Sepultura
Chaos A.D.

2.0
poor

by Zipzop5565 USER (20 Reviews)
March 17th, 2010 | 45 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An OK album by itself, but when compared to earlier albums like Beneath the Remains and Arise, listening to this is like walking in on your parents having a Furry BDSM orgy: it’s not good.

In an attempt to expand their musical horizons and try something different, former Thrash-kings Sepultura put the brakes on their music and experimented with slower, groove-focused riffs on their album “Chaos A.D.” While there were hints of experimentation on “Arise”, the band expanded on these hints for A.D., adding Brazilian percussion in many of the songs, and their attempts were a success in many peoples’ eyes, except mine.

Listening to the first track of this album, “Refuse/Resist”, it’s instantly apparent that the band drastically lowered their speed. While some songs are somewhat faster than others, none of them get to the speed of “Arise” or “Beneath the Remains”, which is a bit saddening. It’s like if you had a father who was a prize fighting boxer/terrorist hunter who could rip the spine out of a grizzly bear with one hand, and you admired him your whole life, but one day he gets into a fight with a man in a pink bunny suit and loses. You can’t look at him the same way. Listening to the one thrash band that was faster than Slayer play slow, groove-laden riffs is simply heartbreaking.

Another drastic change comes in the form of Max Cavalera’s vocal delivery. Gone is the dark, brooding, and slightly evil tone in his growls. Instead, Max gives us a hardcore shout which sounds like he forgot the words to each of the songs, and it’s much weaker than his older vocal style. With this comes added effects, such as the echo on “Territory”, and these prove more annoying than interesting.

But, before I say this album blows, let’s take an honest look at the songs. The first track is probably the best on this album. “Refuse/Resist” starts with a death metal-ish riff that’s pretty catchy, but I’m still saddened that the song isn’t at the breakneck speed of their earlier albums. The solo is pretty good, though. Territory has some good drumming, but nothing special. The weakness on Max’s vocals is more present here. There’s nothing special about “Slave New World”, but “Amen” has a cool bass into and an interesting break towards the middle. “Propaganda” is okay, but they padded the end of the song with a breakdown-ish section, which just drags the song longer than necessary.

“Kaiowas” is supposedly the album’s landmark song, one that they play live all the time, but it’s boring. The first forty-five seconds of the song sounds like the band trying to get their guitars in tune. After that, the song’s okay, but still boring. I can appreciate them trying to incorporate Brazilian music into their album, but this just doesn’t work. If you have the re-release version with the bonus tracks, the demo version of this song is much better because there’s no forty-five second intro.

“Biotech is Godzilla” is probably the fastest and shortest song on the album, showing heavy influences in hardcore punk. The only good thing to come out of hardcore punk is thrash metal, but it’s a nice throwback to their earlier genre. After “Biotech” we get another song with a loud, annoying siren and “We Who are Not as Others.” This song is fantastic, but it’s ruined by Max’s vocals halfway through the song. Instead of leaving it an instrumental, or adding some original lyrics, they went the lazy way and had Max shout the song’s title about a thousand times in case you forgot it. The bass riff at the end is pretty cool, though.

After that, we get a cover of “The Hunt” originally by New Model Army, an English punk rock band. I’ve never heard of them before, but, like Orgasmatron, Sepultura does a good job making their cover sound better than the original. The album ends with “Clenched Fist” which is a boring song. There is a fast part, but it just makes me wish I was listening to something else. There’s an extended breakdown towards the end, like the album refuses to finish but knows it has to do so, but I couldn’t stand anymore and I shut off the song.

If you don’t have the re-release version, you’re not missing much. “Chaos B.C.” is just a techno remix of “Refuse/Resist” which makes me angry. You also get the “Kaiowas” demo, and some live tracks, nothing special. Unlike “Arise”, which had good bonus tracks, these are lackluster, just like this entire album.

So, are there any redeeming qualities to this album? Well, the drumming is still top notch, even if they slowed it down a lot. Also, the bass can finally be heard. There are a lot of bass drops, and the bass riffs are pretty interesting. That’s just about it, though. The guitar riffs are lame, boring, and too slow for this band. The band basically bukkaked themselves with suck with this album,even though the mainstream found this as their best effort. I think of this album as a gateway drug. Sepultura made this album as a test to see how people would react to their change in music style. Since everyone enjoyed it, they decided to continue down their experimental path with “Roots”. Perhaps if people realized how bad this album was, Sepultura wouldn’t have changed their focus to alt. metal / groove metal, and who knows what else what greatness would have come from this album? Instead, we got an alt. metal / groove metal album, Max Cavalera left the band, and Sepultura mired in obscurity for the rest of their days. It’s sad to see such greatness drawn and quartered.

This album is not as great as everyone thinks. It’s an O.K album, but compared with “Arise” and “Beneath the Remains” it doesn’t hold a candle. If this is your first foray into Sepultura, stay away. Stay far away from this thing. Just like Metallica, the earlier albums of this band are much better than the later ones. Think of this as the “Black Album” of Sepultura: it’s okay, but it only leads to more bull***. There’s much better out there, folks.

Last Days of Humanity Putrefaction in ProgressNocturnus The Key
Metallica Death MagneticNickelback Dark Horse
Lykathea Aflame ElvenefrisBullet for My Valentine The Poison
ScuroFantasma (4)
Heavy enough that drops of lead cling to each and every song…...

Robert Davis CONTRIBUTOR (5)
Less Thrash, more Change....

Grant Hunter (2.5)
With songs all of the same color, "Chaos A.D." is about as boring as watching an educationl channel,...

a_flower_blooms_as_i_decay_101 (4)

March 17th 2010

Another plus: The album cover looks pretty cool.

March 17th 2010

Well written. Disagree though.

EnricoPalazzo

^123

Yotimi
March 17th 2010

I love the slowed down groove riffs though

south_of_heaven 11
March 17th 2010

album is very very average.

March 17th 2010

On another review, I saw someone say Chaos AD was all you needed. This is incorrect. Anything from BTR or Arise blows this shit away

EnricoPalazzo
March 17th 2010

Just get all three, it's the best deal.

XulOnerom
March 17th 2010

Disagree with the rating, but good review. An improvement over your other Sepultura review, which had opinions passed out as facts in abundance. Kudos and pos'ed

This album is fucking awesome

Greenman
March 17th 2010

Album blows. Good review. I'll stick with BTR and Arise.

barneygumble
March 17th 2010

eh i like how this grooves without getting into Root's churny nonsense, not that roots is a bad album. im not really familiar with earlier sep but its on my to listen list

March 17th 2010

well, barney, do you like thrash or groove metal?

Xenorazr
March 17th 2010

This is the only Sepultura album I've heard thus far and it's good, if not great. Manifest, Biotech is Godzilla and Refuse/Resist are particularly enjoyable. I've seen Beneath the Remains on sale at my FYE for like $7 and have thought of buying it but keep on refraining since I always forget to check it out.

Well-written review even though I disagree.

Keilo
March 18th 2010

This was the first Sepultura album I ever bought. To me it's a classic. I appreciate Max's imperfect but passionate vocals. The guitar tones, drumming, and bass are a blend of musical perfection. I will always love this album and its uniqueness.

kveldulf57

average album? lol

ButcheredChildren
March 18th 2010

seriously 2 stars? what are you drunk? i am LOL seriously but i saw this and i shat 2 bricks, Chaos A.D. is a milestone in thrash history and Max Cavallera only partly does his faggot ass yells (yea ladies and gentlemen Max Cavallera yells he doesn't scream). The instrumental value of this album is unbelievable, sure its not a "Beneath The Remains" but its definately special. The only bad part about this album is when Sepultura tries to do those brief semi-instrumental/ ambient parts at the beginning of a song or inbetween songs. A-Lex was full of that crap with A-Lex I, A-Lex II, A-Lex III, A-Lex IIII. Seriously Zipzop5565 im drunk and i can still tell you off as to why this album is better than your review. If you don't like thrash metal then don't write a review for it because it compromises your ability to properly judge when writing the review. Idk what sub-genre of metal you appreciate most but whatever it is stick to that cuz this was terrible.

Piglet

Ah well. 2 negative reviews now yay

asaf

what butcheredchildren said

March 18th 2010

If you thought this album was a milestone in thrash, you haven't listened to their earlier albums.

Yotimi
March 18th 2010

I just think the review focuses too much on the fact that they slowed things down on this album. I don't think that's a bad thing, it allowed them to focus on the grooves rather than another fast thrash album that's been done a million times before.

south_of_heaven 11
March 18th 2010

Chaos A.D. is a milestone in thrash history

get fucking real kid. Chaos A.D. was a ridiculous 180 degree turn from thrash straight into shitty groove. The fact you're actually referring to this album as being important to thrash is making me want to vomit, unless of course you're implying that every other thrash act should take notice of what to never do in their career.

Sepultura died after Arise.

No it is a bad thing because groove is not thrash, and Sepultura was fucking awesome before the released this. Ugh this album is so watered down...