The Earth Bleeds
Beyond Your Final Hour (Demo)

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
February 26th, 2010 | 21 replies | 2,646 views

Review Summary: Yes, Beyond The Final Hour is only three songs long, but all three songs on display are great.

The Earth Bleeds is a two man metal project, hailing from merry ol' England. Taking influences from many various metal sub-genres, such as melodic death metal, thrash metal, and even power metal, The Earth Bleeds have managed to create their own, unique metal sound. The trademarks for The Earth Bleeds' sound are uplifting keyboard melodies, driving guitars, lots of double bass drumming, and raspy, angry vocals. The Earth Bleeds have yet to release a full length album, Beyond Your Final Hour being their second demo. Currently they are working on a new EP, but after that, a debut full length is expected to drop, possibly in late 2010 or early 2011.

So what makes this demo disc good? Well, for one, it is entirely original. The way the melodic guitars, uplifting keyboards and raspy, sometimes even black metal-esque vocals are mixed is quite honestly, baffling. I haven’t heard anything this varied in quite some time now. What's better, this doesn’t sound overdone at all. The only gripe I have with this sound, is that the keyboards often reach heights too cheesy and light - a dark undercurrent could give the songs a deeper edge. Other than that though, here, The Earth Bleeds have accomplished something to be proud of - they've managed to create a sound both aggressive and uplifting at the same time.

Due to its short length, Beyond Your Final Hour has no real surprise factor, but the songs on display all work very well. The production could be a bit better, as it muffles the excellent guitars in parts, but beneath there are some really good guitar licks and driving melodies. From the well-composed, melo-heavy "Then Sacrificed" to the strict "Regeneration" to the technical semi-epic "Beyond Your Final Hour", this disc is well worth listening to time and time again, especially when coupled with The Earth Bleeds' first demo, Keepers of Values. Together, the two demos make for an enjoyable twenty minutes of music, that is worth checking out by people into metal music in general (especially considering that the members of The Earth Bleeds have put their demos up for free download).

Being a little over ten minutes long, Beyond Your Final Hour obviously leaves the listener wanting for more, but the quality on display cannot be frowned upon. The saying "quality over quantity" proves to be very fitting with The Earth Bleeds. With two successful demos behind their backs, these guys are worth looking out for. As for now, download the two demo discs, and hear how the (young) earth bleeds.

MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless
Nocturnal Breed Napalm NightsThyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the North
Iskald Nedom Og NordPsyclon Nine [Order of the Shadow: Act I]
2.7

February 26th 2010

free download straight from the artist.

I am a bit unhappy with my conclusion, but maybe I'll beef it up later on

SCREAM!
February 26th 2010

I actually like the production they've got here. Add a black metal like atmosphere and creates more depth to the music. Without it, im worried it might sound more like your average melo death (good average melodeath nonetheless).

Well written review and such. Conclusion is kinda standard but it works.

Digging: Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

Hawks
February 26th 2010

This sounds pretty sweet. Good review dude.

Digging: Manners - Pale Blue Light

Nagrarok

hailing from merry old England

Whoo! Always a thing that tips the scales for me. I'll check this out later, however unfortunate it is that you picked the same day and time to post your review as me again. Change it to merry ol', and I'll pos ;).

February 26th 2010

haha, I'll actually do that, not because of the pos, but because it sounds cooler lol

Yeah check it out Hawks, it's free after all

BigTuna
February 26th 2010

Whatever happened to Benzum?

Digging: Common - Nobody's Smiling

Nagrarok
February 26th 2010

not because of the pos, but because it sounds cooler lol

I wasn't even serious about not giving the pos otherwise, just wanted to see that ol' there, haha. Hence the ;), of course.

February 26th 2010

Whatever happened to Benzum?
well he's no longer active on the site, but as you can see, he's constantly producing new music.

Thanks Nag

Ponton
February 26th 2010

Solid reviewing, Styles. I enjoyed reading and good find.

February 26th 2010

Thanks Jared. Also, how are things going for you? You able to handle writing for 3 sites at the same time? Because if you can't then you should totally drop one of those other ones haha. We need more guys like you around here.

Ponton
February 26th 2010

It's pretty busy, but I really love it a lot. I should have a review out for here later today. It's for something the other sites wouldn't cover.

February 26th 2010

cool, glad you're liking it. I don't know if I'm able to catch your review today as I'll be heading off soon, but I'll be sure to read it at least tomorrow

joshuatree
February 26th 2010

this is benzum's are you kidding me

February 26th 2010

Whoa, this IS Benzum....I miss that dude.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

pizzamachine

Good guy.

SCREAM!

Joshua why the 1 mang? D:

ninjuice
February 27th 2010

Got this today after seeing the review. Hopefully it's great. Lol at a 1.

Digging: Robin Skouteris - The King of ArtPOP

February 27th 2010

@Simon
prolly because Benzum said something to him in the past and now he's butthurt. Or he just doesn't like him.

@ninjuice
it's good for a demo, but I'm more excited to see what their full length will turn out like. This is definitely good for a few spins every once in a while though.

Essence
February 28th 2010

probably because benzum had the tendency to wildly overreact like a child to anything said to him, go off about it for several hours, and then cry and ask the mods to delete it

Athom
February 28th 2010

you had a way of getting to him that was rather lulzy.