Loscil
Endless Falls

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
March 8th, 2010 | 67 replies | 9,189 views

Review Summary: Let it rain.

Loscil has been honing the craft of electronic and ambient music for nearly a decade now, but never before has it been so resonating and touching. That being said, don’t expect loscil (the drummer from Destroyer) and his latest, Endless Falls, to spill out from the headphones. Fluid as it may be, thematically and aurally, Endless Falls remains a weighty and substantial experience. The ambient experience delivers a visceral experience far from stagnant, though, even if it does drag on rather slowly from time to time. Endless Falls, as you may have guessed by my diction, is almost entirely based on the theme of water. Submarines, bridges, and steam have all graced loscil’s releases before. It’s in Endless Falls that everything comes together.

Beginning and ending with the lamentful pitter-patter of raindrops, loscil makes the feeling of Endless Falls placid. Instead of a bubbly atmosphere or grandiose build-ups, loscil relies on consistency through fluid strings and ever-adjusting base, primarily. Pulsating and melodic at times, the looped drones hold a very relaxing quality. The individual songs, without exception, seem to last exorbitantly long, enough to lull you into an unwanted daze. Though, while the length can be a bit daunting, the overall tenor of Endless Falls is anything but morbid or haunting. Despite the abundance of more minimalist passages, loscil makes Endless Falls seem very natural. This being true even if it is seemingly devoid of emotion. During the addition of a spoken-word section in “The Making of Grief Point” (a la Destroyer’s Dan Bejar), loscil remains relatively neutral towards anything human. The result is an entirely natural experience that refuses to exhibit an ounce of humanity. This takes us back to the over-arching theme that is ever-present on Endless Falls... the raindrops, the water. I find it uncanny that I have such interest in music so devoid, so empty, but Endless Falls serves as the perfect foil to the emotional and the passionate, the sugary and the sweet; it provides us with the pureness of H2O to cleanse our palate.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
For Meatplow (3.5)
Ambient virgins, rejoice all you want. Wait until wisdom comes; you'll find there's much better....

19729 Comments

this is the first time I've really liked ambient music. hopefully you will too

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Ponton
March 8th 2010

It certainly looks interesting, though I think I have enough ambiant music to keep me for a while.

Nice review, Eric.

AggravatedYeti
March 8th 2010

hmmmmm i will check this out

Deviant.
March 8th 2010

This has never been for me, but good review

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

19729 Comments

cool- thanks guys... if nothing else (it's puuurty lengthy) check out the last song- it's fantastic.

Deviant.

Only track I really dig is Shallow Water Blackout

March 8th 2010

Sounds positively epic. Good review, most liekly will check out.

19729 Comments

just to be clear this is a little boring but awesome nonetheless.

NeutralThunder12
March 8th 2010

great review Eric, though a little short but the intro is very well written. Pos'd

thanks neutral! preciated...

YouAreMySilence
March 8th 2010

Hmm I am a massive Stars Of The Lid fan but I can't say I've enjoyed any of Tim Hecker's work.
Will probably check out. I really like the album art.

19729 Comments

I haven't heard Tim Hecker... both of those artists were recommended by lastfm and I'm not very well-versed in ambient soooo

iranscam
March 8th 2010

Haven't heard this yet but Submers is one of my favorite ambient albums.

Zion
March 8th 2010

Hecker's Harmony In Ultraviolet is good. Checking this out right now... been digging ambient a lot lately.

19729 Comments

I need to do these short reviews more don't I? I feel like people actually read it more then

Zion
March 8th 2010

Also I recommend the album Choral by the band Mountains. Really good ambient. And yes Sea, lately the short reviews are the only ones I'm likely to actually read. My theory is that time has actually started progressing faster.

zuzek
March 9th 2010

Solid review, I'll be checking this out soon.

March 9th 2010

19729 Comments

cool- glad people are checking this out... any last takers before it drops off the front page into sputnik obscureness?

qwe3
June 16th 2010

This guy is cool, need this album. good review too

June 16th 2010

19729 Comments

yeah believe it or not this is actually up there in my 2010... like top 15 which is impressive consiering it's such a quality year