Lil Wayne
Rebirth

1.0
awful

by Pterodactyl USER (1 Reviews)
February 23rd, 2010 | 30 replies

Review Summary: This is just another example of how not to make music.

Recently, Lil Wayne’s mainstream success has been astounding. His past two albums Tha Carter II and Tha Carter III sold 1.2 million and 1 million copies in their first weeks, respectively. In an attempt to gain even MORE fans, Lil Wayne made the decision to make a rock-rap crossover album, and he was self-assured it would be epic. But, after leaks, featured singles, and months of delays, Rebirth only sold 176,000 copies in its first week. Although his sales were screwed over by the music industry, with this awful album, Lil Wayne screwed his own career over.

This is surely not an album that will make me miss Wayne while he serves his time. Just by sheer observation of the track listing, it’s quite obvious that Lil Wayne will flounder around with the concept of rock. With no guests that obtain the slightest knowledge of the rock genre, Lil Wayne proceeds to abuse the guitar, and runs completely counter to the basic singing style of the rock genre.

Excluding “Drop the World” Lil Wayne approaches rock’n’roll singing in a god awful manner. With his whispy, asthmatic, syrupy voice and lazy delivery, Wayne brings absolutely no rock-esque energy to this rock album. In addition, the tragic misuse of the guitar is, quite frankly, despicable. The production fails to deliver anything but annoying, with watered-down screeches, unamplified power strumming, and uncoordinated breakdowns, Lil Wayne exhibits how little he knows about rock.

But, at least that’s the worst part. If it’s possible to get past the terrible instrumentals – which would be quite the impeccable feat – you can then move onto the poor lyrics. Ranging from depressed, heartbroken rants from a pedophilic perspective (“Prom Queen”) to black, violent angst (“Drop the World”) to examination of sexually attractive women (“On Fire,”) Lil Wayne words his lyrics in such a way that carefully scrutinization of Rebirth’s libretto results in facepalming. Re-rhyming is present, punchlines are absent, and intellectual metaphors remain to be found.

All in all, Rebirth is an album devoid of any quality presented in any way shape or form. Lil Wayne may not be able to make good music, and may be disappointed by album sales, but perhaps he shall learn how to conduct a proper album. This is just another example of how not to make music.

1.3
very poor
  • Henomeister (1)
    Quarantine the area, because Wayne is back infecting the world with his stupidity....

Jonathan Kroening (1)
    Heavily distorted guitars and bombastic rock drums littered with spoken verb, unfortunatel...

Rhinoceron (5)
    "Woke up this morning with my dick to the ceiling, fell asleep with anotha chick from my b...

Rudy K. STAFF (1)
    Rebirth is the kind of album only the painfully oblivious could make....

• Bulldog (1)
    NEW YORK TIMES...

Joe Schmoh (1)
    Oh god this is an atrocity... oh wait that wasn't a surprise......

February 23rd 2010

First review, please tell me what I can do better! I will gladly accept all forms of criticsm. Thanks.

hydeyomoney

uncoordinated breakdowns,

would say they're bridges and not breakdowns.

Rest is good, welcome to sputnik!

February 23rd 2010

Thank you. I like it here so far.

solid first review dude.

Thank you Bulldog.

JulesWin
February 23rd 2010

"In addition, the tragic misuse of the guitar is, quite frankly, despicable"
lol!

good review, specially for a 1st but this didn't really need a 4th review with a 1 rating, we get it, it sucks
ps dont think you used the word "impeccable" properly

but this didn't really need a 4th review with a 1 rating

Basically.

somberlain
February 23rd 2010

good 1st review but try doing something that hasn't been reviewed or if you do, give it another rating or bring something new with you review. we've already heard how much this sucks so let's move on.
nothing personal btw

TheWayfarerElectric
February 23rd 2010

But, that’s the worst part. If it’s possible to get past the terrible instrumentals – which would be quite the impeccable feat – you can then move onto the poor lyrics.

This should be, "But that's not the worst part. If it's possible to get past the terrible instrumentals - which would be quite the impossible feat - you can then move on to the poor lyrics."

The production fails to anything but annoying, with watered-down screeches, unamplified power strumming, and uncoordinated breakdowns, Lil Wayne exhibits how little he knows about rock.

Should be, "The production fails to deliver anything but annoying watered-down screeches, unamplified power strumming, and uncoordinated bridges. Lil Wayne exhibits how little he knows about rock."

February 23rd 2010

Yea, what TheWayfarerElecrtic said. But @TheWayfarerElectric, I think Pterodactyl might have actually meant, "but that's the worst part." because i think terrible suggests being worse than poor. idk.

ThePalestMexican
February 23rd 2010

This is quickly becoming another St.Anger

somberlain
February 23rd 2010

well in the context which he uses it, it seems that he meant

"that's NOT the worst part"

"This is quickly becoming another St.Anger"
I hope not, cause that would mean there will be about 10 more reviews for this!

February 23rd 2010

@somberlain - that's true. he should just change that sentence entirely.

GibTG
February 23rd 2010

Terrible choice for any review, let alone a first one.

Satellite

20826 Comments

"In an attempt to gain even MORE fans..."

I disagree wholeheartedly with that statement. I think he made this album because he truly believed that it would be well-received by fans and critics alike. And as bad as it is, there are scattered hints of genius throughout it. The guy just has no sense of direction whatsoever.

ReturnToRock

Pterodactyl,

Welcome to the site!! Very nice first review!

However, I would advise you to work on lenght and, next time, pick an album/review that does not run the risk of sounding redundant. As you can see, there are four 1/5 reviews for this album already, including yours. To make an impact here, you should present something new, as well as keep the quality evidenced in this review.

Pass marks this time, but here's hoping your next effort is even better!

Grade: A minus.

Professor ReturnToRock

ThePalaceOfWisdom

Dear Pterodactyl,
Your name reminds me of Alligator. I don't like Alligator.

I don't like Alligator.

Alligator changed his name to "DoucheBag." I lol'd.

HugCrewLoveRoll
February 24th 2010

"Tha Carter II and Tha Carter II"?

asaf
February 24th 2010

I dont know. This isnt that bad... Then again, I love auto tune. Runnin' and Knockout can be fun... Knockout reminds me of Blot Out The Sun (secret track) on the new American Me album.