Polar Bear Club
Sometimes Things Just Disappear

by nikk wimpee USER (2 Reviews)
March 20th, 2010 | 3 replies | 8,368 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you thought the days of generic music were over then I am certain you are wrong. However, these gentlemen seem to surpass this assumption making their own mark.

Every once in a while you’ll hear those bands that change your life or they make some sort of impact on you. Personally I believe this band has done this for me. Nobody wants to give up hope that there are still some potential for bands to come out with a record that will blow you the **** away and you shouldn’t. Polar Bear Club have handed out a record with such great honesty in lyrics and great musicianship that at first I overlooked them and re-tried out this album and I was wrong.

Since their first EP did so great it’s safe to say they progressed and found their niche. The vocalist Jimmy Stadt is definitely different from your average singer because he sings in a clean way at parts and mostly he has rough vocals similar to Chuck Ragan of Hot Water Music. It’s fair to say the guitar work is pretty damn good as it has basic structure with some technical parts played throughout the album that reminds me of Alexisonfire’s album “Watchout!”.

This band has a lot to offer in a few ways as a pop-punk band and as a hardcore band. The album has it’s flaws such as the guitarist Chris Browne tending to stick to the same pattern throughout each song individually and sometimes the vocalist has his habit of using his rough vocals in odd parts. Nonetheless, lyrics are definitely one of the strong points to this album:

“I miss the times in streets where we never got tired Laying down in the grass by the empty camp fire Like spies on the roof as we'd watch stars expire But the image is a million years old”

Overall this album is definitely worth it’s money and time you are willing to put in it because while they don’t design their own genre, they definitely push the boundaries within their genre. In anyway this album doesn’t disappoint if you loved their EP because they challenged themselves and stepped it up to make a very exciting album.