Yelawolf
Trunk Muzik

by Joe Schmoh USER (73 Reviews)
March 15th, 2010 | 23 replies

Yelawolf is one of the many pieces of proof that show that people who diss the dirty south scene in rap are just as ignorant as some of the artists from the area act, and his 2010 mixtape Trunk Muzik seems to keep pumping out those solid hits to make full-fledged New Yorkers who’ve never heard of him feel legitimately bad. Why? Because Trunk Muzik thirteen tracks of pure solid rap music from what seems like a mad chemists lab of rap experimentation.

To imagine what how horrible Trunk Muzik should be, imagine this. Imagine a verbalistic, white rapper, sort of like something one of those guys from Def Jux or Anticon, or maybe even early Eminem. Now give him a slight southern drawl, make him rap about ignorant stuff while still keeping that verbalstic attacks at hand, and give him a bunch of synth beats. Sounds horrible, right? Well, unbelievably, everything that sounds absolutely crazy and shouldn’t work here absolutely does with flawless results. “Good To Go” features a some glorious spacey synths and ridiculously energetic drums courteously of Jazze Pha, and not only does Yelawolf rip it with miraculous speed rapping flows and references to dirty south greats, but does the unbelievable and outshines Bun B in the process. “Speak Her Sex” features lazy, waddling Nintendo synths and off kilter drums, and the drifting nature of the cool instrumental allows Yelawolf to drop some ill punchlines and similes (“Robbin these rappers like me and Irene/ opps that’s dick in jane/ opps, now it’s my dick in jane/ I took a shot of jack d, and I threw the dice on the board like it was a Christmas game”)

The tracks seem to consistently prove that, oddly enough, Yelawolf is one of those guys that could save the dirty south from losing relevance in ‘hip-hop’ conversations. Trunk Muzik is one of those rare mixtapes that actually fit together pretty well as an album, and sound perfectly constructed. The lazily, stumbling synth instrumentals, shifting from keeping with Yelawolf’s aggressive flow, or slowing down a bit to let him spit ill lyrics, Trunk Muzik creates a relaxed, easy environment for Yelawolf to explore his hip hop topicality, going from coups, fame, and even relationships (“Love Is Not Enough” is actually quite touching), and never sounds like it’s a label push.

Trunk Muzik shows a rapper that absolutely SHOULDN’T be comfortable with being a dirty south rapper, both lyrically intelligent and ignorant at the same time, and yet so does. Yelawolf and Trunk Muzik are both surprise successes

Rick Ross Teflon DonKrallice Dimensional Bleedthrough
Method Man and Redman Blackout!Pharrell In My Mind
Freddie Gibbs The Miseducation Of Freddie GibbsE-40 Revenue Retrievin': Night Shift

I hate white rappers.

Illitoris
March 15th 2010

Yelawolf is terrrible, way too gimmicky. I like how this guy was booed when I saw him open up for Raekwon.

Yelawolf is terrible

And white. See the correlation?

March 16th 2010

I'm going to write a negative review for this to prove you're wrong.

SUMMARY: He's white, what do you expect?

SDFalco
June 1st 2010

don't hate on this stuff, i pos'd this, review is almost too short but i agree with it

crazyblinddude
June 20th 2010

Oh gawd, this is on sputnik. I saw this guy perform at a festival the other day. He was just horrible. Wanted to "get up in this bitch".

cirq

hes ok

crazyblinddude
June 20th 2010

Seeing him perform live and run around like a monkey didn't really help.

July 6th 2010

albums around a 3/5. the bun b collaboration rules

GnarlyShillelagh
September 14th 2010

Yo there're some good white rappers, but Gucci is straight garbage.

November 27th 2010

bumped this up to a 4. the I Wish remix fucking rules. can't find the lyrics for it though

November 27th 2010

you should
"i wish a mothafucka the best of lucka'"

joesmoe4000
January 3rd 2011

check out Big K.R.I.T.'s album K.R.I.T. Wuz Here definitely straight fire the south has been missing hip hop for along time.

Digging: Da Mafia 6ix - Hear Sum Evil

MalleusMaleficarum
March 16th 2011

"i wish a mothafucka the best of lucka'"

wow

Counterfeit
August 10th 2011

album is bomb

botb
August 12th 2011

just heard pop the trunk and was confused but i just can't stop listening to it, there's just something about it.

Digging: Solstafir - tta

climactic

19836 Comments

i know every word to that song

qwe3
August 12th 2011

dude spits fire when he wants to

botb
August 12th 2011

its just something awesome about it. the way he says pillow makes me cringe though

August 12th 2011

future of hiphop along with main attrakionz