Iron Braydz
Devil May Cry

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
March 5th, 2010 | 30 replies | 10,998 views

Review Summary: An old and new testament to the rise of UK Hip-hop

If 2009's Orphans of Cush release didn't put UK hip-hop on every radar, then Iron Braydz rounds up the slackers, lines them up with a fistful of Koranic lore, and blasts them with lyrical lazerbeams of apocalyptic musings. It becomes clear merely thirty seconds into "Devil's Death Day" - I found myself gaping at the verbal gymnastic spectacle - and remember thinking, specifically, a few choice expletives concerning my complete surprise and simultaneous overwhelming sense of apprehension. What does this guy think he's doing? Can he seriously carry this entire record? Incredibly, the lyricism just improves throughout the course - a near relentless assault at first, the tone is set quickly, with a real emphasis on the concept of minimal verbosity input versus high complexity output. That is to say, this isn't scientific-come-metaphysical rap by any means. In fact, combined with a flow reminiscent of MF Doom, Braydz pulls lyrical and content cues from Immortal Technique and early Jedi Mind Tricks, respectively. But better.

The origin of Devil May Cry becomes much more obvious within the brooding but atmospheric boom-bap. This isn't a simply rehashed mid 90s New York; it seems as if UK producers have taken this reference point in time, added their own interpretation, and truly made it their own. This modified NYC gritty production technique brings to mind Philadelphia forebears Jedi Mind once again, except this time much less frantically apocalyptic and symphonic. Most specifically, "Golden Legacy" touts an exquisite, pitch-shifting eastern melody atop this backdrop, while "Savin' Artillery" fast forwards to a synthetically futuristic electro-hop (appropriately Detroit-esque with Guilty Simpson's brilliant featured performance).

While White Noize was nearly analogous to early Wu-Tang Clan, Iron Braydz encapsulates this into a broad swathe of late 90s New York influence, yet somehow manages to stay modern. This is a true UK hip-hop statement through and through with constant reminders of the craft's quickly growing popularity and capability. It goes without saying (well not without, because I'm saying it now): this is highly recommended and will sustain itself as one of the premier 2010 hip-hop releases.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf

Check out "Golden Legacy" for free here: http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/3ndbeq

Buy Devil May Cry here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IronBraydz-Devil-May-Cry_W0QQitemZ270532227536QQihZ017QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZ%5C

Ponton
March 5th 2010

I really like the review. played the game of the same name a few times back in the day.

joshuatree
March 5th 2010

got this from that one thread from the hip hop forum but haven't even listened to it fucccck

DBlitz

yea this is good

alachlahol
March 5th 2010

lyrical lazerbeams? are you trying to scare me

Bulldog
March 5th 2010

You rec'd MM.. Food so I have to listen to this.

AggravatedYeti
March 5th 2010

nice to see a review of yours here.
I'll listen to this soon, sounds awesome.

Bulldog

Yea it's good to see another kingsoby1 review. But lol at his link

Buy Devil May Cry here

Buying music. HAHAHAHAHA

Good one.

iisblackstar
March 5th 2010

Was waiting for a 'worthy' hip hop review from you for the new year... disappointed it wasn't B. Dolan but o well. I think i was the only one who didnt see the link in the forum to download... guess ill actually be buying this since there's a Guilty Simpson appearance

NortherlyNanook
March 5th 2010

i liked this a lot, but i haven't listened to it as much as i wanted to.

savin artillery and devil's death day are so good

March 5th 2010

Yeah he's jsut an amazing lyricist, and the beats are much more solid than the OOC record. I like this one slightly more that said.

blackstar, i'll try to get a B. Dolan review out this weekend. It's probably tied with this one for my fav hiphop of the year... although this might nudge it out by bit.

Everyone should buy this, it's not terribly expensive and Braydz really deserves it. Real stand up guy... chatted with him over emails for a few days.

Phantom
March 5th 2010

This definitely sounds like it's worth checking out.

cvlts
March 5th 2010

where can you find this?

March 5th 2010

On ebay. Braydz is extremely talented at tracking down bloggers and requesting file removal.

Check the sample track and if you like it buy it! Just like the good old days...

Brownboy
March 6th 2010

just checked out his myspace and i realllly liked the song "HYPED".. i don't see it on the tracklisting here though, is it on the album???

iisblackstar
March 6th 2010

I'm assuming you emailed a copy of this review to braydz? What did he make of it? Couldn't really of asked for more me thinks.

March 6th 2010

yeah he was pumped for sure.

JizzInMyPants

album cover is kickass.

natey
March 6th 2010

not fast enough for natey

Burn2Burn
March 6th 2010

what an awful album cover.