The Magic Numbers
The Magic Numbers

by Senor_Whippy USER (22 Reviews)
September 11th, 2005 | 16 replies | 3,637 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Since when was Pop music so dull and uninspired.So weak and lifeless.Is there any way it can be saved.Yes by the Magic Numbers.The band who are gonna put the smile back into music.

Romeo Stodart:Guitar,Vocals
Michele Stodart:Bass,Vocals
Angela Gannon:Percussion,Melodica,Vocals
Sean Gannon: Drums

The Magic Numbers have that magical spark which has been missing from Pop music for so long.A mixture of brilliant songwriting and amazing harmonys have helped them create the best debut of 2005.Taking influences from Bob Dylan,Mamas and Papas,Lovin Spoonful and the Beach Boys.They deliver a refreshing and uplifting mix of sun-kissed Psychedelic Pop anthems.This album has already been embraced by critics and fans alike.As well as been nominated for the Mercury music prize.The biggest music award in Britain.The Magic Numbers aren't the thinnest or best looking band on the planet but they have the potential to become the biggest.

Picking a opening track to a debut is always going to be a tough decision but when your The Magic Numbers it's easy.'Mornings Eleven' sounds like it took ten minutes to write and put together but still sounds amazing.There's a strange country feel all way through the track and a bridge containing a beautiful three part harmony which takes you straight into a classic chrous.It leaves you a warm fuzzy feeling inside (No,really it does) which carrys on throughout the album.

First single 'Forever Lost' has vocals to rival The Beach Boys and has a brilliant laid back 60's Psychedelic vibe throughout.The lyrics show the talents of frontman Romeo incredibly well.''Don't let the sun,Be the one,To change you baby,I wanna learn,How to lie,If i'm to know,Cause I,Wanna go,Where the people go''.The middle eight/key change shows off vocal talents of female members Angela and Michele to a great effect.'The Mule' is a more slower track showing a band who are capable of anything without been self indulgent.Second single 'Love me like you' has the best song structure on the whole record.Building up with a chugging Guitar and bursting into a mesmerizing chrous.'Which way to happy' appears halfway into the album and sets the tone for the rest of the record.Slower and tender.Some of the track after this can drag.'This Love*' and 'Don't give up the fight' are the two worst tracks but they still have moments of greatness and brilliant vocals.Album closer 'Try' is a beautiful ballad.Containing only Romeo,his Guitar and the fantasic vocals of Michele and Angela.It ushers the album out and leaves you with a tear in your eye.

Overall:
The Magic Numbers first full length shows a band glowing with confidence and talent.Anyone who's sick of 80's revival bands should pick it up.In a genre full of Skinny boys and repeated beats.It's great to see a band of people who are guaranteed never to be seen on a 12 year old girl's wall playing the best Pop music Britain has seen for years.Buy it now and get practicing your ''I saw them first'' line cause The Magic Numbers are gonna be huge.

Pros:
+Great Lyrics
+Harmonys are amazing
+An originally sound

Cons:
-Some tracks can drag
-Some bits are a bit cheesy

Download:
Forever Lost (9.5/10)
Love Me Like You (9/10)
The Mule (8.7/10)
Which Way To Happy (8.2/10)
Try (8/10)

Website:
www.themagicnumbers.net

Record Label:
Heavenly Recordings

*No,it's not a Maroon 5 cover

Thanks For Reading

The Rapture EchoesArctic Monkeys Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?
Yeah Yeah Yeahs Show Your BonesThe Strokes Is This It
Kings of Leon Youth and Young ManhoodThe Prodigy Their Law:The Single 1990-2005
Andrew H. EMERITUS (4)

Med57
September 11th 2005

Has no-one reviewed this yet? Weird. Anyway, very good album, definitely one of the best of this year. I'll be very interested to see how they go on from here.

Apathy
September 11th 2005

Since when was Pop music so dull and uninspired.So weak and lifeless.
Isn't all pop dull and uninspired? Is this album like Stevie WOnder at all? If so, good. If not, .......

blueyxd
September 11th 2005

If this is anything like Custard, I'll probably like it. I've been getting back into simpler stuff lately. I'll have to look elsewhere to have a listen since I cant stream.

/will probably forget all about this and not get back with results

woofwoofwoof

haha :Drums

Med57

/fixes

Robert Crumb
September 11th 2005

I haven't heard this album yet.Want to.Will be released in the states in October.Hmm.

robo2448
September 11th 2005

I've heard of this band, but never heard anything by them. They certainly sound interesting though. I'll check them out. Good review.

Iai
September 11th 2005

Hopefully my rating says enough about my love for this band/album.

Zebra
September 11th 2005

I enjoy listening to this album on occasion.

RushHourSoul
September 13th 2005

I love the music on the album but the production ruins it for me.. For some reason everything sounds dull, recording wise.

I saw them at the IOW festival too, they really rocked it up. Good band.

Knoxvillelives
September 15th 2005

Real pleasant music
Great harmonies, nice guitar
Just great sort of Sunday music
Love Like You is amazin

F**k Forever
October 8th 2005

Nice review Senor have a cookie.

morrissey
October 8th 2005

I really wasn't impressed with this album. Not that it is bad - far from it, but there is nothing overly attractive about it.

edit: yeah I voted it average 2 seems low though...This Message Edited On 10.08.05

F**k Forever
October 8th 2005

If the production was better this would be a 5 star record because there's some brilliant pop song on here but it's just let down by the lazy production. This Message Edited On 10.08.05

br3ad_man
October 8th 2005

I love this album now but there are too many tracks. Nice review, but the punctuation in your opening paragraph made it seem a bit silly. Still, good work.

Senor_Whippy
October 28th 2005

Put this on the other day for another listen and was not impressed.