Borknagar
Universal

by Dembek USER (5 Reviews)
February 21st, 2010 | 44 replies

Review Summary: I find this album to be much better than "Epic" and definitely better than "Origin" it will not let down Borknagar fans very much, and they have added some different things into their music to keep it from being stale. However I don't think this is going

Borknagar....Borknagar..Sorry I had to say that one more time, has been around for quite a few years now, founded by Øystein Brun, previously of Molested (this dude loves his band names) decides that one day he is going to create a black metal supergroup, and call it Borknagar. Yep that's right Borknagar. There has been a revolving door of musicians throughout the bands inception, as the band's first lead singer was Garm of Ulver, fronted the band for their first 2 discs. ICS Vortex, or simply Vortex, or to some of you, the guy who sings in Dimmu Borgir (He has since been fired from Dimmu Borgir as of 2009) For their most popular albums, "The Archaic Course" and "Quintessence" Vortex leaves the band, and in comes Vintersorg, who continues to front this band, and is the current vocalist on this here album "Universal"

This is definitely a different album than their previous works. All of the songs sound very polished, and it seems that things are finally clicking, and as I mentioned before, Vortex comes back into the fold, I'm not sure what type of role he plays in this band now, but it seems he is easing himself back in it. Wouldn't that be nice if Vintersorg, and Vortex were permanent members? I'd like to think it would be.

The album kicks off with "Havoc" which is a good way to start off any metal album in my opinion, and it's a pretty solid track. Things start to get a little progressive with the next song "Reason" and things seem to get more and more progressive as the album pushes onward. On a side note: I do believe Vintersorg's vocals have really improved on this release, I am not sure if it is the production or what, but he sounds good throughout.

Things start to get a little different with "The Stir of Seasons" a very progressive track with clean vocals throughout, I kind of feel like Vintersorg replaced Jonas Renske of Katatonia just for fun, or Arcturus let him in the band for a few minutes. Either way its not a mind blowing track by any means.

"For A Thousand Years to Come" and "Abrasion Tide" keep the middle part of the album at a nice pace, and kept me from getting bored halfway through listening to this. "Fleshflower" makes me laugh, I really hope they wrote this song as a joke, because that is what it is. I didn't know hippies were allowed in black metal.

Following "Fleshflower" is "Worldwide" which I thought was going to be another "Fleshflower" but I was proved wrong, and I am happy with that.

"My Domain" is easily the best track on the album by far, and it features I.C.S. Vortex, and boy does he fit in with this band like Michael Jackson's glove. It is such a beautiful song from start to finish, truly enjoyable, and Vortex's vocals are so unique, its just an awesome closer.

Unless you have the 2 bonus tracks "Coalition of the Elements" and "Loci" which is all but 2 minutes of Vintersorg doing his best Mikael Akerfeldt impression. "Coalition of the Elements" is a nice bonus track though for fans of Borknagar.

3.1
good
TerraIncognita (2)
Borknagar have finally become too self-indulgent....

Urd

Origin

Epic

Empiricism

February 21st 2010

I have this but have yet to listen to it. Probably will now.

Review needs some work. Be a lot more descriptive about the music and try to steer clear of track-by-track reviews.

February 21st 2010

I definitely need to listen to this. I love pretty much everything Borknagar has ever put out.

TheSpirit

Is this even out yet?

Digging: Volahn - Aq Ab Al

February 21st 2010

Depends where you live. It's out on the 22nd.

February 21st 2010

decent review, on the fence with the band personally. Somebody however needs to review Molested's Blod Draum. Underrated as fuck.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

February 21st 2010

I'm getting that album now upon your mentioning Balls.

PrettyToney
February 22nd 2010

Definitely grows on you with time like most Borknagar/Vintersorg albums. The first time you hear it there's too much to comprehend and nothing stands out, but if you give it a chance it's a really good album.

CutMan
February 22nd 2010

I've been meaning to listen to Borknagar for a while now, your review got me thinking about them again. Would you say this is a good introduction, or should I dig back into their discography?

jingledeath
February 22nd 2010

I'm sorry but this is the worst thing I've heard this year.

Dembek
February 22nd 2010

If your trying to get into this band with this album, I wouldn't say it's a terrible start, but personally I enjoyed "The Archaic Course" but that album featured Vortex and not Vintersorg, their best album in my opinion with Vintersorg was Empiricism

pizzamachine
February 22nd 2010

Don't like this at all even though its great.

February 22nd 2010

CutMan start with Empiricism. One of their best and easy to get into.

bloozclooz
February 22nd 2010

so who wins the silly name competition here? i think "naglfar" might put up a good fight.

come on ... "nay-gul-far"? "nah-gul-far"? or "na-gul-far"?

either way, it sounds hilarious

Wizard

19607 Comments

Once again, album isn't streaming or released yet so I would advise saving this review.

Digging: Full Of Hell & Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

CutMan
February 22nd 2010

Grabbed Empiricism, will check out soon. If I like it, I plan to get more. Thanks, guys.

Thor
February 23rd 2010

lol Vortex isn't even in this band right now wtf are you talking about

that being said, album is good so far

February 23rd 2010

I'm sure this album is much better than the average rating of 3 that it has.

mothman
March 3rd 2010

i plan to get this album! love borknagar!

Wizard
March 3rd 2010

19607 Comments

I'm sorry but this is the worst thing I've heard this year.

Listening to this now and it's worse then Dark Tranquillities new album.

jingledeath