said accents are also what make "Fanclub" the success that it is. Other releases have failed to capture the feeling this album does, and it's really great to see the band putting a little more emotion into their music. With "Fanclub" AKFG have taken a step away from their fun "summer band" persona, and made something a tad more personal.

The band's sound is fairly straightforward, utilizing guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. This straightforward approach is what makes AKFG so accessible, but it's always been their Achilles heel. For as solid and consistent as the band has been in their career, they do little to step outside the box. The vocalist does a fine job, not remarkable, but has enough variation to keep things interesting. But it's the guitar on "Fanclub" that really makes things interesting. While it may not be groundbreaking, some of the guitar parts are incredibly catchy and very well done.

AKFG have really crafted a solid album with "Fanclub." They add a lot more feeling and emotion to their already established sound. Unfortunately, it gets a little lost in the glut of alternative rock bands. But for those who can look past that will be treated to a wonderfully solid and consistent effort.

Recommended Tracks-
Waltz in Code
Blackout
Moonlight

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave A Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas

Sol-fa

World World World

Probably their best.

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

EnricoPalazzo
March 22nd 2010

Wait for your reviews to be off the front page before posting another.

PirateSquid
March 22nd 2010

Isn't this that one J-Pop band that is in all the Naruto and Bleach themes?

DoubtGin
March 22nd 2010

yeas.. Haruka Kanata is still awesome!

March 22nd 2010

Not sure, I don't watch naruto

opblaaskonijn
March 22nd 2010

Yeah, also in Full Metal Alchemist and countless other animé's.

blindsided21
March 22nd 2010

They did one Bleach intro, I know that for certain.

PirateSquid
March 22nd 2010

lol, I think they probably did something for Naruto, which makes them considerably less cool.

But yeah, these guys are pretty cool from what I remember.

Not as cool as The Pillows, but ya know

graygalz
March 26th 2010

not as cool? the song blue train is awesome. pretty much beat some indie rocker there..i think

Avid
December 10th 2010

Asian Kung-Fu Generation is better than the Pillows in having consistently good material, and they have better music just in general. The Pillows are my second favorite j-rock band though. Never hate on a musician for whatever you associate their music with. Take the music as it is and base it on nothing else. Not fair to let your other prejudices ruin someone's art if you're going to give it a chance at all in the first place.

Irving
December 10th 2010

OMG Xeno my approval rating of you just went up fifteen million points.

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

Haha, thanks man, I completely forgot that I wrote this

graygalz
December 21st 2010

i think world world world is better. the last half of fanclub seems to fall quickly, while WWW keep things interesting throughout the album, its full of melodies, better songwriting, more varied, and 'longer' feel on not so lengthy songs.

why am i ranting about it

Rev
April 27th 2013

hey i found a prehistoric eli review

krisducky001
August 6th 2013

Blue Train has the best drumming I've ever heard

heyadam
August 6th 2013

this is awesome haha. glad someone resurrected this, I just looked these dudes up and I'm totally digging.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

DurzoBlint
March 16th 2014

Really love these guys. The drummer is fun as fuck.

Rev
March 16th 2014

blue train was such a pain to learn

FadedSun
March 16th 2014

There are quite a few drummers in alt or rock bands from Japan that are just insanely talented, but most people would never notice.

DurzoBlint
March 16th 2014

The drummer from FACT too is really good. What others are there fadedsun?