Opeth
Watershed

good

by Dembek USER (5 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2010 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is probably Opeth's worst album, while that is not bad, as Opeth's albums are better than the majority of music that is out there today. It still doesn't say much for Opeth.

When I first heard of Opeth, I was taking a chance on a band I had never heard of, at a local record store, I was a teenager, and I was looking for my next favorite band, and here comes Opeth. The album, Blackwater Park. Upon first listen I was floored, I had never heard anything so beautiful, or brutal in my life. Instantly I became a fan, and I have followed Opeth through the years, and by listening to this music, I became a fan of music like this.

However, I did start to notice an ongoing trend with Opeth's music, it tended to get more progressive with each release, and upon the release of Ghost Reveries, keyboards had been added into Opeth's music and added a new depth which Opeth had never had. And I believe this has kind of ruined Opeth. I used to blame Stevin Wilson (Porcupine Tree) for Opeth's more progressive leanings, as he produced Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and the mostly clean Damnation. But it seems that did not change once they tapped Jens Bogren, who is a very respected producer/engineer.

After Ghost Reveries, Opeth went through a massive lineup change, with drummer Martin Lopez, and guitarist Peter Lindgren leaving the band. Personally I did not think they could recover from that. And I'm still not sold on Fredrik Akesson (Arch Enemy, Krux) on guitar, and Martin Axenrot (Witchery, Bloodbath) on drums. They are solid musicians, but I don't think they fit with the type of style frontman Mikaeal Akerfeldt plays. With months of touring under their belt, they went into the studio, to record Watershed.

The album starts out with the opener "Coil" featuring Natalie Lorichs, this acoustic track surprised me, as it is very short, and just a very weird way of starting an Opeth album. "Heir Apparent" comes in after with a brooding intro that reminds me of something from "My Arms Your Hearse" and it immediately makes up for the first track of the album. The song however gets stale very quick, and it doesn't seem to flow very well. The Instrumental outro makes up for some of this, but even then, it drags a bit too long. "The Lotus Eater" is where Opeth decides to change things up a bit, and you can really start to tell where this album's waters are treading. It starts out like any traditional Opeth song, but quickly changes into keyboard interludes, and numerous time changes, up to this point the band sounds pretty good together, and this is one of the album highlights. The next track is "Burden" and this song, is probably one of the most beautiful Opeth songs ever written, and Akerfeldt's guitar solo is mesmerizing to say the least, and this song makes up for a lot of the albums mistakes. "Porcelain Heart" the album's single, was boring to me, and it seems to me Opeth is starting to steal old riffs of theirs, kind of similar to what Dream Theater likes to do often. I have to disagree with putting 2 very slow songs right next to each other like that, as they start to make the album drag on (kind of like this review)

"Hessian Peel" is a very odd track, but I seemed to enjoy this one more than I thought I would, the acoustic guitar work, and drumwork are very well done here, and death vocals are present on this track, and it is a welcome breath of fresh air for me to say the least. Closer "Hex Omega" is another one of those odd tracks, and it never really stands out like some of the first half of the album.

The album as a whole, is full of well written music, and at times chaotic, beautiful, and somber, but its not Opeth, I do have an open mind, and I enjoyed this album very much, but this is Opeth's worst album to date, Akerfeldt and Co. can do better.

Insurrection
February 22nd 2010

Thank goodness you reviewed this because we really were in need of another review.

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

bloozclooz
February 22nd 2010

pretty good review, but it won't surface above the other 11 reviews for this. find some of your fav bands that don't have reviews. that's what i'm doing.

Eclectic
February 22nd 2010

Didn't like the review that much, and it was unnecessary.

"Coil" is a weird way to start an album? Explain

"The next track is "Burden" and this song, is probably one of the most beautiful Opeth songs ever written, and Akerfeldt's guitar solo is mesmerizing to say the least, and this song makes up for a lot of the albums mistakes."
And and and and and, break it up a bit.
Try this: "The next track is "Burden", this song is probably one of the most beautiful Opeth songs ever written. Mikael Akerfeldt's guitar solo is mesmerizing to say the least and the song makes up for a lot of the album's mistakes"

Those are just my thoughts, it was decently written despite the flaws so I won't neg.

Yes, as has been said this was an unnecessary review.

SeaAnemone

20374 Comments

This review is composed almost entirely of run-on sentences. Like probably 80% of them. Neg'd, but I'll change it to a pos' if you fix them.

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

Greggers
February 22nd 2010

Not bad though you don't back up some of your points, and this was a rather unnecessary review tbh.

Also a lot of users are not a big fan of track-by-track reviews, so try to discuss the album as a whole instead.

bloozclooz
February 22nd 2010

go check out my carnifex review dooods. it's so broootal! i punch midgets while listening to it!!!!!!

eternium
February 22nd 2010

You're not so good at the English language, are you?

February 22nd 2010

There aren't enough ands in this sentence and there aren't enough grammatical errors. Oh, and this doesn't go on long enough; I'm not bored yet.

The album, Blackwater Park.

I love how you disregard any sort of punctuation except for commas and periods; I also love how you have so many grammatical errors, run-ons, and sentence fragments.

I adore how you show no grammatical knowledge at all. It's not supposed to read like this at all:

Upon first listen, I was floored;(.) I had never heard anything so beautiful, or brutal in my life.

This sentence doesn't make your objectivity towards the album seem impure at all. Also, it doesn't run on and use and and and too and many and times.

You don't ruin your best sentence here with too much information.

And I believe this has kind of ruined Opeth.

Awesome way to start off a sentence with "and". Refer to two snide comments above.

February 22nd 2010

In response to the comment above:

So being surprised by a musical concept is bad, also, way to ignore the fact that short tracks aren't that odd, and I love the run-on.

Now for something completely different...

You contradict your opinion that is shown in the next two sentences here:
Opeth is starting to steal old riffs of theirs, and here: Closer "Hex Omega" is another one of those odd tracks, and it never really stands out like some of the first half of the album.. However, if you are trying to say the instrumental at the end on "Heir Apparent" is nice, you did a great job of getting your point across. Perhaps that's because of the grammatical errors and excessive run-ons.

February 22nd 2010

You have a great way of exemplifying yet another run-on filled with grammatical errors.

SeaAnemone

20374 Comments

what he said ^ I just didn't take the time to say it.

February 22nd 2010

Oh, and by the way, the next time you review six albums in two days, make sure you're good at it.

Thank you, SeaAnemone.

Bfhurricane
February 22nd 2010

Great points, but as has been already said, this review lacks grammatical coherence. That's the only reason you've got negs.

I love this album because it's their most progressive and accessible, but it doesn't sacrifice awesomeness.

JulesWin
February 22nd 2010

"Oh, and by the way, the next time you review six albums in two days, make sure you're good at it"

exactly

TheWayfarerElectric

Adding to everyone's criticism:

Track-by-track reviews aren't very effective, as what can be said in one or two paragraphs can account for any noteworthy parts mentioned in your tbt.

Also, contradictions run amok in this review. Plutonio already mentioned that. However, I don't think he put enough emphasis on it.

In short, listen to what JulesWin and Plutonio said... they seem to have some idea as to what they're talking about.

Asiatic667

pretty boring album really

cratos76
February 23rd 2010

i didn't like it....have to agree with you ,this is their worst......save burden

SCREAM!

pretty good review
This is one of the reasons why this site is going down...if the review is bad don't try to make him feel better by telling him it isn't. Otherwise he'll just think he's doing great and keep doing what he's doing. People get better through constructive criticism and its annoying how everything is always good here without ever requiring any changes.

Anyway, people have already mentionned what needs to be changed here (tbt, contradictions, unecessary review, etc). Work on those and with a bit of practice you'll get the hang of it. Sorry for sounding harsh at first but there's just some little things that have been bugging me around here lately so don't take it personally haha