The Mountain Goats
The Coroner's Gambit

by Adam Thomas STAFF
March 2nd, 2010 | 121 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: At 5 AM I turned the radio on and an old mans voice sang a short sweet song, and then the static roared again hungry for blood...

By the time that John Darnielle, also known by his cloven alter-ego The Mountain Goats, set out to write 2000's The Coroner's Gambit he had nine full-lengths and almost double that amount of lesser known singles and EP's to his name, but he had still yet to fully come into his own. True, he had already created the bitter and divisive Alpha couple, a concept he would fully explore later on Tallahassee, and released two damn near flawless albums in Sweden and Nothing for Juice, yet those were just growing pains, a sign of things to come, a glimpse of the near limitless potential of Darnielle, his guitar, and a Panasonic RX-FT5000*boombox to record into. After a decade of honing his craft, The Coroner's Gambit marks The Mountain Goat's first masterpiece.

Like every Mountain Goats album before 2002's Tallahassee, The Coroner's Gambit is a musically simple, yet emotionally complex, collection of lo-fi gold, eschewing professional conventions in favor of intimate, homebrewed numbers awash in a tinny haze of tape hiss, charmingly under produced acoustic guitar, and buzzing vocals. Even on his earliest songs, Darnielle's hyper-literate prose was, and still is, one of music's best kept secrets, and the 16 songs on display here mark his evolution from bookish wordsmith to enlightened philosopher. Bittersweet and unnerving, the stories presented on The Coroner's Gambit, while mostly fictitious, are so hauntingly bare that it is hard to believe that Darnielle hasn't lived dozens of lives, each full of despair and distrust, as well as joy and rapture, displaying his uncanny ability to wrap his bleak musings on the best and the worst of human interactions in the prettiest of melodies.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndYOB Clearing The Path To Ascend
United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
4.2

Blindsided
March 2nd 2010

Inspired by our conversation last night?

PirateSquid
March 2nd 2010

oh yeah no it's a well known fact these guys have awful lyrics

March 2nd 2010

@joseph: yeah, it got me listening to this on repeat

Blindsided
March 2nd 2010

Good thing. Hopefully I'll get to their album before the weekend is here.
Listening to Dopesmoker right now.

when you get to We Shall All be Healed let me know what you think

SeaAnemone

20515 Comments

you're really the master of these concise reviews. they're much easier to read than some of the more detailed ones, yet unlike some newer reviewers you're able to fit in so much more substance because your diction is used so well... something I really need to work on.

anyway, the fact that the rec'd by reviewer has 3 of my all-time top 10 is no coincidence, it's a crime I don't listen to Darnielle more.

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

illmitch
March 3rd 2010

god i fucking love the mountain goats. great review, i need to listen to this album more - i usually stick with All Hail West Texas and Ghana.

March 3rd 2010

my favorite of his lo-fi stuff is this and Nothing for Juice. it's all great though

bungy
January 20th 2011

this world couldn't hold you, you slipped freeeee

Kris.

so good fuk

January 20th 2011

tbh this is my favorite review i've written. this album is so so so perfect.

bungy
January 20th 2011

that five line last sentence rules and sums it up perfectly

January 21st 2011

haha just fixed a year old typo in it. thanks for mentioning it so i read it over.

January 21st 2011

there will be no divorce is one of the best songs ever written

Bleekill
January 27th 2011

So many songs he writes are up there. I still love Coroner's Gambit and Jaipur the best off this one.

Death came a-calling today, I heard the bitter grace of his cadences. I couldn't say no, I couldn't say no.

family happiness is SO GOOD

thebhoy
March 30th 2011

here's an album I need pronto

March 30th 2011

the mountain goats are basically cormac mccarthy novels in music form

March 30th 2011

Can't wait to hear this.

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

AngelofDeath
March 30th 2011

Yeah, pretty stoked. Very consistent band. Album title is fucking awesome.